Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse problems

Options
  • 11-08-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last week, I've had trouble creating new Android projects. Basically, I can't get the option to create a new "android project". Instead, I am given "android application project" and three other options as below

216558.jpg

Earlier this week, I tried reinstalling Eclipse from the EE to one of the simpler Java-only IDEs (had a few issues but mainly found the EE slow at times) and started having this issue since. I've tried different Eclipse installs, including reverting back to the EE and even trying some of the older archived versions of Eclipse, but they all lead to the same thing. I've tried removing and reinstalling the Android SDK, but that doesn't help.

My main issue with using the "android application project" option is that it had a more longwinded wizard and when the project is created, it has a load of erroneous sh1te lying around and has a few errors which I don't know where to begin fixing. I am still in the learning phase of Android development and every single tutorial out there follows the old "android project" creation method.

Anyone experience this or have any idea if Eclipse has changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

The option to create a new 'Android Project' is now 'Android Application Project'. The change came after Google IO when new Developer Tools were released. The only way to go back is to install an old version of the SDK Tools.

The new way does produce more code but I don't see that as a bad thing. Its pretty easy to delete it all if you don't need it but its also pretty handy for writing code you were going to have to write anyway.

The code produced runs perfectly fine for me and doesn't produce any errors. If you want to post the errors up maybe somebody could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thanks. That explains a lot. I'll try reverting back to an older SDK so I can continue with what I was doing.

Most of the errors appeared in the assorted XML files. First error was always in the manifest file so when I tried fixing that, it kinda started a chain reaction. To be honest, my knowledge of XML only goes as far as what I've been using for Android. If reverting to an older SDK doesn't work out, I'll just spend more time on figuring out XML

There really isn't much to XML. Just make sure it is well formed.

You could try this XML Tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Stuck with the same SDK and it worked fine. The only thing I did differently was leave the "create custom launcher icon" box ticked (i previously unticked it) and low and behold, no errors upon project creation.

Think I'll just have to get used to this. Still have loads to learn.

Stuck with the same SDK and it worked fine. The only thing I did differently was leave the "create custom launcher icon" box ticked (i previously unticked it) and low and behold, no errors upon project creation.

Think I'll just have to get used to this. Still have loads to learn.
    That shouldn't make a difference, anytime I leave it unticked it just puts the standard Android icon in as the launcher icon. I'd check that you have all of the SDK and tools downloaded correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There are always errors when you try to open an old project with a newer sdk. Easy to fix tho -> project properties -> android tools -> fix project settings.

Advertisement