Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Server Providers and Plugins

• 11-08-2012 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

I thought maybe we could have a thread on the various server providers and plug-ins that people recommend or dislike. There doesn't seem to be any kind of useful resource out there for people looking to set up there own server. I know the boards Tekkit fellas got stung with a terrible provider first time around.

I'll start with my own plug-ins

ChopTree2 - Chop a tree with an axe and the whole thing comes down. No more floating trees and you don't have to spend ages chopping.

SafeCreeper - Creepers can't destroy environment. Vital on a Tekkit server as far as I am concerned.

McBans - Keeps a list of players banned on servers using this plug-in. Also allows extra commands ingame. Debatable as to how reliable this plug in is. If an admin takes a disliking to you he could ruin your rep for a while and make it hard for you to get on servers.

Death Chest - When you die your stuff is put in a chest. Good plug-in if you don't want stuff stolen when people die but it really depends on what kind of server you want to run. It's pointless on a survival server but useful on a creativity one.

Permissions Ex - allows you to choose what players can and can't do. Vital for running a server.

Essentials - Lots of new commands for you to use. Very handy for admin work.

Core Protect - Allows you to investigate who places and removes blocks. Very important for finding griefers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Gaming-Solutions.com provide quality game hosting.

They have 12 different hosting locations all over Europe, unfortunately not in Ireland.

All servers run on quad core Xeons with gigabit connections.

I've bought a few servers there myself for other games and they're top quality. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

MagicSean wrote: »
    SafeCreeper - Creepers can't destroy environment. Vital on a Tekkit server as far as I am concerned.

There's an option in essentials config for disabling creeper damage. Saves installing extra plugins.
    McBans - Keeps a list of players banned on servers using this plug-in. Also allows extra commands ingame. Debatable as to how reliable this plug in is. If an admin takes a disliking to you he could ruin your rep for a while and make it hard for you to get on servers.

Yea, its debatable as to how good it is. People have had to buy new accounts because of this plugin.
    Permissions Ex - allows you to choose what players can and can't do. Vital for running a server.

+1, very intuitive once you get past the initial config setup.

Can't work without it.
    Core Protect - Allows you to investigate who places and removes blocks. Very important for finding griefers.

Caused catastrophic lag with us. Nice interface though. We replaced it with LogBlock.

Add to the list:

World Edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I haven't used world edit. Is that the one that allows you to protect certain areas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I haven't used world edit. Is that the one that allows you to protect certain areas?

Nope, that's world guard. World edit is more of a utility tool for admins for editing large areas of land. You can use it to move buildings around, convert materials, fill or delete chunks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

deconduo wrote: »
    Nope, that's world guard. World edit is more of a utility tool for admins for editing large areas of land. You can use it to move buildings around, convert materials, fill or delete chunks etc.

We use it on tekkit to refill the quarries, Its also quite handy for building if you get used to using the commands. Though its copy and paste commands are very weird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Ok I can't edit my opening post so i won't be able to update it. Guess I'll just post the updated list here.

Plugins

ChopTree2 - Chop a tree with an axe and the whole thing comes down. No more floating trees and you don't have to spend ages chopping.

Death Chest - When you die your stuff is put in a chest. Good plug-in if you don't want stuff stolen when people die but it really depends on what kind of server you want to run. It's pointless on a survival server but useful on a creativity one.

Core Protect - Allows you to investigate who places and removes blocks. Very important for finding griefers

Logblock - Similar to Core Protect but less laggy

Worldedit - utility tool for admins for editing large areas of land. You can use it to move buildings around, convert materials, fill or delete chunks etc.

Server Providers

Gaming-Solutions.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Kenno90 wrote: »
    We use it on tekkit to refill the quarries, Its also quite handy for building if you get used to using the commands. Though its copy and paste commands are very weird

How do you mean weird? They're fairly straight forward imo

Also, you don't need safecreeper, you can disable that in the Essentials config :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Tallon wrote: »
    How do you mean weird? They're fairly straight forward imo

Also, you don't need safecreeper, you can disable that in the Essentials config :)

For tekkit it doesn't copy over certain stuff and could replace them with random blocks

Ye no need for safecreeper as its easily disabled in Essentials

Advertisement