Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions needed on tools to develop demo Android smart app

Options
  • 11-08-2012 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Could you give me some suggestions on what to use to put a demo Android App together. It's needed pre-end of August. Ideally to run on both phone and tablet, tablet option is a must.

Basically, I've various tables in a MySQL database that'll need to be read and displayed in a user friendly way. No major logic control needed for now, just format and display info.

Any and all suggestions welcome. My budget is as good as ZERO! Would be v-happy to look at trial versions if they have at least a 30 day lifespan.

I will be looking at an iOS version once I've presented and got feedback from the Android demo. On the database engine front I'm not tied into MySQL would be just as happy with Postgres. For the demo I'd be v-v-happy to keep all data on the smart device, would head off issues with wifi/3G coverage during my presentations.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Firstly, I don't know if adding **URGENT** to the front of your post is really going to get more answers to you quickly.

Secondly, you never specified what you own background/expertise is… As such, I'd like to assume you're a developer (as you're posting in the Development forum :)) so I'd say would you not just download the Android SDK & use your favourite IDE? If it's just a proof of concept, displaying tabular data from SQL with no frills, is there a reason that you would need a specific tool for it?

If you're not a developer, you'd need to give a bit more background to get meaningful advice on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Thanks feathers, much appreciated. I've a lot of dev' experience but this is my first venture into smart device apps and I'm somewhat in the dark.

I've a lot to learn over the next couple of weeks. I've pulled down the SDK tools and started my journey!

Your quick response is very much appreciated :-)

Have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Feathers wrote: »
    Firstly, I don't know if adding **URGENT** to the front of your post is really going to get more answers to you quickly.
    The **URGENT** nearly actually turned me off posting.

Is your 'lot of dev' experience' in Java or similar?

Android does not have MySQL or Postgres. It uses SQLite and has a database helper API to help you interact with the SQLite database. Also if you want your app to look nicer easier design with API 14 as your minimum SDK (providing whatever phone your app will be running on has API 14 or higher) and use one of the Holo themes as a base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Kavrocks wrote: »
    The **URGENT** nearly actually turned me off posting.

Is your 'lot of dev' experience' in Java or similar?

Android does not have MySQL or Postgres. It uses SQLite and has a database helper API to help you interact with the SQLite database. Also if you want your app to look nicer easier design with API 14 as your minimum SDK (providing whatever phone your app will be running on has API 14 or higher) and use one of the Holo themes as a base.

Thanks Kavrocks. As mentioned in previous post I'm new to the app dev space. Sadly the only Java I've used until recently was of the coffee variety!!!

I've already installed the SDK with the highest rev available.

Again many thanks to You and Feathers for your invaluable responses.

Regards

PS I've removed the offending word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Thanks Kavrocks. As mentioned in previous post I'm new to the app dev space. Sadly the only Java I've used until recently was of the coffee variety!!!

I've already installed the SDK with the highest rev available.

Again many thanks to You and Feathers for your invaluable responses.

Regards

PS I've removed the offending word.

Hopefully you'll make the move to mobile fairly painlessly :). Though it's something I need to give more time to myself, haven't done any commercial work in it as yet. This post on Stack Overflow may be of use, points to some Android apps examples for SQL integration.

Good luck with the demo, post back if you've any specific issues. & good man for making the thread title more friendly ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement