Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going from red hair to brown?

• 11-08-2012 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Is the old hairdressers myth true? Will the red be impossible to get out and just keep coming through any colour put in? I've been using semi permanent red in my hair for a year now but I'm sick of it fading away to a yukky orangey winey colour after only 2 washes. I want to go back to brown but can't afford to go to the hairdressers.... I put a semi permanent brown in last week but the red came back through (only not as bright) after 1 wash :( What are my best options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I used ColourB4 Extra Strength on my dyed red hair a few weeks ago. Lifted the colour right out. I went to hairdressers to get highlights after it and she commented on how my hair was in good condition following the colour removal, much better than if she has lightened it. Only downside is that it smells freekin horrible! You can get it in boots in the hair dye section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

It takes a few dyes for the brown to last over the red.

I used permanent red hair dye and before I put the brown in I washed it with fairy liquid and Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo a few times a day for 3 days (Use LOADS of conditioner with it, its really drying on the hair, and a hair mask at the end of the day so it won't dry completely). That got a good bit of the red out (my hair was bleached underneath it) and then I put the brown in (permanent again) and after maybe a week and a half the red started to show through. I dyed my hair every three weeks for a while and then the color started to take better. It's nearly a year later now and my natural brown is growing back and I only need to dye my hair brown (I'm growing it long so I still need to dye the ends to match the roots) every 3-4 months.
    That's just my experience of covering the red, might not work for all.

I used Boots Permanent Hair Dye in Dark chocolate brown and I find it great. Boots own brand is actually quite good.

I wouldn't recommend stripping the dye from your hair. Its expensive and really damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think you need to go permanent, and a fairly dark colour too.
    You still might get a red tinge, but after 2-3 dyes it should go.
    I love Clairol Nice 'N' Easy, or Garnier Nutriesse Creme.
    Maybe go for a dark brown with words like 'cool', 'ash' and 'frosty' in the title.
    They will do a better job of neutralising the red, where as dyes with 'warm' and 'golden' in the title may have brassy, redish tones to them. :)

Advertisement