Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kindle email question

• 11-08-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

iv heard that you can send books to your kindle from my email account so that when i turn on the wifi on my kindle it will sync with the book i sent.
    does anyone know how to do this? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    iv heard that you can send books to your kindle from my email account so that when i turn on the wifi on my kindle it will sync with the book i sent.
    does anyone know how to do this? thanks

The last thing I wrote about on my blog was on transferring books to my kindle via wifi using my smart phone, some Linux and python. The email idea would be easier. I'll research it and get back to you.

EDIT:

From Amazon help:
    When you register your Kindle device, you'll automatically be assigned a Send-to-Kindle e-mail address. You can find this address from your Kindle's Settings screen:

From the Home screen, select Menu.
    Select Settings, then use the Next Page button to scroll to the second page.
    Your Kindle device [name]@kindle.com e-mail address is listed under the Device E-mail heading.

So from that I take it to mean that once you know your "send to Kindle" address, all you need to do is send an email and attach a book, and it will arrive in your library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I might be wrong, but I think you're confusing two different ideas.

You can mail personal documents to your myname@kindle.com, and those will then be transferred to your device when wifi is on, but there's a fee for that:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_email_200375630?nodeId=200375630&#email ($.99 per MB)

Why are you trying to email a book to your Kindle? If it's a "free" book that's on your PC, can you not just connect it? If it's a booked purchased from Amazon, it will sync to your Kindle when wifi is on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for the replies. I just tried it,sent a mobi file to myname@kindle.com and turned on wifi and it downloaded to my kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thanks for the replies. I just tried it,sent a mobi file to myname@kindle.com and turned on wifi and it downloaded to my kindle.

Good Job!

I usually buy my Mum and Dad Amazon vouchers for Christmas(both have Kindles), but it woud be nice to be able to not just give them the voucher, but send them a book and have it download automagically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Could you let us know if you get charged for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Well I don't think I was. I didn't receive any email saying that anything was charged so i don't think i was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Your address is "someone"@kindle.com. Change it to @free.kindle.com, it still gets there and no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

dermiek wrote: »
    Your address is "someone"@kindle.com. Change it to @free.kindle.com, it still gets there and no charge.

how do I do this? I just tried to change the email of littleted@kindle.com and it will only let me change the littleted part - not the @kindle part?? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You are only charged for the email to Kindle if you download over 3G. If you are downloading over WiFi then there is no charge.

I believe that the @free.kindle.com email is for people who have the 3G/ WiFi models so that they only receive the emailed books when on WiFi. If you have a WiFi only Kindle then it really doesn't matter what email address you use.

Advertisement