Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Greenline to go to Broombridge

Options
  • 11-08-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Not 100% Dublin 15, I know but it will give us additional transport options.

I read the story on Dublin Events Guide, which gives a list of free events in Dublin and is sent weekly to your inbox if you sign up. Attached find link to the story under Dublin News and a map of the proposed route. They are proposing a further possible link to Finglas but with 2 heavy hitting cabinet ministers in Dublin 15, including the Minister for Transport, I would think that a link to Blanch is more pressing.

http://www.dublineventguide.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

Surely, with a "commuter" link already from Town westwards there would be no economic merit in running a parallel link to Dublin 15 -- or am I misreading OP message-- (irrespective of how heavy hitting our reps are). There is a slight shortage of funds available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

When on the train, I close my eyes going past the Broombridge station. I'm not too familiar with Broombridge as a whole, but is it just as much an eyesore as the train station?

As for a LUAS line going there, I don't see the point as there is a train service that pretty much does the same, albeit not so regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When on the train, I close my eyes going past the Broombridge station. I'm not too familiar with Broombridge as a whole, but is it just as much an eyesore as the train station?

As for a LUAS line going there, I don't see the point as there is a train service that pretty much does the same, albeit not so regular.

There isn't a station building in Broomsbridge because according to a ticket inspector I spoke to, a gang decided to set the old one on fire when the station was staffed and it ended up in the canal. Seriously doubt they would risk bringing the Luas out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Apparently they installed a Leap Card machine to Broombridge Station at 3pm one day and it was gone by 3.30pm. I read that in one of the free local papers. Bringing the LUAS out there would be an exercise in futility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

athtrasna wrote: »
    There isn't a station building in Broomsbridge because according to a ticket inspector I spoke to, a gang decided to set the old one on fire when the station was staffed and it ended up in the canal. Seriously doubt they would risk bringing the Luas out.

No chance. "Broomer" is a toe-rag magnet. Has been for many, many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The decision to bring Luas to Broombridge was recently approved. It is in order to link up with the Maynooth / sligo line which will eventually be upgraded to DART

Apart from the link up the idea is to use it as a catalyst to regenerate the surrounding dereliction that contributes to all the problems mentioned above by building a new large hub. also with the DIT consolidated campus going ahead at nearby Grangegorman it will be well used by 20000 students who wont have to connect through Connolly etc as the same tram will run from Broomer to Cherrywood near Shankill

There is a touch of the chicken and egg about it but its the scale required to overhaul the sinkhole of North Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Irish Rail ticket machines at Broombridge station ended up in the canal multiple times. Waste of time spending any money on any projects there until all the local scum are delt with in a very heavy handed way.

I can see a Luas in the canal at this stage, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

AS s far as i know they are building a brand new station back nearer if you know Cabra Batchelors the old Initial sight with access from Bannow Road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The land has been bought they are going to fence it all off while the construction is happening and there will be cctv cams and security so the scummers will have to move on,
    and the fencing will remain once it's open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Unless they steal the fencing and CCTV camera's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The Irish Rail ticket machines at Broombridge station ended up in the canal multiple times. Waste of time spending any money on any projects there until all the local scum are delt with in a very heavy handed way.

I can see a Luas in the canal at this stage, ffs.

+1.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is disillusioned. The place is poison, simple as that. Any investment at this particular point would be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

dodzy wrote: »
    +1.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is disillusioned. The place is poison, simple as that. Any investment at this particular point would be wasted.

Hardly. Scumbags go for soft targets in out of the way areas. Broombridge has been a wasteland for years. Once it's full of builders, fences and cctv, they'll head off and probably go wreck some of the abandoned industrial buildings surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Bumping one of my old threads.

Major Government announcement due today on the future transport policy for Dublin as a whole.

I, for one, will be very disappointed with our two sitting government ministers, if they cannot deliver some really overdue and welcome news for their constituents in Dublin 15.

There is a max of 6 months to go to the election, and a major recommencement of house building in the area, and a big surplus to spend on major capital projects.

Expect to see an extension/spur of the Luas Greenline to Blanch.

Talk about a vote winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would they spur the Greenline to Blanch when there is already heavy rail in the catchment, which will interchange with Luas at Broombridge.

More likely that the Luas extension to the Airport will feature, a very bad idea in itself, by an incompetent Government who cannot see that wasting money on inefficient, compromise solutions is very bad for the City's development in the long term.

Binning the DART underground yesterday was terrible news for Dublin 15. There is now no sign of electrification of the Maynooth line on the horizon, and with the removal of the underground splltting of the DART, there is no potential to increase the capacity and frequency of services using Connolly station, with the result that you will see no improvement in services on the Maynooth line for at least 10 or 15 years, and thats a dismal prospect.

So it will be a a Hobson's choice, gridlocked roads, or gridlocked trains, or leave for work in town at 6am, up to you.....

Advertisement