Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Question..

• 11-08-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm coming home in May for a few week's and will be doing a lot of fishing around the midlands. I have the use of a boat while I'm there. I will probably have a rental car with me. No doubt this won't have a hitch. However, my sister said I can use her car, which does.

My question is...will a Toyota Corolla be able to pull an 18' Sheelin around? I've just been wondering about this..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

shouldnt be a problem, i used to pull a 17ft ganley boat with a 1.2 fiesta:D which was a banger!!!!

what size engine is in the car? the bigger the better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

any car with a towbar will pull an 18' Sheelin lake boat. the boat its self weights 215 kgs. thats about 1 third the weight of the smallest caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

Great! Thanks lads. I do a lot of fly fishing over here in the Catskills for trout, and steelhead during the winter. When I'm home though, its pike I'll be after on the fly rod. I remember a few great spots at home when I was growing up, however things change. I never caught one on a fly rod and I hear its a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Great! Thanks lads. I do a lot of fly fishing over here in the Catskills for trout, and steelhead during the winter. When I'm home though, its pike I'll be after on the fly rod. I remember a few great spots at home when I was growing up, however things change. I never caught one on a fly rod and I hear its a blast.

Pike fly fishing is really taking off now. One big change to be aware of is the whole area of bio security. If you intend moving from water to water you need to take the necessary precautions!
    Enjoy your holiday and let us all know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

I'll be careful with that and try to keep to the same waters. It will be mostly on the Shannon and Lough Ree. If I fish any of the Westmeath lakes, I'll just rent a boat and engine there. May is still a long way off so I won't get to excited yet.

The invasive's are an issue here to. Most states have now banned the use of felt bottom soles on waders. It's still legal here in NY, but thats about to change. Most of us have switched to the rubber streamthread soles. By themselves there useless in my opinion. There alright for wading soft water like lakes or slow rivers, but in fast hard currents there no good unless you screw in the hard bite stud's or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

I'll be careful with that and try to keep to the same waters. It will be mostly on the Shannon and Lough Ree. If I fish any of the Westmeath lakes, I'll just rent a boat and engine there. May is still a long way off so I won't get to excited yet.

The invasive's are an issue here to. Most states have now banned the use of felt bottom soles on waders. It's still legal here in NY, but thats about to change. Most of us have switched to the rubber streamthread soles. By themselves there useless in my opinion. There alright for wading soft water like lakes or slow rivers, but in fast hard currents there no good unless you screw in the hard bite stud's or something similar.

Just my two cents and Maybe its just me but I think that on big lakes it's harder catch pike on the fly so u could be better of sticking to smaller lakes and rivers -

I have a sheelin boat on the river suck if you want to give that a try your more than welcome - free of charge

Pm me if u want to take me up on the offer

Advertisement