Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest2Goodness Farmers Market Glasnevin

Options
  • 11-08-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I was out here on Wednesday and was really impressed, lots of goodies and treats.

It's open Wednesdays 12-7 and Saturdays 9.30-4

Read about it in this blog: http://thedublindiary.blogspot.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marky73

Thanks for this,will defo be checking this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Farmers Market selling Limes and wines really defeats the purpose of farmers markets selling local produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Farmers Market selling Limes and wines really defeats the purpose of farmers markets selling local produce.

Ha! You managed to pick out the two non local things from the review well done!

Go visit it before you make up your mind, you might be pleasantly surprised!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

tbh, its really expensive,much prefer to go out to newbarn in ashbourne, and buy directly from the farmer.

they tried to charge me 12e for a 1/2 stone bag of spuds !!!!!

never went back after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

irishbird wrote: »
    tbh, its really expensive,much prefer to go out to newbarn in ashbourne, and buy directly from the farmer.

wow. were they dressed in white shirts with blue collars?

on the subject of farmers markets. im thinking of joining one when i move back home. anyone have and idea if there is and around the terenure/harolds cross areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

They are a bit more expensive but not that bad.

In old money (country speak) a bag of spuds was a 4 stone bag, a half bag is what I think you were quoted for, price €12, a bit steep but it's a market, loving hands and all that.

Hope they are not boardies but go down a bit late, a bit disinterested,:D and see what they will offer.

Guy on the meat counter was shutting up shop, had the usual chat, "first time here" "your own farm" yes, he says "put a tenner on the counter" says he and I will look after you., no problem and he did and the meat was very good.

nudger wrote: »
    They are a bit more expensive but not that bad.

In old money (country speak) a bag of spuds was a 4 stone bag, a half bag is what I think you were quoted for, price €12, a bit steep but it's a market, loving hands and all that.

Hope they are not boardies but go down a bit late, a bit disinterested,:D and see what they will offer.

Guy on the meat counter was shutting up shop, had the usual chat, "first time here" "your own farm" yes, he says "put a tenner on the counter" says he and I will look after you., no problem and he did and the meat was very good.

Not bad!! Are you a secret millionaire? Its daylight robbery even in old country speak. Loving hands :pac:, yeah I say they have loving hands counting the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes found it very expensive.
    Why though when they have cut out the middleman baffles me.

Not bad!! Are you a secret millionaire? Its daylight robbery even in old country speak. Loving hands :pac:, yeah I say they have loving hands counting the cash.

I wish:D, If i'm right about the half bag thing that works out about the same as 2x 7kg bags which would be about €6 a bag if new season not bad.

If it was 1/2 a stone that's nearly a € a spud.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hootanany wrote: »
    Why though when they have cut out the middleman baffles me.
    The reason they're there in the first place may be because the middleman doesn't pay them enough to live on.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    The reason they're there in the first place may be because the middleman doesn't pay them enough to live on.

So they charge the same price :eek:
    Why not charge less but still make a margin rather that being extremely greedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

on the subject of farmers markets. im thinking of joining one when i move back home. anyone have and idea if there is and around the terenure/harolds cross areas

Not sure if its exactly a farmers market but theres one up in Marley Park every Saturday and Sunday.
    Has a mix of fruit and vedge stall home made baking some craft things ethnic foods etc.
    If its a dry day it draws a fairly good crowd! up there a few weeks ago and you could hardly move in it!

So they charge the same price :eek:

Why not charge less but still make a margin rather that being extremely greedy
    I don't understand what you mean here. Can you explain?

My point is that selling to a wholesaler means the wholesaler sets the price and can drive it down, to the point where it's not worth the grower's while any more. A market stall gives the grower the opportunity to sell directly at a realistic price.

My point is that selling to a wholesaler means the wholesaler sets the price and can drive it down, to the point where it's not worth the grower's while any more. A market stall gives the grower the opportunity to sell directly at a realistic price.

My point is if they sell to Tesco they drive down the price the consumer pays and make the supplier take a cut.
    Farmers markets are selling the stuff dearer than the Supermarket. Hope this makes sense.

My point is if they sell to Tesco they drive down the price the consumer pays and make the supplier take a cut.
    Farmers markets are selling the stuff dearer than the Supermarket. Hope this makes sense.
    It doesn't :confused: Of course they're selling dearer than the supermarket -- the supermarket sets the price paid to the grower and the price paid by the consumer, and takes the difference for itself. Supermarkets have near-absolute control over prices.

The amount Tesco pays the grower may mean that the grower can't actually make ends meet. Tesco ruthlessly drives down the price it pays so it can sell cheaper. It'll be doing this with hundreds of growers, of all sizes, all over the world.

If the grower sold to the public directly at the price Tesco charges, they'd starve. So they sell higher. Us, as consumers, get to weigh up paying less at Tesco vs. paying more for a guaranteed local product that keeps more money in the economy.

When visiting a farmers market my first thought is not to be looking for a bargain alone but for something fresher and better quality than the main supermarkets.

I love discovering something new taste wise and will pay the extra for it but if there was a nice bag of spuds or punnet of mushrooms at a good price on the way out the door then all the better.

Was up at Farmleigh last weekend at the food market, more ready to eat, burgers and creeps but thought the location in the car park was a mistake.

In the forecourt, by the tea room was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

tbh, its really expensive,much prefer to go out to newbarn in ashbourne, and buy directly from the farmer.at

Where is new barn in Ashbourne would like to take a trip to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

New Barn Farm Shop, Ashbourne, Co. Meath -Farm Fresh Produce
    Donaghmore,
    Ashbourne
    Co. Meath
    Ireland

Website doesn't appear to be working at present:

www.newbarnfarm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

New Barn Farm Shop, Ashbourne, Co. Meath -Farm Fresh Produce
    Donaghmore,
    Ashbourne
    Co. Meath
    Ireland

www.newbarnfarm.ie - website doesn't seem to be working at present.

nudger wrote: »
    I wish:D, If i'm right about the half bag thing that works out about the same as 2x 7kg bags which would be about €6 a bag if new season not bad.

If it was 1/2 a stone that's nearly a € a spud.

Its still robbery, was reading the website and the guy who sells the spuds buys them direct from a farm in Wexford so he isn't even the farmer and then he buys his exotics off Smithfield market so is this really a farmers market or a wholesalers market?

Normally farm gate prices are cheaper than what you would pay in Smithfield. New Season 10kg washed Rooster is €7-8 currently in Smithfield. If he is selling unwashed or old season rooster he could probably buy a 10kg bag for €3.50-4 from the farmer or cheaper based on bulk.

I think farmers markets are a wonderful idea but the ones in Ireland are too loosely regulated. Half the stands are imported product, the veg stands are fleshed out with imports, rather than selling whats in season. And then some are marketed as local but in Ireland how do you define "local"? Is a butcher based in Mayo really local if the farmers Market is in Dublin? Really they should stop fooling people and rename the main offenders "Gourmet Markets".

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Where is new barn in Ashbourne would like to take a trip to it.

From Dublin on the left hand side after the White house pub just before the 9 mile stone roundabout.

Its still robbery, was reading the website and the guy who sells the spuds buys them direct from a farm in Wexford so he isn't even the farmer and then he buys his exotics off Smithfield market so is this really a farmers market or a wholesalers market?

Normally farm gate prices are cheaper than what you would pay in Smithfield. New Season 10kg washed Rooster is €7-8 currently in Smithfield. If he is selling unwashed or old season rooster he could probably buy a 10kg bag for €3.50-4 from the farmer or cheaper based on bulk.

I think farmers markets are a wonderful idea but the ones in Ireland are too loosely regulated. Half the stands are imported product, the veg stands are fleshed out with imports, rather than selling whats in season. And then some are marketed as local but in Ireland how do you define "local"? Is a butcher based in Mayo really local if the farmers Market is in Dublin? Really they should stop fooling people and rename the main offenders "Gourmet Markets".

Think all of the guys in D.I.E market are from the Wexford area, Butchers and veg guys are.

That's the general idea but most growers don't sell at farmers markets because most only grow 3-4 types of vegetables. The system caters for growers who grow "a bit of this and a bit of that" or growers who buy in produce from other growers. Or guys like this

http://www.honest2goodness.ie/The-Market/Producers/Laura-Murphy.aspx

Advertisement