Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formal Questioning

• 11-08-2012 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

In ireland the only way to formally question someone is by arresting and detaining them. Is this the same in England? I'm looking at all the people being arrested for the death of that little girl and i find it hard to believe they would all be willingly involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I realise you specifically said England - but Scotland has this odd system of voluntary detention - I don't know if it's still going though as there was some case in the ECtHR over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Follow this for some general comments.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Beingstoppedorarrestedbythepolice/DG_196019

I suspect that they have agreed to be questioned without being arrested to allay suspicion. if the police here suspect complicity in a crime they have to provide the same caution Prior to questioning as if they had been arrested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In England and Wales a person can be "helping the police with their inquiries". They are not under arrest and are free to leave at any time but they are still under caution.

Normally if they attempt to leave they will be arrested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

MagicSean wrote: »
    I'm looking at all the people being arrested for the death of that little girl and i find it hard to believe they would all be willingly involved.

I depends on what they've. They may not be directly involved.

I can remember a case in Ireland years ago (a murder). Where the investigation was slowed down for a few days, because some people had lied when questioned. They were not directly involved. They were not criminals. They may have thought they were protecting one of their own. They were arrested and charged, I'm not sure if they were prosecuted. The guards ended up on a wild goose chase. They arrested someone I knew and questioned them. And all they had to go on was the guy had once put an ad in buy and sell a few years previously.

The case in England looks like a case of domestic violence that got out of hand. And there may be several people involved. It's been reported that an important tip off was given by one of the girls school friends. It was probably a very violent household.

I think it took the police three searches of the house to find the body. Hiding a body that well I would imagine (I've never hid a body....I swear) would take several people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MagicSean wrote: »
    In ireland the only way to formally question someone is by arresting and detaining them. Is this the same in England? I'm looking at all the people being arrested for the death of that little girl and i find it hard to believe they would all be willingly involved.

I thought that there were one or two very specific exceptions here.

In that case, the people may have been arrested for secondary offences - aiding and abetting, wasting police time / lying to police, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement