Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish roof-washing gang intimidate Finnish householders

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose the scum are moving northwards now since their game has been outed in their traditional grounds.

Shame that, Finland is a beautiful country with wonderful people. I had the pleasure of visiting on two occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Traveller and Brit-bashing in one thread. Back in a sec, have to put the microwave popcorn in.

*ding*

Ok, go......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I was flying out to a christening in finland last summer and was surprised by the amount of piebalds on the flight.Always wondered why the fuk they were going there.Well now I know!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

IrishAm wrote: »
    Is there a Finnish equivalent of Pavee Point?

They have the Saami, nomadic reindeer herders. However they don't leave rubbish and dirty mattresses all over GAA fields and are probably not afraid of Dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They were running that scam in Australia as well until they got the boot.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/About_us/Stop_Travelling_Conmen_campaign_convictions.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This scam has been going on for years. Sometimes I wonder will it ever finnish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Every Finn I ever met was slightly odd and was into god awful death metal. Unlike the rest of the world death metal is not some marginal interest genre, they are all into it.

Not all of them. Even if they were, what's the harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pottler wrote: »
    I've gotten banned for saying nicer things about Travvelers, mods appear to be having a moment on this thread.
    Then why don't I see any reported posts from you? Don't answer that, just start reporting posts if you have an issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Not all of them. Even if they were, what's the harm?

hate all the crap !!! so what if they like metal music ???
    you sound like you would be the first to have a fit if the finn's started banging on about a Irish stereo type - the irish are stupid - the irish drink to much - poxy irish music bla bla bla ( not directed at Bobby Acidic Beetle , but previous poster )

having been to Finland at least 30 times - married one , have to finnish kids , and many many finns as friends i can tell you they are a LOT more welcoming to me than the irish can be to them when they visit

as its been, said so what ??? so you dont like metal , boo hoo , they do listen to other music FYI

as for Finland - i have to say its cleaner , better run , less scum ( well that was till the irish scum arrived ) and IT LOOKS AFTER ITS PEOPLE from cradle to grave

don't get me wrong it's not utopia, but in many many respects the fact that Ireland is so bad - it makes Finland look like heaven

and to pove this - monty pyhton did not pen a tune about Ireland did they ?? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

IrishAm wrote: »
    They are as Irish as you or me.

Indeed there's plenty Irish capable of far worse, and conning for far more, but they wear a suit and go to GAA meetings so they must be all right. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I only wish they'd repair some roofing at some former prisons in Poland. I'm sure they would have gas craic altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Finland certainly has it's own problem. From Finns I have been told that other finns always piss on the street not like in Dublin. (their words)
    Grafitti is a huge problem.
    Some area are seriously danger (sornainen anyone)
    Despite all of that can confirm they are very friendly once they have a few beers.
    In fact all the finns I have met pride themselves on being big drinkers.
    Back on point thou, Finn are far from perfect and there is no way they the Irish are suddenly vilified because of a handful of naive finns.
    dj jarvis wrote: »
    hate all the crap !!! so what if they like metal music ???
    you sound like you would be the first to have a fit if the finn's started banging on about a Irish stereo type - the irish are stupid - the irish drink to much - poxy irish music bla bla bla ( not directed at Frada , but previous poster )

having been to Finland at least 30 times - married one , have to finnish kids , and many many finns as friends i can tell you they are a LOT more welcoming to me than the irish can be to them when they visit

as its been, said so what ??? so you dont like metal , boo hoo , they do listen to other music FYI

as for Finland - i have to say its cleaner , better run , less scum ( well that was till the irish scum arrived ) and IT LOOKS AFTER ITS PEOPLE from cradle to grave

don't get me wrong it's not utopia, but in many many respects the fact that Ireland is so bad - it makes Finland look like heaven

and to pove this - monty pyhton did not pen a tune about Ireland did they ?? :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

These gypsies were round with me (the second time in 3 years) a few weeks ago. The guy told me that they were washing the roofs of some of the neighbours (which was a lie) and wanted to do our roof when they were in the area. I never let on I was Irish. I asked him for a business card and some documentation but he had conveniently "run out" of both. I told him I'd heard about damage caused by them a couple of year ago when they were here before.
    "Different crowd" he said.
    I said I'd like to think about it for a few days but no, I had to answer there and then.
    "Give me your number and I'll ring you later." I said.
    "Our mobiles don't work right in Finland." So I told him no, which he refused to accept. In the end I had a force the door shut.

The thing is, the Finns find it difficult to separate the Irish from Irish gypsies. And yes, people (naive people) have used their services. It might not be for many months that the discover any damage caused. Wait until the frost gets into the cracks and breaks before the damage is noticed.

And for anyone questioning whether they're gypsies it not, take it from me, they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not just Finland either. A Swedish friend of mine who lives here and who often travels home via the ferry from the UK to Denmark sees loads of them on the boats. She also knows loads of people both where she's from (Gothenburg) and around the Copenhagen / Malmö area who've been harassed by them, mainly tarmacking though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Serves the fcukers right, aren't they the same crowd, the Vikings, that ravaged our country some years back, raping and pillaging all before them.

Fair play to this gang, whoever they are for going over to even the score.

wilson10 wrote: »
    Serves the fcukers right, aren't they the same crowd, the Vikings, that ravaged our country some years back, raping and pillaging all before them.

No.

The Vikings were Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

Go and read your history books again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

wilson10 wrote: »

^^ you sir, must be highly educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

deman wrote: »
    No.

The Vikings were Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

Go and read your history books again.

Sure there all the one, that scandinavian crowd, just like our tinkers

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

deman wrote: »
    These gypsies were round with me (the second time in 3 years) a few weeks ago. The guy told me that they were washing the roofs of some of the neighbours (which was a lie) and wanted to do our roof when they were in the area. I never let on I was Irish. I asked him for a business card and some documentation but he had conveniently "run out" of both. I told him I'd heard about damage caused by them a couple of year ago when they were here before.
    "Different crowd" he said.
    I said I'd like to think about it for a few days but no, I had to answer there and then.
    "Give me your number and I'll ring you later." I said.
    "Our mobiles don't work right in Finland." So I told him no, which he refused to accept. In the end I had a force the door shut.

The thing is, the Finns find it difficult to separate the Irish from Irish gypsies. And yes, people (naive people) have used their services. It might not be for many months that the discover any damage caused. Wait until the frost gets into the cracks and breaks before the damage is noticed.

And for anyone questioning whether they're gypsies it not, take it from me, they are.

Uhhm! I don't wish to be pedantic but Irish Travellers are not gypsies.

It's like calling Finns Vikings. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Every Finn I ever met was slightly odd and was into god awful death metal. Unlike the rest of the world death metal is not some marginal interest genre, they are all into it.

You obviously haven't met many Finnish people. Either that or you stumbled into the Annual Finnish death metal meeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We'll have to tell them there's a big job on in Tibet, the roof of the world needs a good clean. That should keep them occupied for a few years.

Finland certainly has it's own problem. From Finns I have been told that other finns always piss on the street not like in Dublin. (their words)
    Grafitti is a huge problem.
    Some area are seriously danger (sornainen anyone)
    Despite all of that can confirm they are very friendly once they have a few beers.
    In fact all the finns I have met pride themselves on being big drinkers.
    Back on point thou, Finn are far from perfect and there is no way they the Irish are suddenly vilified because of a handful of naive finns.

sorry you do understand what the word vilification means don't you ?
    because i did not do that in my post ,
    so a few pissed finns piss on the street - hardly comparable to HORDES of travelers and scum that roam Ireland
    the level of dirt - crime and just unpleasantness is just head and shoulders above here in Ireland than it is in Finland

sorry for pointing out this fact - i get the feeling it might upset you , but in life the truth hurts

in my opinion Ireland is a much bigger kip than Finland for a multiple or reasons , but as i said in my OP - it does not make it a utopia - just less scum and better run than here.

the irish are the nicest people i know - but does not change the fact that we have a much larger collection of dirt bags and chancers i have ever come across , and i have lived and worked in a few European country's

as for pissing in the street in Dublin - rivers of piss and **** flow in the city center - have you gone walking around north inner city recently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you think Finland or Ireland are bad, you haven't travelled very far I can tell you :D

They're both practically TellyTubby land compared to a lot of places.

As for public urination, the Brussels metro would literally turn your stomach at times. I have *never* encountered a city with so much urine in the metro. Central Station in particular is just vile. There's a tunnel that connects from the nicer mainline station to the Metro which is basically like stepping into some kind of urine-soaked hell hole. All the lights are smashed and covered in graffiti, there are homeless drunken guys sleeping on the floor (during the day) and it absolutely wreaks of urine.

Same goes for being harassed by junkies etc. Dublin can be bad at times, but there are FAR worse spots in Europe for that kind of thing.

I'd agree, Finland is better organised, but that's true of all Nordic countries (compared to almost anywhere else). In general the threat of being frozen to death tends to make societies a bit more likely to run things correctly :D

I wonder if we had more regular doses of -25ºC would Ireland be more Nordic i.e. tighter planning laws, district heating and all that..

I find Ireland head and shoulders ahead of a lot of places these days and I think it compares well to our English-speaking counterparts in the UK, Aus, NZ, Canada, US etc.. on a whole range of things.
    Public transport's sparse (due to the population spread) but it's clean, modern and seems relatively efficient and generally safe.
    Dealing with state-services is also a far more pleasant experience in Ireland (or Britain for that matter) than France, Spain, Belgium, Germany .. list goes on..

I find a lot of central and southern European countries have an amazing ability to leave you quagmired in pointless bureaucracy most of the time.

Solair wrote: »
    If you think Finland or Ireland are bad, you haven't travelled very far I can tell you :D

They're both practically TellyTubby land compared to a lot of places.

As for public urination, the Brussels metro would literally turn your stomach at times. I have *never* encountered a city with so much urine in the metro. Central Station in particular is just vile. There's a tunnel that connects from the nicer mainline station to the Metro which is basically like stepping into some kind of urine-soaked hell hole. All the lights are smashed and covered in graffiti, there are homeless drunken guys sleeping on the floor (during the day) and it absolutely wreaks of urine.

Same goes for being harassed by junkies etc. Dublin can be bad at times, but there are FAR worse spots in Europe for that kind of thing.

I'd agree, Finland is better organised, but that's true of all Nordic countries (compared to almost anywhere else). In general the threat of being frozen to death tends to make societies a bit more likely to run things correctly :D

I wonder if we had more regular doses of -25ºC would Ireland be more Nordic i.e. tighter planning laws, district heating and all that..

I find Ireland head and shoulders ahead of a lot of places these days and I think it compares well to our English-speaking counterparts in the UK, Aus, NZ, Canada, US etc.. on a whole range of things.
    Public transport's sparse (due to the population spread) but it's clean, modern and seems relatively efficient and generally safe.
    Dealing with state-services is also a far more pleasant experience in Ireland (or Britain for that matter) than France, Spain, Belgium, Germany .. list goes on..

I find a lot of central and southern European countries have an amazing ability to leave you quagmired in pointless bureaucracy most of the time.

but we were discussing Ireland and Finland , not other **** holes,
    im WELL aware other country's are a lot worse - having lived in some.
    i traveled ( hitched hiked ) in Poland and Ukraine 1 year after the wall came down , so trust me i know other places are worse

as for the Brussels metro - you must not have had the privilege of the underground in Athens - what a super kip full of muggers and prostitutes , like something out of a kubrick movie.

as for the frozen to death comment , no such thing as bad weather , just bad clothes or bad house - i have been wandering back from the pub in -35 at 3am with the correct gear on in Finland, and its no worse than walking down o connell st in November with no hat or gloves

Irish people don't dress for the weather

and you could flip that statement about being frozen , they may get a harsh winter but they get great summers ( i was there for 3 months last year and did not drop below 28 ) so swings and roundabouts really

this slant on ireland v finland came about by a previous poster accusing me of slagging irish people because of naive finns, but what i was doing was slagging irish scum bags ripping off elderly finns - big big difference

in all my times in finland i have never seen a junkie on the street ( they probably have shooting houses for them ) little or no litter , and in fact i was in helsinki 3 weeks ago DJing at a wedding between a finnish girl and a irish lad , and some of the people pissing in the square were the irish guests , and one of the party got dropped kick by bouncers st the zetor club for acting the bolixx , so you cant bring us anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Good luck to the gang trying out that sh1te in a country which has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world and people who are willing and able to use them. I've worked alot with the Finns and I wouldn't want to cross them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    :mad:

Can there be anyone in Ireland still dumb enough to fall for those old roof painting, roof repairs, black stuff scams?:rolleyes:
    WHat U mean dumb?.
    As I type,there are 7 lads and lassies ,along with 3 greyhounds and a blind Pony on my roof.All are doing a great job of repairing a near invisible hairline crack in my chimney.They are also going to repair my damaged driveway that I never knew I had.
    Salt of the earth ,one and all.God bless them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

My point about the weather is that cold countries tend to be well organised because the weather forces them to be.
    If you're not organised (as a community and also well prepared as an individual), you'd die.

Ireland, Britain, most of France etc all have relatively temperate climates.
    Spain, Italy, Portgual, Greece etc have almost ideallic warm climates and you could practically live outdoors in a lot of areas.

I always wonder if it's a factor in how organised places become.

Far northern cold parts of Europe - organised. - Cold weather is leathal. E.g. Norway, Finland, most of Germany etc.
    Temperate damp parts - kinda organised ish. - Cold weather is just uncomfortable. Ireland, Britain, much of France, Northern Spain etc.
    Warm parts - not very well organised at all. - Cold weather rarely happens at all. - Southern Spain, Southern Italy, Greece, all of the Mediterranean.

My point about the weather is that cold countries tend to be well organised because the weather forces them to be.
    If you're not organised, you die.

Spain, Italy, Portgual, Greece etc have almost ideallic warm climates and you could practically live outdoors in a lot of areas.

Far northern cold parts of Europe - organised. - Cold weather is leathal. E.g. Norway, Finland, most of Germany etc.
    Temperate damp parts - kinda organised ish. - Cold weather is just uncomfortable. Ireland, Britain, much of France, Northern Spain etc.
    Warm parts - not very well organised at all. - Cold weather rarely happens at all. - Southern Spain, Southern Italy, Greece, all of the Mediterranean.

What about the Romans, probably the most organised race of all time (for a couple of centuries anyway). Maybe they all emigrated to Germany- that would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Same guys that tried "genuine Honda generator" scam in Oz a few years ago.
    turned out the generators were the cheapest Chinese rubbish available with Honda stickers attached. The Aussies copped the scam and along with kicking 40 different kinds of ****e out of them, they also burned their vans (complete with generators) on the roadside.
    The scumbags didnt boast about that one when they came back to Rathkeale for Christmas.!! Still a sore point with them...:D

• Advertisement

If you're not organised (as a community and also well prepared as an individual), you'd die.

could be something in that......... i prefer my theory , all the nations in europe that are run well and look after the citizens are Lutheran / protestants , and the banana country's are all catholic ............. coincidence ????;)

dj jarvis wrote: »
    could be something in that......... i prefer my theory , all the nations in europe that are run well and look after the citizens are Lutheran / protestants , and the banana country's are all catholic ............. coincidence ????;)

Hmmm Austria and France are pretty well run and nominally mainly catholic.

maddragon wrote: »
    Hmmm Austria and France are pretty well run and nominally mainly catholic.

ill give you those 2 - but the ones that are mostly catholic tend to be the basket cases , Ireland , Portugal , Spain , Italy , Poland , also Greek orthodox are doing a fine job also ,
    but Finland , Sweden , Norway, Denmark , Germany , Holland , Belgium , Estonia , UK and Switzerland is about 40 % protestant

i think the latter could be held up as better run country's , with the exception of parts of the UK ( ie the north of England and parts of Scotland ) ( in a TOTALLY generalized way )

nothing in the way of proof or statistical records to back this assertion up , just my view after visiting, and in some cases living in said country's

no surprise but the most wild west country i have lived in was Greece,
    most if not all you have heard about tax evasion and cronyism, along with just ignoring the rule of law is true - jaw on the floor most of the time i lived there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I hate Travellers all negative experiences with them

Someone said shur they are as Irish as us.one part of one thinks no way should they be classed as a ethnic minority but would we really want them classed as irish

Whats do Irish Travellers class themselves as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

bigpink wrote: »
    I hate Travellers all negative experiences with them

Someone said shur they are as Irish as us.one part of one thinks no way should they be classed as a ethnic minority but would we really want them classed as irish

Most people in Ireland are currently celebrating JJ Nevins success.
    And they are as irish as you are or I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

bigpink wrote: »

An Irish ethnic minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Most Finns probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Travellers and regular Irish people.

There's actually Welsh and Scottish Travellers similar to ours, the English ones tend to be of Romani origin or a cross between Romani and Irish Travellers.

The outer reaches of London particularly the South East London / Kent areas tend to have high concentrations of them, the Medway towns in North Kent are particularly awful s**tholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Most people in Ireland are currently celebrating JJ Nevins success.
    And they are as irish as you are or I am.

John Joe is no more a traveller than you or me.
    He is a young lad of traveller desent born and reared in Mullingar and resides in a house (probably the same house since he was born)
    He's on the High Performance team for over 5 years so he's away from Mullingar far more than he's home.
    A fine boxer,with world class coaches he represents Ireland all over the globe.

Míshásta wrote: »
    Uhhm! I don't wish to be pedantic but Irish Travellers are not gypsies.

That's a matter of opinion.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    John Joe is no more a traveller than you or me.
    He is a young lad of traveller desent born and reared in Mullingar and resides in a house (probably the same house since he was born)
    He's on the High Performance team for over 5 years so he's away from Mullingar far more than he's home.
    A fine boxer,with world class coaches he represents Ireland all over the globe.
    He says he is a Traveller, as Francie Barret also claims that he too is aTraveller, but sure you believe whatever you need to to justify your views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He says he is a Traveller, as Francie Barret also claims that he too is aTraveller, but sure you believe whatever you need to to justify your views.

He would be classed as a settled traveller.

He would be classed as a settled traveller.
    No such classification exists. I suggest you bread Mr.Barrets recent comments re discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No such classification exists. I suggest you bread Mr.Barrets recent comments re discrimination.

What are you on about?

Advertisement