Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTI in dogs

• 11-08-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any natural remedies for UTI in dogs? One of my dogs has been plagued with UTI all summer, her urine smells so bad. Orginally I brought her to vet, there was blood and crystals in her urine and was given antibiotics which seemed to work. But about 3 weeks later it reoccurred but nothing showed up from her urine sample so she got an X-ray to check for bladder stones (there was none so vet gave us another batch of antibiotics) and got blood tests. Anyway it is back again she has an accident every night for a week and the smell wakes me up. I will bring another sample to vet on Monday :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

The best thing to do with recurring uti is to get her gut health and immune system built up with good nutrition.

If you are feeding dry food I would stop and change her over to a good quality tinned food (zooplus does an excellent tinned food Rocco Classic - gluten and grain free with "by-Products meaning "innards" and not the nasty stuff, for a reasonable price). Or home cooked (or perhaps even raw, although I dont feed raw). Dry food is too difficult to digest and is too dehydrated and unnatural.

I would also add a dog probiotic - as this will again improve gut health / immune system - I use this one avail online from i-herb
    http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus-Powder-2-5-oz-70-5-g/4295

Also add Salmon oil to her food and give 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per 10kg of bodyweight (most dogs will eat this off the spoon). Coconut oil contains anti bacterial/antibiotic properties and is just so good for dogs.

This may seem like a bit of hassle, but I can almost guarantee you will see an improvement in your dog. All it can do is good and its really worth a try:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What sort of dog is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

What sort of dog is she?

A Labrador with a long list of medical problems!! I gave her manuka honey and took her off her steroids saturday morning and i dont think she has any accidents since sunday she is booked in to go to vet today so hopefully it will get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hopefully the vet can give you some answers and getting prescription food could help. Some good local honey can help doesn't have to be the manuka as long as it's good quality honey it's used in guinea pigs to help soothe the bladder so might help the pooch.

Not sure if dogs are allowed pearl barley? If they are then you can boil it up (you can get it in the supermarket) and put the pearl barley water into the water bowl it can help with UTIs.

A combination of vet recommended meds/food and some safe natural remedies can help. Hope she feels better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hopefully the vet can give you some answers and getting prescription food could help. Some good local honey can help doesn't have to be the manuka as long as it's good quality honey it's used in guinea pigs to help soothe the bladder so might help the pooch.

Not sure if dogs are allowed pearl barley? If they are then you can boil it up (you can get it in the supermarket) and put the pearl barley water into the water bowl it can help with UTIs.

A combination of vet recommended meds/food and some safe natural remedies can help. Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks sigmaforce! Went to vet today and they think it is her kidneys :( something about her protein levels? She is going back tomorrow for blood tests and a fresh sample will be sent off to the lab for some microbiology tests! She is a very unhealthy dog in general and none of her conditions are straight forward so they may think it could be now linked to her heart/exercise intolerance condition. We just dont want her to be in any discomfort and she is very upset about the accidents in the house. She is a prime example of why you should not buy a dog from a back yard breeder (someone bought her as a xmas present and dumped her in the pound) Thank god for pet insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement