Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He's a "hard worker"

• 11-08-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this phrase used by Mitt Romney in describing his newly announced Republican running mate, Paul Ryan.

In Romney's introduction, the positive characteristics that he ascribed to Ryan were that he 'grew up quickly' and he was an 'hard worker'.

It's not the first time I've seen the latter phrase used in particular as an admirable, patriotic characteristic. It's as though there is a sort of contemptible stigma attached to being the opposite - a lover of leisure, merriment & entertainment away from the spinning wheel of the national economy. It's as though such an individual is a slouch; a slacker.

I'm a bit torn on the merit of being this 'hard worker'. When I commit to do a task, I feel I owe it to myself and the efforts of those who raised me to do it properly.

But I would shudder to think that a curse such as 'hard worker' would be etched on my epitaph. Does society place to much emphasis on work, and not enough emphasis on the importance of nurturing happy, all-rounded human beings who see more of a role for themselves in life than adding to the gross domestic product?

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

later12 wrote: »
    Opinions?

They certainly are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I saw this phrase used by Mitt Romney in describing his newly announced Republican running mate, Paul Ryan.

In Romney's introduction, the positive characteristics that he ascribed to Ryan were that he 'grew up quickly' and he was an 'hard worker'.

It's not the first time I've seen the latter phrase used in particular as an admirable, patriotic characteristic. It's as though there is a sort of contemptible stigma attached to being the opposite - a lover of leisure, merriment & entertainment away from the spinning wheel of the national economy. It's as though such an individual is a slouch; a slacker.

I'm a bit torn on the merit of being this 'hard worker'. When I commit to do a task, I feel I owe it to myself and the efforts of those who raised me to do it properly.

But I would shudder to think that a curse such as 'hard worker' would be etched on my epitaph. Does society place to much emphasis on work, and not enough emphasis on the importance of nurturing happy, all-rounded human beings who see more of a role for themselves in life than adding to the gross domestic product?

Opinions?

Romney is a Mormon.
    He probably prefers "work harder" to "work smarter"

*sips coffee and draws on spliff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

It's a slow day for after hours

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Some cultures have the whole "work ethic is everything" going on with them, others less so. The US would be one such place, a holdover of its "Protestant work ethic/God helps those who help themselves" kinda thing, so that stuff goes down well. You even see this on TV like "American Chopper", so long as you're there real early and leave real late and appear to be hard slogging then this is seen as a major character plus point. Personally on average I'd take a smart worker over a hard one. I've known enough people described as hard workers and often it was because of the effort involved rather than the results they achieved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Its the opposite of "quick learner".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

kincsem wrote: »
    Its the opposite of "quick learner".

That would be "slow learner."

Don't worry, you'll figure it out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's a "I'm a lazy fecker but proud" thread. I like "hard workers". I'm one myself. Fairly happy to have that on my headstone too. Better than the other things they could say. "He was a right cnut" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mitt Romney .........is a tw^t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

paddy147 wrote: »

A what paddy?

Pottler wrote: »
    It's a "I'm a lazy fecker but proud" thread. I like "hard workers". I'm one myself. Fairly happy to have that on my headstone too. Better than the other things they could say. "He was a right cnut" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

My ould lad is a really hard worker.
    A better man than myself I'd wager.

But by god he makes some things hard on himself.
    I can't count the amount of times I pointed out an easier route to get a task done only to see him continue to slog it out.

Ps. Romney would want to work a bit harder at getting his tax returns made public...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read a book about idleness once. Turns out we aren't really supposed to be hard working and we never thought of laziness in a bad way until christians came along. It got worse with the advent of the protestant work ethic.

At one point, laziness was seen as both a sin and a mental illness. As was poverty. Special work houses were opened to make the poor and lazy work. It was only near the end of the 1800's that they were closed. They weren't just an english/irish phenonomen. They existed accross europe.

Who set them up? Vincent De paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Actually the 'right cunt' sounds far more intriguing.

Would you like "Pottler: A Nice Guy" on your epitaph?

I certainly wouldn't.

Mainly because my name is not Pottler.

A what paddy?

Jesus...you have a brain,dont you??;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A what paddy?

Twat.

Or maybe twit.

I'm just guessing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I prefer to use the term "grafter" I am not one, but those that are are never broke and will always find something to do no-matter the economic climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You can say twat you know...

Actually the 'right cunt' sounds far more intriguing.

Would you like "Pottler: A Nice Guy" on your epitaph?

I certainly wouldn't.

Mainly because my name is not Pottler.
    Deffo not getting the "nice guy" one:D That's probably the last thing anyone ever thinks, but I'm a grafter and I doubt anyone who knows me would disagree. I also like grafters - way more interesting than do-littles. I've a poetic type started with us last week and he's already given me a pain in me rocks. Lazy doesn't even cover it. I prefer hard workers, I don't have to sack them. And then listen to them whinge around the area/down the pub about what a cnut I am for a year or two afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

mikom wrote: »
    Romney is a Mormon.
    He probably prefers "work harder" to "work smarter"

*sips coffee and draws on spliff*

You accidentally dropped an extra m into moron there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Namlub wrote: »
    You can say twat you know...
    Think he was trying to put an accent on it, e.g. twât, Romney spent some time preaching Mormonism in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

In no reference to anyone here, I've found self-proclaimed hard workers tend to only respect hard-work done in a similar field to their own. Trades-men will often devalue office work with 'pen-pusher' comments, self-employed/business owners 'dont understand how people work for others'.

I myself work very hard sometimes, and sit on my hole others.

• Advertisement

He might win, Obama is not very popular in the states.

No-matter what he has done, to the Americans its the economy that is the vote winner and loser.

Romney reminds me of another Bush Jnr

In that hes allready made a few public media gaffs and fcuk ups.

Thanks for having me over here in this lovely country Mr "eh" Prime Minister??

To quote Bush Jnr......"the left hand now knows what the right hand is doing"......(rofl).:D

Bit off topic, but it ties a few things together-Busheyboy has buried the family fortune into land, getting out of oil. Funnily enough, the vast tracts of land he's bought happen to be over one of the Americas largest aquifers, ie H2O. Which might explain all the fuss over yer man filling his pond. No point buying up all the water if plebs can just get their own out of the sky eh. I'd wager that Romney is some version of a ballix, you'd need to be a ballix to a.decide you want to run a country and b.have the money to go for it. Being connected to the right people would also be important and that also implies a level of ballixery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

A what paddy?

tw to the power of t.

It's a mathematical expression of the concept of "Just made the worst possible choice".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

To me, if I hear somebody described as a 'hard worker' that conveys to me much more than the fact that they slog it out at work.
    It gives the impression that somebody puts their mind to whatever task is at hand, be it business, sport, or personal and gives everything their best shot.
    It conveys reliability, trustworthiness, focus, determination etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I come from a family of a very strong work ethic, where often 70 hour weeks wouldnt be unusual. I sort of grew up around it and tbh, whilst i admire the honesty and integrity of it I think it takes a lot from other things such as quality of life, relationships and happiness. I can work hard but Im a much more balanced individual, and if i want to go on holiday for a few weeks or go on the beer for a few days or whatever i just do it with any guilt that Im enjoying myself and not working. Life is too short to be breaking your back working all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My ould lad is a really hard worker.
    A better man than myself I'd wager.

But by god he makes some things hard on himself.
    I can't count the amount of times I pointed out an easier route to get a task done only to see him continue to slog it out.

My ould fella is exactly the same, creates work for himself. It seems to be a trait of their generation and their parents before them. They're not comfortable if they're not seen to be working.

He was never able to sit down and watch tv or the likes without justifying it in his head and letting everyone else know that it's just resting time after all the work.

Retirement is cruel for these people. They define themselves through their work.

WumBuster wrote: »
    I come from a family of a very strong work ethic, where often 70 hour weeks wouldnt be unusual. I sort of grew up around it and tbh, whilst i admire the honesty and integrity of it I think it takes a lot from other things such as quality of life, relationships and happiness. I can work hard but Im a much more balanced individual, and if i want to go on holiday for a few weeks or go on the beer for a few days or whatever i just do it with any guilt that Im enjoying myself and not working. Life is too short to be breaking your back working all the time.
    That's the bent I'd be coming at it from as well.

I see so many old guys in their retirement - especially in farming - with their backs broken from work, and an almost paranoid need to go on drudging into old age, making sure they're still doing the laborous jobs they were doing when they were 20 and could do them. Men who worked up until the day they died. To me that sounds like a sad thing to celebrate, yet it's seen as an admirable feature of an individual's life.

I have to admit I find that a little puzzling.

Now I should point out that such a level of commitment is something that many people enjoy. No problem with that.

I'm moreso talking about popular perceptions of "hard workers" by other people. The sort of people who pass a guy clipping his hedges with precision for the nth time that week and say "There's Paddy, what a hard worker!"

What's that about? Paddy could be a lot happier if he kicked back with dinner and a spliff and a goodlooking woman, no?

Sauve wrote: »
    To me, if I hear somebody described as a 'hard worker' that conveys to me much more than the fact that they slog it out at work.
    It gives the impression that somebody puts their mind to whatever task is at hand, be it business, sport, or personal and gives everything their best shot.

It conveys reliability, trustworthiness, focus, determination etc.

Hard worker?.......... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056721209

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Ryan - supports bailouts, military force, spying on citizens with ID databases, national ID cards system, patriot act, housing subsidies, healthcare expansions, No child left behind. He's perfect for Romney. None of them are conservatives. Tell me why we're having this election again?

K3lso wrote: »
    Ryan - supports bailouts, military force, spying on citizens with ID databases, national ID cards system, patriot act, housing subsidies, healthcare expansions, No child left behind. He's perfect for Romney. None of them are conservatives. Tell me why we're having this election again?

Bit OT, but I'm delighted; it makes the contest very clear cut and doesn't cushion Romney's political ideology at all. That's especially great since the Vice Presidential role is of dubious political importance anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

Opinions?
    Better to be a smart worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Bit OT, but I'm delighted; it makes the contest very clear cut and doesn't cushion Romney's political ideology at all. That's especially great since the Vice Presidential role is of dubious political importance anyway.

Romney is a closet liberal. You'd have to be to get elected Governor in a state like Massachusetts. His healthcare proposals that he implemented while in office was the blueprint for Obamacare. He's going to be thorn apart in the debates which I'd imagine will go a little something like this:

Romney: I'm for this and that!
    Obama: NO, I'm for this and that..
    Romney: NO...I AM FOR THIS AND THAT!

But then again, Republicans would rather give Obama another four years than nominate a conservative like a Ron Paul for example. Now THAT would be a contrast with Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think the phrase is used for people who are not very successful but try hard. I would not like to be remembered as a hard worker - but I'd rather be a hard worker than a layabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

You know what I meant I'm sure.

• Advertisement

American election presidential debates intellectual summation.

Joe the plummer

But are ours any better.

Sauve wrote: »
    You know what I meant I'm sure.

I agree with almost everything you said, except for the "trustworthiness" bit.
    Hard workers can be lacking in this as much as anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He works like a black :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I've always subscribed to the notion of 'work to live, not live to work'.

I have seen plenty of people neglect their lives trying to climb the corporate ladder, working stupidly long hours. I find it hard to respect these people.

keith16 wrote: »
    I've always subscribed to the notion of 'work to live, not live to work'.

I have seen plenty of people neglect their lives trying to climb the corporate ladder, working stupidly long hours. I find it hard to respect these people.

Yeah I suffer from laziness to, I would try to get it recognised as a disability but I am not motivated enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Holocene

I also like grafters - way more interesting than do-littles. I've a poetic type started with us last week and he's already given me a pain in me rocks. Lazy doesn't even cover it. I prefer hard workers, I don't have to sack them. And then listen to them whinge around the area/down the pub about what a cnut I am for a year or two afterwards.

In what way is he a "poetic type"? Baudelaire paperback in his lunchbox? Kinda reminds me of myself when I was young and foolish, arrived to my first day of work on a building site with long hair and a lazy, arrogant attitude. Didn't last too long. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Colmustard wrote: »
    Yeah I suffer from laziness to, I would try to get it recognised as a disability but I am not motivated enough.

I can't even be bother responding to this post. The time and effort required to come up with a thoughtful, meaningful riposte is far beyond my current sphere of motivation.

Furthermore, I lack the proper diction, style and humor for any potential reply to be regarded with even a modicum of respect.

It hurts me to type both literally and figuratively. Not through any physical issue, rather, it is the mere thought of having to extend my reach in the general direction of my computer machine.

Laziness courses through the very fiber of my being. The squalor that I surround myself with is borne of this laziness and it truly is a sight to behold.

I frequently crave food, this craving quickly suppressed by thoughts of action required to quell my pangs.

Organisation and order annoy me. I detest paragraphs, preferring to type in convoluted, rambling and disjointed sentences, crammed with poor grammar.

Oh sloth am I, every day my Sabbath.

Holocene wrote: »
    In what way is he a "poetic type"? Baudelaire paperback in his lunchbox? Kinda reminds me of myself when I was young and foolish, arrived to my first day of work on a building site with long hair and a lazy, arrogant attitude. Didn't last too long. :o
    spot on there! Plus a pair of jeans with the hole ripped out of them. And never shuts the feck up. Knows it all, regales everyone(including the posh clients)with his weekend exploits(like I give a shoite who he rode where) and doesn't own a razor. I could get past all that<--- but there also seems to be feck all work getting done, so, he'll be replaced, most likly.. with a hard worker.:)

I laugh at Mormonism, some angel quotes Smithy some new divine revelations, but no-one else witnessed it, sounds suspicious to me already.

Then another divine revelation happened in I think 1879 that polygamy was no longer a commandment in their religion and once that got sorted they could then join the union.

Then again in 1979 that Black people no longer bared the mark of Cain so they could now become priests for Mormonism.

Edit: I suppose its just as whacky as any other mainstream or flying saucer religion including atheism.

Advertisement