Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn conversational German

• 11-08-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I will be working in SWitzerland for perhaps 6 months so would like to get familiar with the language. Are there any downloadable iPad apps which are recommended. I really want to be self sufficient in every day conversations at hotels ordering meals etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

It is online and free...Deutsche Welle has a language learning section. I am doing the interactive part and enjoy it. It is HUGE but I have improved my understanding and writing a lot so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mrkdips wrote: »
    I will be working in SWitzerland for perhaps 6 months so would like to get familiar with the language. Are there any downloadable iPad apps which are recommended. I really want to be self sufficient in every day conversations at hotels ordering meals etc etc
    Bear in mind that while you will be learning (presumably!) standard German, that what the Swiss speak amongst themselves is a very different thing that you will not be able to understand whatsoever.

They can and do of course speak standard German when dealing with outsiders, but their accent can still be really strong. Best of luck!

Advertisement