Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dublin Skanger accent

• 11-08-2012 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Do they put on this nasal slurring accent or is it organic and natural to them ?, I for one, find it impossible to replicate or imitate.

(I realise this will inevitably be a skanger bashing thread)

However it's the authenticity of how they talk I find intriguing, is it some sort of badge ? if I was afflicted with such a dreadful accent then I'd try to modify it in some way, it'd probably be impossible to morph it into some kind of South County Dublin Dortspeak, but I'm sure it could at least be neutralised into something listenable.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Here we go again............

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Hahahahaha, you're going to get eaten up in this thread for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

dd972 wrote: »
    Do they put on this nasal slurring accent or is it organic and natural to them ?, I for one, find it impossible to replicate or imitate.

However it's the authenticity of how they talk I find intriguing, is it some sort of badge ? if I was afflicted with such a dreadful accent then I'd try to modify it in some way, it'd probably be impossible to morph it into some kind of South County Dublin Dortspeak, but I'm sure it could at least be neutralised into something listenable.

I want to know what your accent is like.

The Dublin accent is acquired from living in a thriving cosmopoliton city, boggers wouldn't understand :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

if I was afflicted with such a dreadful accent then I'd try to modify it in some way, it'd probably be impossible to morph it into some kind of South County Dublin Dortspeak.

I'd rather sound like a skanger

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

The skanger accent(as opposed to the typical 'working class' Dublin accent) is put on by most people to either sound tough or to fit in, very few actually talk like that when with their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I've been told by a social worker that the nasal drawl in down to drug use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you cut a skanger, he'll bleed heroin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Is somehow better? how?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So you also realise it probably won't last pissin time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

shar01 wrote: »

is the social worker a qualified medical professional person??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.........., it'd probably be impossible to morph it into some kind of South County Dublin Dortspeak, .......

What an awful shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The skanger accent(as opposed to the typical 'working class' Dublin accent) is put on by most people to either sound tough or to fit in, very few actually talk like that when with their families.

Really??? You mean they have enough brain capacity to put on a fake accent to sound tough but not enough to realise that they sound downright fucking retarded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

it'd probably be impossible to morph it into some kind of South County Dublin Dortspeak

That's South County Dublin Dorshespeak - tooootaly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I just find it funny; whereas the really posh one makes me want to do a Van Gogh on my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I think it's natural. A few lads I know (well knew) didn't change that way around their familes. Though their familes didn't sound like them.

But I have a slightly skanger accent, though it's more of an inner-city thing, I think.

I don't sound nasally at all. I just sound like the standard "ah jaysus will you ever bleeding shut d fook up with dat accent" thing.

Oddly I don't think I've ever heard a girl with it.

Maybe it's a kinda mating season thing. You know, the lads have the nasal sound to indicate they want to mate and the women respond by stretching out names like "Jacinta" to "Jacinnnnntehhhhhhhhhhhh" to reply to the males to let them know that they accept their offer of making a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's amazing how the dublin accent differs so much in different parts of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

You come across as a w@nker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

paddy147 wrote: »

I didn't ask for their credentials. But I do know they work with the type of person the OP describes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have lived in dublin for most of my life and i don't have a skanger accent. you can tell i am a dub alright. i know people who grew up in the same area as me and have the thickest skanger accent imaginable. i think they choose the accent as a sort of hardman persona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

There's definitely a difference between the traditional Dublin accent from places like the Liberties and Ringsend, where the people were easily understood and actually had a large vocabulary and distinctive syntax, and the agressive cacophony veering between slurred and screeching that the current lumpenproletariat favour.

It's amazing how the dublin accent differs so much in different parts of the city.

I thought London was the same, no?

What's interesting is that it changes so drastically when you go from one sideof the Liffey to the other. That one is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

they all dont speak skanger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzJjDYdELbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

McCrack wrote: »
    You come across as a w@nker

That would be a 'bleedin' w@nker if you don't mind.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

In my experience drug use (heroin/methadone) seems to cause them to speak slowly and have a shake in their voice, a la Adam and Paul. I don't think it has anything to do with the nasal tones though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought London was the same, no?

What's interesting is that it changes so drastically when you go from one sideof the Liffey to the other. That one is amazing.

Well yeah thats what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Its better by far than all the south dublin gobsh1te accents and put-on american/posh british ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

'I'm noh wipin' meself wir a Tayto bag'

Great movie Adam & Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

do you be taking the piss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

Martyn1989 wrote: »

The Dublin accent is acquired from living in a thriving cosmopoliton city, boggers wouldn't understand :cool:

yeah ??

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/drugs-drink-and-the-stench-of-urine-are-alive-alive-oh-2641812.html

tell us more :D

i'd rather be a bogger than smell like a bog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

can iva quar pownder wit chiyis pilyis? anna curry chip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Martyn1989 wrote: »

Please tell me that you are having a laugh. As much as I actually like living in Dublin; No, just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The problem with people like you is that you live in a shell. You can't distinguish a person from their accent and will tarnish anyone who speaks a certain way with all sorts of unfounded imagination. People like you need to get out more and off internet forums trying to find your way in life. Yes you do.

Brain dead isn't close to describing the point in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Jay D wrote: »
    The problem with people like you is that you live in a shell. You can't distinguish a person from their accent and will tarnish anyone who speaks a certain way with all sorts of unfounded imagination. People like you need to get out more and off internet forums trying to find your way in life. Yes you do.

This.

Some people need to get over themselves, who honestly gives a shit.

Jay D wrote: »

I tell you what, you name me someone succesful with the obviously exgerarrated scumbag accent and then maybe you have a point.

There's a differene between someone like me with an inner city accent and someone who you know has no problem getting locked on the streets, having a slash against the wall in broad daylight and generally doesn't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It is the plastic paddy accent that I find similar to listening to fingernails dragging down a blackboard. A bastardisation of Irish and English or Irish with American.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I tell you what, you name me someone succesful with the obviously exgerarrated scumbag accent and then maybe you have a point.

There's a differene between someone like me with an inner city accent and someone who you know has no problem getting locked on the streets, having a slash against the wall in broad daylight and generally doesn't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

Do you personally know each and every one of these people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

paddy147 wrote: »

Heroin sometimes affects strength of muscles causing slurred/distortion of speech.

Do you personally know each and every one of these people?

Neither do you.

But can you find me an example of someone who has the accent and is a successful and doesn't behave in the typical scumbag manner or are you just guessing we shouldn't judge them?

Like it or not, the nasal accent is not natural, at all. It's like someone from the inner city trying to sound posh, you can see right through it and they sound like idiots. Just like people with the nasal accent do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Leave the Dubs alone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement