Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vat return for disabled driver.

• 11-08-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

Bought "new" car with 50 miles on clock from main dealer but as it had been registered by dealer am now unable to reclaim vat as no vat was charged to me on margin scheme. Any thoughts?
    In UK it would not be considered as only had delivery miles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

if you were charged no vat why do you think you should be able to claim it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭porterboy

I should have been charged vat. I didn't get the car any cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So go back to the dealer or report it to revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There may be an issue that you are ony able to get VRT or VAT exemption on new, unregistered cars. The dealer will have t o have accounted for VAT on the initial registration so it's not that VAT/VRT has never been paid. Was it a condition of your purchase that the car was eligible for the scheme. Did the dealer make any representations/statements about it qualifying. You may need to speak with a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/transport_and_disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers.html

"If the vehicle has been registered before, there is no need to go through the usual change of ownership procedure as this will automatically happen when the vehicle is taxed exempt at the Motor Tax Office. If your claim is accepted you are issued with a Certificate of Approval by the Central Repayments Office which you should submit to your local Motor Tax Office. You will be issued with a new Vehicle Registration Certificate which you should send to the Central Repayments Office where it will be endorsed to the effect that the vehicle was purchased under the Disabled Drivers and Passengers Scheme and cannot be disposed of for two years. This certificate will be returned to you immediately."

Also the form has a section about used vehicles, so I can't understand why you are being refused.

From revenue web site

You may make an application for relief in respect of any of the following types of vehicle:
    A new vehicle.
    A used vehicle which has not been previously registered in the State.
    A used vehicle which was previously registered in the State in which case the amount of the repayment will be the residual tax contained in the value of the vehicle.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/drivers-passengers-with-disabilities-tax-relief-scheme.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭porterboy

Tax would have been paid but then the dealer registered it pays vat and then sells it vat free on margin scheme. Dealer said I would be able to get full return from vrt and vat. Solicitor required methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

porterboy wrote: »
    Tax would have been paid but then the dealer registered it pays vat and then sells it vat free on margin scheme. Dealer said I would be able to get full return from vrt and vat. Solicitor required methinks.

The margin scheme is to allow certain traders to only pay VAT in the margin, example Art Gallery, buys a painting from a private seller for €1000 sells for €2000 they only pay vat on the margin that is on the €1000 so total price is €2230. Would cover a car dealer if he buys a car again like above, I may be wrong but I have no idea how the margin scheme works in your situation.

6. The sources of margin scheme goods

6.1 Margin scheme goods are the goods referred to in paragraph 5, purchased for resale, by dealers from specific sources in the EU, as follows:-

private individuals, or
    exempt bodies (e.g. bank, insurance company, etc.) or accountable persons who were not entitled to any input credit for VAT on purchase of the goods. (Goods purchased from accountable persons with partial deductibility in respect of those goods cannot however be included in the margin scheme), or
    another dealer operating the margin scheme for the supply in question, or
    a person who is an insurance company which took possession of the goods in connection with the settlement of a claim under a policy of insurance from a person who was not entitled to input credit in respect of the goods.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/margin-scheme-second-hand-goods.html#section2

Advertisement