Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass player, 37, Chapelizod, looking to join/start a band

• 11-08-2012 6:13pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm 37, male, I live in Chapelizod, and I'm looking to meet some musicians for a few jam sessions. Have a bass, will travel...

I don't want to waste anybody's time, so I'll say straight that I don't have the chops (yet !) for any sort of professional recordings, gigs, etc.
    I'm just a decent, hard-working beginner. I play in tune, in the beat, loud or quiet as required.

For the moment it's probably best for me focus on covers, though I'm not against originals.

What I would like to do: Find some like-minded musicians, pick some good tunes, practice individually and together until we do a good job. If we reach that point then why not start gigging. Alternatively if you already have a band and a plan, and like how I play, I'm happy to adapt to your setup.

Desired Age Range:
    I'm not fussy, but I suspect 18-24 y.o musicians will be interested in different things.

What kind of music do I want to play: I am open to pretty much anything: rock, indie, soul, latino, country (in moderation), bluegrass. If you think of anything else, I don't mind, as long as it sounds good!!
    (I might be able to fake some reggae if it's basic enough. None of the fancy bass play I'm afraid)

What I would like to play if I knew how :-) : Funk!! Jazz!!
    What I DON'T want to play: R&B (Unless you mean rythm and blues), metal, Bon Jovi-style "rock &roll".

Influences: That's a tough one. At my level (and my age...), I suppose I've been more influenced by well-known bass players who play melodic, solid, straightforward, bass lines: Adam Clayton, Sting, McCartney. I don't think I'm at the level where my playing can be influenced by Victor Wooten for example :D.

The stuff I would have listened to a lot other than with a view to play the bass: Bill withers, Gil Scott-Heron, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Michel Pettrucciani, Thelonious Monk, Coltrane, the Rolling Stones, Jim Croce, Rufus Wainwright, Neil Young, the Frames, the Pixies, Alice in Chains, Tom Waits, etc. Yeah. Loads of old stuff and dead people in there. Wow.

Also I sing mostly in tune :-) . I can pick up a guitar if needed though I doubt that will be necessary. I don't have an ego problem, and my main plan is to practice hard, play good music, and have a good time in the process !!!

That's about it! Thanks for reading, that was quite a spiel there....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Hi All,

I may have found a band if they decide to keep me after the first practice, so I'll close this thread when it's confirmed. On hold for now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blueswannabe

So you don't like Bon Jovi? Does that mean just think all rock is cheesy or just cheesy 80s rock? I'm practicing with a musician/singer-song writer at the moment. I'm into anything good to be honest. From Foo Fighters to Zeppelin to Greenday to Rory Gallagher. We don't have a defined sound yet but getting there.

Here's the singers previous stuff (2007):
    http://www.myspace.com/191632366

Here's some of my playing (Not singing):
    http://snagero.com/blueswannabe/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/fear-of-myself-bounce.mp3

again:
    http://snagero.com/Tony/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/CSM-Blues.mp3

I do play harder stuff too though(distortion!).

PM if interested, we're rehearsing in Axis studios at the moment. Let me know if you are or are not interested.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Hi Blueswannabe, thanks for your reply.

Let's just say I'm not into cheesy rock. But I like rock, and all that stuff you mentioned. I like your tunes by the way.

However our first band practice last night went well, and we're going to give this a shot and see what happens, so I'm off the market for the moment... I appreciate the offer anyway.

Can a mod close this thread please. Danke schon, stay classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Oink wrote: »
    Can a mod close this thread please.
    Done. Best of luck with the band!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement