Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the DSPCA take lizards?

• 11-08-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My little brother was supposed to be taking care of a chameleon he received from a friend who has now moved to England, but the poor creature is thin as a stick and isn't being fed often enough as well as having flaky skin.

Does the DSPCA or any other organization like that take in lizards/chameleons? I don't want to have this thing die because of my brother's neglect for it.

A picture of the poor thing:
    QJXL.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yes they do, and I'd get him there asap.

I know next to nothing about lizards, but I do know they're not meant to look like that.

You'll need to phone them up first, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

pm me detailes for where your based , i will give you details for reptile rescues , who will look after him and give him the required care he needs

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

not been funny but your brother isint capable of looking after it,doubt it was ever fed,

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andygmb1

pontia wrote: »
    not been funny but your brother isint capable of looking after it,doubt it was ever fed,

I know, it's in a horrible state and it's disgusting that my brother neglected it that much to let it get this bad.

In contact with <snip: no linking to rescues> at the moment, hopefully this poor thing will be brought back up to health and rehomed to a proper home.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you for stepping in.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

is he a child ? may explain to some degree

pontia wrote: »
    is he a child ? may explain to some degree

He's 16 and an utter twat. He should have never taken the lizard in the first place as he is completely irresponsible.

How long ago did he get it?

Around may/june. The chameleon has only recently looked as bad as it does now though, which is what prompted me to make this.

• Advertisement

Did you find out if it's possible to save him?

It might not actually be your brother's fault maybe, it could just be sick? (Again I know nothing about lizards)

Poor wee thing, hope you can get him help. Well done again for noticing and taking action.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Did you find out if it's possible to save him?

It might not actually be your brother's fault maybe, it could just be sick? (Again I know nothing about lizards)

Poor wee thing, hope you can get him help. Well done again for noticing and taking action.

Wes from <snip:no naming rescues in threads> said he looks ok from the picture I posted here, I think he's just massively underfed. My brother would go out and do whatever ****e he does in town and forget to feed the chameleon on multiple occasions. According to Wes, chameleons should be fed 4 crickets/locust each day (I think he was being fed every other day). The tank/case is also fairly simple looking and I don't think there's anything to control the humidity or the likes.

The flaky skin is apparently normal, although I still think it looks a bit odd and not what i'd expect shedding skin to look like.

I'm happy I decided to do this, I really don't want an innocent animal to die because of negligence of a family member. I'll likely be handing it over to Wes tomorrow.

Happy to say that the chameleon is now with Wes from <snip:no linking to rescues as per forum charter.PM only> and will be brought back to health & rehomed to a proper home.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doodle84

<snip>
    Please don't make unsubstantiated, potentially harmful remarks here.
    Closing thread now, as the op long sorted now
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement