Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Publish old newspaper articles and copyright law

• 11-08-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

if i wanted to publish old newspaper articles on a topic as part of a publication and the newspaper is defunct....how do I establish what my obligations are so that I dont breach copyright law? Or is it that no copyright exists as the paper is now gone?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How old is the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

copyright exists upto 70ish years after the death of the copyright holder .... has the reporter/newspaper been gone for over 70yrs?

I'm guessing NO and I'm guessing you would need permission to reproduce the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,

if i wanted to publish old newspaper articles on a topic as part of a publication and the newspaper is defunct....how do I establish what my obligations are so that I dont breach copyright law? Or is it that no copyright exists as the paper is now gone?

tks

Just because the newpaper is defunct, does not mean the the company that owned it is also defunct, it might still exist, for example the Irish Press/Evening Press/Sunday Presss are long gone, but the company, "Irish Press plc" still exists, it owns Thoms Directory and a share in TippFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Call Me Ishmael

hey all - tks for replies so far.

is it diffcult to obtain permission from a newspaper once you decide what to publish?
    tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

hey all - tks for replies so far.

is it diffcult to obtain permission from a newspaper once you decide what to publish?
    tks

I'd imagine it is just a matter of tracking the right person down (most likely the secretary of the company that owns the paper) and asking them for permission- make sure you get it in writing rather than a telephone call. The www.cro.ie site has a search function where you can find out who the directors are. Be aware that the newspaper name may not be the company name so you might have to do some Googling.

If you are just doing it as a one off and if it is a public interest kind of thing then I'd imagine they wouldn't have a problem. You should promise them that you would give them and the original journalist credit for the piece which is standard in journalism.

But if you are re-publishing old articles on a regular basis with a view to making money off them then thats an entirely different matter and they'd most likely want a cut of any profits. If you give us more information we might able to give better advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement