Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Australia

Options
  • 11-08-2012 6:36pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering do many people cycle in Oz?

Is it too hot to cycle to work?

Also do many/any here do any Mountain Biking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Lots of people cycle and it depends on where you are living as to if it is too hot. Mornings would normally be ok, but afternoons could be not nice. A short commute would be ok. Check out the bicycle network australia forum....http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the ridiculous helmet laws mean far less people cycle than would otherwise be the case and there was quite a large drop in casual cycling numbers when it was brought it.

Melbourne has a similar cycling scheme to Dublin Bikes but nowhere near as successful because of those same laws

That said for serious cycling some places look amazing and decent roads in general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I ride to work in Melbourne CBD everyday. My commute is fairly short (6km) and I find it ok in terms of weather etc. Mornings are definitely fine but can be sticky on summer evenings, had a few days where it was 37/38 degrees and needless to stay I broke a decent sweat but vast majority of time its really nice.

Don't do mountain biking but have done a good few rides around Victoria and some gorgeous trails and road cycling on offer. Really want to do loop of Tasmania, looks fantastic.

Re helmet laws. I would have agreed with above poster a couple of years ago but cycling around Melbourne has sold me on use of helmets. I have had a couple of spills, one due to oil on surface and one due to motorist pulling into bike lane at red light and forcing me into wall, in both instances I was left bloodied and bruised but would definitely have had serious head injury in first without helmet. I hit oil patch at 40km p/h and landed straight on side of me head, helmet cracked right at temple and cheekbone was badly bruised but without a helmet I dread to think of result of that impact. I am an experienced cyclist but there is just much potential for accident in Aus cities that Id never ride far without a helmet now....

Advertisement