Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new mosque in clongriffin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The mosque in Clonskeagh has worked out quite well, and is integrated with the neighbourhood.

I think this is a good thing for Clongriffen. The problem with these "new" suburbs (eg Adamstown, Ongar) is that at the start there's no community, nothing that ties the people together. So having this Islamic Centre there will provide a bit of a booster shot of culture and uniqness to Clongriffen.

It's not too odd a location imo. The southside has a mosque and town has a mosque, so it's natural that the next one be built on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Why is it a strange place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Probably not if there's a high enough number of Muslims to warrant it. Would free up the community centre or wherever they hold their services.

A built-up area in a city is actually a very obvious place for a mosque.
    A strange place would for it would be a country village.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

why were 3 posts including mine erased ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I would welcome a mosque to my area if it stopped gatherings/ceremonies/prayers being held in private housing estates with dozens of cars abandoned on footpaths and green spaces nearby.

If there are enough muslims to warrant it then I can't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

pontia wrote: »
    why were 3 posts including mine erased ?

You posted on the thread in After Hours. This is a different thread?

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

oh sorry,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Its not just a mosque in all fairness.

.....A two-year search for a suitable site for another Mosque along with a range of support facilities including a 34-classroom school, conference centre, assembly hall, playground, swimming pool and on-site apartments.

Sounds lovely to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is the proposed site the big tract of land just beside the Centra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Q, has the two mosques In Dublin got minarets and are they used to call for prayer ?

• Advertisement

There's also a Mosque on Talbot Street

Thread from 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Onixx wrote: »
    Probably not if there's a high enough number of Muslims to warrant it. Would free up the community centre or wherever they hold their services.

A built-up area in a city is actually a very obvious place for a mosque.
    A strange place would for it would be a country village.
    Well if you know clongriffen you would know its a very built up area,one road in and one road out,to Add an extra 40,000 people daily seems like a bit of a disaster with a view to transport etc.one bus stops there,but the dart does stop there which is something.

One thing I keep thinking is there is a lot of young families in the area with young kids.Not easy to predict how sticking this in the middle would work with a view to mixing and integrating etc.

Seems like it has just went through under the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

The area is already very populated with traffic problems every morning and evening. The buses and trains are also packed every morning and evening. I assume they have plans to improve this before building such a significant development in the area?! I hope prayer calls will not be allowed or there will be a lot of very unhappy local residents.

Add an extra 40,000 people daily

What? What are you talking about?

there are 40k Muslims in Dublin, which already has 3 Mosques, a fairly sizable one over the Southside and two (possibly more) smaller ones in town.

Now, instead of making silly generalisations like "daily" maybe you need to educate yourself a bit about Muslim attendance at Mosque services.

Yes, in Muslim countries there is a call to prayer twice or three times a day (that also happens here, in the form of the Angelus bells ringing at 12 and 6 by the way), but the vast, vast majority of Muslims attend Mosque only once a week, usually on a Friday or a Saturday.

It's a Friday in the one on Talbot Street, I've often seen them coming out of there after their service. Usually they are friendly and peaceful, if not a little rowdy and happy to see their friends, hugging and talking a bit loudly. Meh.

I'd imagine with them wanting to integrate, they'll try to be as un-disruptive as possible, and will more than likely have their main services on a Saturday. But like every single church in Dublin, you'll have the more devout members of the congregation attending services every morning, the feckin cheek of them.

If this was a large church being built, no-one would care.

Muslims are normal human beings, albeit there are probably a higher % of them who still retain their faith compared to the Irish "catholics" of today.

I can't wait until this is built, Mosques are some of the most beautiful buildings in the world.

And god knows, Clongriffin needs a nice building to look at, it will be wonderfully juxtaposed with the ghost town that is Priory Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

lola85 wrote: »
    The area is already very populated with traffic problems every morning and evening. The buses and trains are also packed every morning and evening. I assume they have plans to improve this before building such a significant development in the area?! I hope prayer calls will not be allowed or there will be a lot of very unhappy local residents.

School,swimming pool,conference centres ,accommodation etc being brought to the area alongside employment and you complain about prayer calls.
    That whole area that the Muslim group is looking to develop is a wasteland.

Do the local business around Christchurch complain about those bleedin infernal bells they constantly chime?

do my nut in they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Suppose I will have to ask my question to my Muslim barber who I see quite regularly and shall lets you know.

realies wrote: »
    Suppose I will have to ask my question to my Muslim barber who I see quite regularly and shall lets you know.

The Mosque on Talbot St has no minaret, and there is no call to prayer.

I don't know about the southside one. But I've never heard anyone ever make reference to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

One thing I keep thinking is there is a lot of young families in the area with young kids.Not easy to predict how sticking this in the middle would work with a view to mixing and integrating etc.

There shouldn't be any problems with "mixing and integrating". The muslims in Clonskeagh fit in just fine, and I've never heard of any racism towards them. This isn't like France where the muslims (or at least the north Africans) have historically been stamped upon and subsequently rebel. And don't forget that even within those of Islamic faith, there are many different races and cultures that don't necessarily have much in common (eg Indonesia, Malaysia, Turkey, Pakistan, west Africa, central Asia). It's not like all the muslims will be congregating to the exclusion of white Irish catholics! This can only be a positive thing for the area.

Also, saying it's gone under the radar is a bit ridiculous as according to the Irish Times article you linked to, there hasn't even been a planning application made yet. People can voice their concerns publicly once that's done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I live about 5 min walk from there proposed site and think its a great idea.The shopping center there may open now with alot more activity in the area.Its actually a great spot for this as its right beside the dart and a good bus services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Well if you know clongriffen you would know its a very built up area,one road in and one road out,to Add an extra 40,000 people daily seems like a bit of a disaster with a view to transport etc.one bus stops there,but the dart does stop there which is something.

The road from Marrsfield to Hole in the Wall Road is due to open soon afaik.

Where abouts is this to be built in Clongriffin? Beside Marrsfield or further up?

Anything that will breathe some more energy into Clongriffin and the whole area can only be a good thing imho. Also as Dub13 said, maybe this means the shopping centre will get to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Des wrote: »
    Is the proposed site the big tract of land just beside the Centra?

The land borders the park and Marrsfield Ave.
    The clearing of the site began in May 2012.

mattjack wrote: »
    That whole area that the Muslim group is looking to develop is a wasteland.

True enough, and an eyesore. It is an area of land that was going to have a high density apartment complex on it. Some of the underground infrastructure was already put in by the previous developer (owner).

realies wrote: »
    Q, has the two mosques In Dublin got minarets and are they used to call for prayer ?

Clonskea has a minaret, No they do not call to prayer through it.
    People know what time prayer will be at, they arrive early and the Imam will call them to prayer inside.
    Those who cannot attend can receive the call by a radio broadcast on a special receiver in their homes.

Not quite..

The news article is from the 16 of May and it says a formal application was to be put through this Summer, which would mean once the application gets lodged, notices will have to be posted on the outside of the proposed development for all to see.
    Add an extra 40,000 people daily seems like a bit of a disaster with a view to transport etc.

The article says there are 40,000 muslims in the City and its suburbs.
    Further down the article it says the centre will be abe to accomodate up to 5,000 people at any one time.
    I imagine the apartment development that was going to be built there beforehand may have housed as many, if not more people had it been built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ok fair enough I read that article wrong ill admit that.
    People are making good points as to why its a good thing.

As I said I was worried and still am about public transport and how it will affect the area.anyone who lives around the area will know there is way too many apartments and houses in relation to roads and bus stops.its a nightmare most days just getting through the area,it was a case of build as much as we can but pay no attention to roads and logistics.I just don't want to see another project stuck in somewhere with no proper planning etc AGAIN.
    As far as the shopping centre opening,it was meant to be open 5 years now,I can't see this giving it the much needed push.There is plenty of big shops around the area,one is a 5 minute walk from clongriffin,so why the shop needs to be opened so urgently is beyond me.

But as I said there is some good points been made as to why it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there are many different races and cultures that don't necessarily have much in common

Their holy handbook says that they have a great deal in common :P

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

seems like great news for the area, gives it a much needed boost

probably bad news for the lads who run the off-licence there though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

It's over a year since I lived in Clongriffin, but the only time I remember traffic being really bad is early mornings, at Donaghmede roundabout, not even in Clongriffin itself. I think there's plans to replace it with a junction which will hopefully make it quicker to get through for anyone coming from Clongriffin.

I think it's great news, anything that draws people into a new estate is a good thing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

From the article:
    "A two-year search for a suitable site for another Mosque along with a range of support facilities including a 34-classroom school, conference centre, assembly hall, playground, swimming pool and on-site apartments"

This is not going to end well. Does this state ever learn from the disaster that is British policy in this area? Blind, utterly blind.

This is yet more evidence of the short sightedness of this state continuing its support for denominational education, a policy which itself is from the 1830s. Once they get these "rights" to a state-financed education this state will find it very, very, very hard to take them back.

The sooner all religion is taken out of all state-funded Irish schools and the Irish state assumes control of all schools which receive state funding the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement