Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new mosque in clongriffin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I have to say I think there's a lot of truth to what Cork Boy posted. Just talk to people living in London or Paris.

While I'm not against this project I think it's totally naive to say it's not being built with the goal of increasing Islamic power. With a larger presence (by that through numbers or establishments) in our society they will have a stronger voice - to suggest otherwise is foolish. While I'm all for equality I just don't agree with their views on how society should be run and they will and have pushed their views onto the Government etc.

Well the figure being thrown about after the last census is about 49,000 Muslims, about maybe 1.5% of the population, hardly likely to have a major impact on society,even if Islam is the fastest growing religion in our society its going to be a long time before any if indeed any major impact is ever felt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

mattjack wrote: »
    Well the figure being thrown about after the last census is about 49,000 Muslims, about maybe 1.5% of the population, hardly likely to have a major impact on society,even if Islam is the fastest growing religion in our society its going to be a long time before any if indeed any major impact is ever felt here.

So it's ok because it will happen slowly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Jesus h christ, its a mosque being built, not an Al Queda recruitment office. The right wing views being displayed on this thread are depressing. I'd be more worried about the catholic church getting patronage of more schools than this tbh.

Why shouldn't muslims have another centre to worship at in Dublin? Its being privately funded and is turning an area that is now wasteland into, hopefully, a hive of activity with plenty of amenities for the local communities, all of them, not just the islamic community.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

you have to ask why arabs and putting money into this ? were the furthest country in europe from them,theres alqaeda cells here.not saying theres a connection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

pontia wrote: »
    you have to ask why arabs and putting money into this ?
    Who else is gonna pony up the dough to build a mosque?
    were the furthest country in europe from them,
    What does that have to do with anything?
    theres alqaeda cells here.no saying theres a connection
    Wow.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Jesus h christ, its a mosque being built, not an Al Queda recruitment office. The right wing views being displayed on this thread are depressing. I'd be more worried about the catholic church getting patronage of more schools than this tbh.

Yeah I'd also be unhappy if it was a Catholic development. Interesting that you'd be more worried if it was Catholic though. Why? Perhaps because they are the predominant religion that actually do hold power (albeit dwindling) in this country due to their numbers and they are the ones you have seen controlling people (outlawing of contraception, divorce, abortion, homosexuality etc).

What makes Islam any different? If anything Islam, if given the same power as the Catholic church in Ireland, would have a much more vocal and aggressive approach to pushing their religion into the State's business. Is it really an organisation you want to become more powerful? Look at some of the countries which have "embraced" the Sharia way.

The people expressing "right-wing views" are looking at what developments like this mean for the future of Islam in Ireland. Nobody thinks it's going to have instant negative effects, in fact it will most likely give the area a boost in many ways, but you can't deny it gives more power to a religious organisation which I'm sure you can agree is not a road we want to go down again. We are only in the last few decades truly freeing ourselves from the control of the Catholic church.

I'm sure the PC guys will label me a racist (I never said anything racist at all) but I just think it's naive to assume that this massive facility isn't giving Islam (and religion in general) more power in modern, almost-secular Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Since when is having a problem with a repressive religion right wing? Islam is probably the most robust right wing entity on this planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I couldn't give a toss about Islam or Muslimas and their Mosque.

I just want to question their sanity for building the thing in Clongriffin.

What a kip of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yeah I'd also be unhappy if it was a Catholic development. Interesting that you'd be more worried if it was Catholic though. Why? Perhaps because they are the predominant religion that actually do hold power (albeit dwindling) in this country due to their numbers and they are the ones you have seen controlling people (outlawing of contraception, divorce, abortion, homosexuality etc).

What makes Islam any different? If anything Islam, if given the same power as the Catholic church in Ireland, would have a much more vocal and aggressive approach to pushing their religion into the State's business. Is it really an organisation you want to become more powerful? Look at some of the countries which have "embraced" the Sharia way.

The people expressing "right-wing views" are looking at what developments like this mean for the future of Islam in Ireland. Nobody thinks it's going to have instant negative effects, in fact it will most likely give the area a boost in many ways, but you can't deny it gives more power to a religious organisation which I'm sure you can agree is not a road we want to go down again. We are only in the last few decades truly freeing ourselves from the control of the Catholic church.

I'm sure the PC guys will label me a racist (I never said anything racist at all) but I just think it's naive to assume that this massive facility isn't giving Islam (and religion in general) more power in modern, almost-secular Ireland.

If , anything you're consistant , you don't want a development by Muslims and don't want any development by the Catholic Church.

All those in favour of leaving the piece of land a waste land , raise your hands.

If , anything you're consistant , you don't want a development by Muslims and don't want any development by the Catholic Church.

All those in favour of leaving the piece of land a waste land , raise your hands.
    While I'm not against this project I think it's totally naive to say it's not being built with the goal of increasing Islamic power.
    While I'm not against this project
    I'm not against this project
    not against this project
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

:)

Ireland is nowhere near secular. There's nothing to fear from 'giving Islam more power'.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

Madam_X wrote: »
    A strange place would for it would be a country village.

You've obviously never been to Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Overseas funding! Saudi money I suppose. What form of islam will be taught?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The planning application was lodged during the week according to an Irish Times article. Does anyone know what the planning reference number is for the application? I want to look at the plans but I cannot for the life of me find it on the DCC website - it's probably staring at me in one of the searches no doubt. I'm nowhere near the area, so going out to try to find a site notice is my last resort!

Clongriffin is in Fingal County Council, not Dublin City Council. There should be a list of recent planning applications in their planning section.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Aard wrote: »
    Clongriffin is in Fingal County Council, not Dublin City Council. There should be a list of recent planning applications in their planning section.

Hi, 

Clongriffin is not Fingal. East of the railway and north of the Mayne River is Fingal. Clongriffin is DCC.

A planning notice was erected on Sept 10th in the area but the application never made it in on time. I believe it is imminent though and should be there any day. Keep searching on DCC planning for "Clongriffin", "Marrsfield" or " Panhandle Park" and it will eventually show.

skD13 wrote: »
    Hi, 

Clongriffin is not Fingal. East of the railway and north of the Mayne River is Fingal. Clongriffin is DCC.

A planning notice was erected on Sept 10th in the area but the application never made it in on time. I believe it is imminent though and should be there any day. Keep searching on DCC planning for "Clongriffin", "Marrsfield" or " Panhandle Park" and it will eventually show.
    Thanks, yeah I figured I had been looking at the right council's site, there's a load of other applications from Clongriffin on DCC's site. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Whoops! Sorry Frank Grimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

The planning application is in 3325/12.

No documentation yet. That will take a couple of weeks.

Will be interesting to watch this debate kick off. There's already 100 odd pages over on Politics.ie.

As someone living in Clongriffin I am somewhere in the middle on this and trying to figure out the pros and cons. But it is very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to discussion on sensitive issues like this.

I'm not a religious man but I am all for freedom of religion etc. However I have a problem with religion when it tries to force itself on others and particularly if it tries to subvert the state laws in any way. For instance, there is a large school planned as part of this. Will it teach the state curriculum in it's entirety and keep religion to religion class only. Or will it teach ancient beliefs (I have read articles from mainstream UK media about Muslim schools there teaching creationism etc.). Will the swimming pool be open to the public and if so will it be segregated?

There are many questions regarding this but a reasoned debate is difficult as this will bring out all sorts of extremists shouting the odds.

The planning application is in 3325/12.
    Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Permission has been granted for the Mosque to be build in Clongriffen.

From The RTE Web Site
    Plans for Ireland's biggest mosque have been given the go-ahead by Dublin City Council for a site in the north of the city.
    The six-acre site in Clongriffin will be able to cater for up to 3,000 Muslims during festivals.
    One condition of the planning permission is that there is no call to prayer audible outside the complex.
    The development will consist of a three-storey domed mosque with minarets, a conference centre, primary and secondary schools and fitness centre with swimming pool.

The mosque will cater for around 550 people for Friday night prayers but up to 3,000 for the festival of Eid.
    Local Labour TD Sean Kenny said the vast majority of people in Clongriffin were in favour of the development.
    He said he was glad that concerns about noise, parking and access through the site have been addressed.
    The planning application was made by a group called The Dublin Welfare Society and it is believed that a benefactor from the United Arab Emirates is funding the project, which is expected to cost at least €40m.
    The site, which is situated between Father Collins Park and Clongriffin DART station, is owned by developer Gerry Gannon and had been empty since the collapse of the property market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here's hoping there will be some jobs for locals during the building of it. Looks like a fine complex of buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ice man75

After a quick read of the grant of permission & planners report I am glad that most of my concerns regarding this development have been addressed but I think I still have a concern or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Why is it a strange place ?

Because its Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Rumors abound that the new mega-mosque at Clongriffin will be financed by Qatar, which has been engaged in a multi-million euro spending spree to spread Wahhabi Islam around Europe.

Wahhabism -- which not only discourages Muslim integration in the West, but actively encourages jihad against non-Muslims -- threatens to radicalize Muslim immigrants in Ireland, according to the Irish Times.

Qatari Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, who has long cultivated an image as a pro-Western reformist and modernizer, has vowed to "spare no effort" to spread the fundamentalist teachings of Wahhabi Islam across "the whole world." -- Frank Roman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

tiger55 wrote: »
    Rumors abound that the new mega-mosque at Clongriffin will be financed by Qatar, which has been engaged in a multi-million euro spending spree to spread Wahhabi Islam around Europe.

Wahhabism -- which not only discourages Muslim integration in the West, but actively encourages jihad against non-Muslims -- threatens to radicalize Muslim immigrants in Ireland, according to the Irish Times.

Qatari Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, who has long cultivated an image as a pro-Western reformist and modernizer, has vowed to "spare no effort" to spread the fundamentalist teachings of Wahhabi Islam across "the whole world." -- Frank Roman

Well looking at your posting history would indicate someone into conspiracy theories, rumour-mongering tied in with a twist of racism and sectarianism, so I won't be giving anything you say much creedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ice man75

This planning app. Has been appealed to An Board Pleanala

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

tiger55 - Unless you have proof to back-up your claim I will take your allegation as trolling (or '****-stirring' as I sometimes call it).

If you cannot provide back-up - do not post in this thread again.

tHB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

MarkMc wrote: »

Why shouldn't muslims have another centre to worship at in Dublin? Its being privately funded and is turning an area that is now wasteland into, hopefully, a hive of activity with plenty of amenities for the local communities, all of them, not just the islamic community.

26 Irish based jihadis are over fighting in Syria at present. One of them was only 16 and recruited by extremists. He lost his life.

We have had enough religous strife on this island without importing more of it. Thats not a right wing view - its common f*cking sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

26 Irish based jihadis are over fighting in Syria at present. One of them was only 16 and recruited by extremists. He lost his life.

Source or gtfo. Seriously. No further bullsh1t allegations or baseless claims to be made on this thread. Post on Stormfront if you wish, but if this continues here bans will be dished out.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement