Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who dont read books

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

ScumLord wrote: »
    I never said I had little familiarity with fiction. I grew up on fiction, I was a big sci-fi fan but after a while you've pretty much seen it all and they're just retelling the same stories over and over again. There is really only a handful of fiction worth reading/watching and the rest is just a rehash of those stories. I'm not going to to sit through it over and over again just for something to do. If I'm not learning something new I don't see the point.

Well then good sir, this is where we part our ways. There are many stories out there, and many ways to tell a good story. It's all in the telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Me. I never read a book in my life. Have no interest. Have no time.

It's just not my thing.

Does that make everybody else better than me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Bad Panda wrote: »
    As for the condescending posts re imagination, allow me to be equally so in my response:

Reading isn't the only way to a great imagination. Some of us are just born with an imagination, others have to read to develop theirs.

I agree. But it is a great way to develop the imagination we're all born with. Even the most prosaic non-fiction requires the reader to actively create the meaning of words placed together, and visualise objects and concepts written about.

gammygils wrote: »
    Me. I never read a book in my life. Have no interest. Have no time.

It's just not my thing.

Does that make everybody else better than me?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

So, for all the intellectuals out there, who wrote "said reader to rider"? Pretty much sums life up does that. Some read about it, others live it. In before "And yes, others post about it". Readings great, I enjoy it, but it's not the bee all and end all. I'm ignoring all the smart arse comments re shakespeare, as the quality of mercy droppeth as a sweet rain from heaven.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    So, for all the intellectuals out there, who wrote "said reader to rider"? Pretty much sums life up does that. Some read about it, others live it. In before "And yes, others post about it". Readings great, I enjoy it, but it's not the bee all and end all.

Lovely work there Pottler. Lovin your style. Big up to the intellectuals! The Bee all and end all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Agricola wrote: »
    The reason I said reading fiction might give someone the benefit of an improved vocabulary was to separate that from the benefits you would get from reading factual works, ie actual knowledge.
    The thing about factual books is they are often clear and concise with their words. They can't afford to play in fantasy.

Fantasy in this day and age means anything is possible and while that may seem liberating in many ways it more often than not means writers can become very lazy. They don't think things through and rely on magic and feelings overcoming logic and sense to sidestep putting any real effort into a story.

For instance, I just watched the 3rd instalment of the starship troopers franchise and it was horrible, full of plot holes and completely dependant on the action and CGI to carry it along. In the end it was just horribly stupid. I loved the first film, sure it was stupid but it created it's own world and everything worked within that world.

I'm also a zombie fan but I've yet to see more than one or two zombie films that are any good, the majority are just zombie gore killing films that are carbon copies of the last successful zombie film set in a slightly different location. All incredibly stupid and I've scoured the internet consuming anything zombie related for something good, budget not a concern.

Many people that read/watch fiction and get sucked into this fantasy land where they'll produce works based on what they/others think is cool rather than building a well thought out world. They're not creating believable scenarios unless you want to completely separate the story from logic, reason and throw everything you've learned about life out the window. It's just pandering to what people want as light entertainment rather than creating something valid and inspiring. If anything it's dumbing down art for the masses and it's not really helping anybody.

I'm of the opinion art is more or less dead, we're just producing product at this stage. Maybe art will come back one day but for now it's dormant.

The thing about factual books is they are often clear and concise with their words. They can't afford to play in fantasy.

Fantasy in this day and age means anything is possible and while that may seem liberating in many ways it more often than not means writers can become very lazy. They don't think things through and rely on magic and feelings overcoming logic and sense to sidestep putting any real effort into a story.

For instance, I just watched the 3rd instalment of the starship troopers franchise and it was horrible, full of plot holes and completely dependant on the action and CGI to carry it along. In the end it was just horribly stupid. I loved the first film, sure it was stupid but it created it's own world and everything worked within that world.

I'm also a zombie fan but I've yet to see more than one or two zombie films that are any good, the majority are just zombie gore killing films that are carbon copies of the last successful zombie film set in a slightly different location. All incredibly stupid and I've scoured the internet consuming anything zombie related for something good, budget not a concern.

Many people that read/watch fiction and get sucked into this fantasy land where they'll produce works based on what they/others think is cool rather than building a well thought out world. They're not creating believable scenarios unless you want to completely separate the story from logic, reason and throw everything you've learned about life out the window. It's just pandering to what people want as light entertainment rather than creating something valid and inspiring. If anything it's dumbing down art for the masses and it's not really helping anybody.

I'm of the opinion art is more or less dead, we're just producing product at this stage. Maybe art will come back one day but for now it's dormant.

All of fiction ≠ fantasy. Just' sayin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

People who are choosing Harry Potter/Twilight as examples of fiction are way off the mark. Two of the greatest books I have read are Animal Farm and 1984. Currently making a start on Brave New World. These are complete fantasy but I would put them way ahead of some of the factual and historical books I have read.

Simply accumulating facts and knowledge does not make a person intelligent or interesting. Any book that can make you think and get the cogs inside your head turning is a good book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Philistines.

I'm not sure why you are bringing up the Middle East in this thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All of fiction ≠ fantasy. Just' sayin.
    They are pretty much the same thing, fantasy is a child of fiction that thinks fiction is to serious. Another way of describing fantasy would be to call it non realistic fiction.

They are pretty much the same thing, fantasy is a child of fiction that thinks fiction is to serious. Another way of describing fantasy would be to call it non realistic fiction.

No no no. The particular examples that you brought up in your post belong to the genre typified as science fiction, with so many sub sub sub genres within (and horror; here be zombies). There are many types of fiction/genre, spanning from realism to the phantasmagorical. Broaden your mind brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Yes.
    So you think people who sit on their arses with their noses stuck in a book are better than those who don't?

Some people are active you know!!

Maybe I'll read a book when I'm retired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Its interesting that so many people think you can learn nothing from fiction.

If a work of fiction is set during a certain historical period or in a particular industry for example, is well researched and accurately portrayed, you certainly can expand your knowledge base.

Equally interesting is the concept that watching a movie is the equal to reading a book. My imagination has no location budget, no props budget, no limits. Nothing on screen can equal the infinite possibilities my inner cinema can offer me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Yup, bad Fantasy Writers do that. Although, any Fantasy writer worth their salt would not have a random event, a magic spell or even a setting act as a Deux ex Machina. The same could be said for any writer, genre or otherwise, on this planet. I think a random bolt of lightning killing an antagonist would be annoying enough without the added magical flair:P

Anyway,IMO , the only thing worse than looking down on someone for reading books, is looking down on someone for not reading books.

So you think people who sit on their arses with their noses stuck in a book are better than those who don't?

Ha. The internets be serious business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I read page 3 of the Sun, does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

nbar12 wrote: »
    'News in Briefs' is amazing.

There's not much readin in it (nor the whole rag in entirety). But maybe we'll give you your hall pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm amazed at how many people I've seen and heard suggest that 50 Shades of Grey is the first book they've read in years. Purely because.... well, those girls are in for a treat when they discover Google.

Of all the books to make an exception for, you pick the embarrassingly bad fanfic based one that's much worse than the effectively infinite amount of free smut available to every single internet compatible device you own?

Not to mention one that's instantly recognisable by its cover to everybody around you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I generally read the jokes on the Penguin bar wrappers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

There's not much readin in it (nor the whole rag in entirety). But maybe we'll give you your hall pass.

ahhh c'mon now, reading their name, age and occupation is a great read!

On a serious note about this discussion, I don't read, it's just not for me, don't get me wrong I would love to be able to sit down and enjoy a good book but I can't bring myself to it. A friend said I would be better off reading the Hunger Games book before I watched the movie,so I went to Easons and bought it, that was about 3 months ago and I still haven't read it let alone taken it out of the bag...

I'm amazed at how many people I've seen and heard suggest that 50 Shades of Grey is the first book they've read in years. Purely because.... well, those girls are in for a treat when they discover Google.

Of all the books to make an exception for, you pick the embarrassingly bad fanfic based one that's much worse than the effectively infinite amount of free smut available to every single internet compatible device you own, and is instantly recognisable to everybody around you?

Absolutely. Such tame, horrifically craptastic ****e (based on the research I've done). Much more interesting free smut out there.

ahhh c'mon now, reading their name, age and occupation is a great read!

On a serious note about this discussion, I don't read, it's just not for me, don't get me wrong I would love to be able to sit down and enjoy a good book but I can't bring myself to it. A friend said I would be better off reading the Hunger Games book before I watched the movie,so I went to Easons and bought it, that was about 3 months ago and I still haven't read it let alone taken it out of the bag...

Ha, didn't know they offered a bio. On a side note, read your Hunger Games, see it calling you from across the room inside its little paper bag... What the hell, you may even enjoy it... Just be aware its a rip off of Battle Royale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Generally I cant read fiction type books, no interest in self indulgent arty farty tripe. I could read self help/improvement books or books on topics that might interest me like history or true crime maybe, but anything else would just bore me to tears, Id give up after 10 pages. So i suppose that makes me a dumbass in some peoples eyes

WumBuster wrote: »
    Generally I cant read fiction type books, no interest in self indulgent arty farty tripe. I could read self help/improvement books or books on topics that might interest me like history or true crime maybe, but anything else would just bore me to tears, Id give up after 10 pages. So i suppose that makes me a dumbass in some peoples eyes

Not a dumbass... but what could happen after the tenth page mark?!! Aren't you curious??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Well, I've read Hunger Games, and I loved it. As regards SF and fantasy, I enjoyed Asimov's stuff, and Robinsons Mars Trilogy among too many others. I have only recently "discovered" Jack Vance. How have I missed this genius for so long? I also recently read "We need to talk about Kevin" and was blown away by it's style and storyline.

What I'm trying to say is that every book I read opens up a new book, a genre and author. Its a never ending journey. A voyage of discovery. A World anew. Whats not to like?

I dont feel superior to non-readers. I feel sorry for their loss. But I guess its like trying to explain colour to a blind person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'd very rarely read fiction and often read non fiction, the last book of fiction I read was " The fountainhead" about 3 years ago. I usually read autobiographies or scientific books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Giselle wrote: »
    Its interesting that so many people think you can learn nothing from fiction.

If a work of fiction is set during a certain historical period or in a particular industry for example, is well researched and accurately portrayed, you certainly can expand your knowledge base.

Equally interesting is the concept that watching a movie is the equal to reading a book. My imagination has no location budget, no props budget, no limits. Nothing on screen can equal the infinite possibilities my inner cinema can offer me. :)

Absolutely agree with this. I've just finished reading 'Unspoken' by Gerard Stembridge which is a portrayal of life in 1950's Ireland. It was mainly a work of fiction but the politicians who featured in the book were real and well researched. It got me reading a bit about politics during that era in Ireland.

Another book was totally fictional but based around a painting which awakened my desire for a visit to the National Gallery which I thoroughly enjoyed and will do again.

Another was based on the 'Tsotsi' gangs in 1950's shantytowns of South Africa. Until I read that book I'd never heard of these gangs.

There's a lot of learning to be had from reading well researched fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love to read both fiction and non-fiction. I can't imagine not reading, it's pure escapism. I only wish I had more time for it:(. On the other hand, my OH never picks up a book, and my children have next to no interest in reading. The house is full of my books, and I have given them every encouragement to read over the years, buying them books I think they'd enjoy. I read to them when they were small. They had no patience for that either. I think it's a pity in the sense that when you are a reader you are never bored, with a book to hand. But do I think less of somebody who doesn't read? Certainly not. I will say in my experience, the one thing I have noticed with the non readers in my house, is they have difficulty with spelling. I wonder is this just coincidence, or as a reader do you absorb the spelling of words?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

73Cat wrote: »
    I love to read both fiction and non-fiction. I can't imagine not reading, it's pure escapism. I only wish I had more time for it:(. On the other hand, my OH never picks up a book, and my children have next to no interest in reading. The house is full of my books, and I have given them every encouragement to read over the years, buying them books I think they'd enjoy. I read to them when they were small. They had no patience for that either. I think it's a pity in the sense that when you are a reader you are never bored, with a book to hand. But do I think less of somebody who doesn't read? Certainly not. I will say in my experience, the one thing I have noticed with the non readers in my house, is they have difficulty with spelling. I wonder is this just coincidence, or as a reader do you absorb the spelling of words?

Agree with you totally .... also, in my experience, non-readers are often less able to express their views and opinions and often seem to run out of vocabulary. I'm an avid reader of everything, except the current crop of vampire & zombie nonsense & the 50 whatevers but I certainly would never be condescending or patronising to anyone who doesn't share my passion vive la différence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

And yet they do. Non-fiction books (bar maybe self-help manuals and things like that) all have elements of fantasy/fiction.

An easy thing to say when you don't seem to be engaging with 'art' anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

How does reading stuff like john grisham or 50 shades of gray make you more intelligent?

Someone that is highly educated probably works in a job that requires a lot of time spent reading, in their free time they may want to try something different.

Also those 3 lads may read regularly but with young fellas they may want to give the impression that they are out all the time having the craic and roideing all their b1tches yo.

What sort of books do you read OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Reading ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ColHol wrote: »
    People who are choosing Harry Potter/Twilight as examples of fiction are way off the mark.

Its also insulting that they would compare the relatively well-written Harry Potter to the junk that is Twilight. There's a massive gap between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's not an all-or-nothing choice. You can be active and a reader. I'm going to run a few kilometres later, then in the evening start on Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh.
    I don't see why the two ought to be mutually exclusive.
    Formation wrote: »
    How does reading stuff like john grisham or 50 shades of gray make you more intelligent?

Someone that is highly educated probably works in a job that requires a lot of time spent reading, in their free time they may want to try something different.

Also those 3 lads may read regularly but with young fellas they may want to give the impression that they are out all the time having the craic and roideing all their b1tches yo.

What sort of books do you read OP?

There a few more writers apart from John Grisham and whoever wrote Fifty Shades of Grey, you know. Why not mention Dostoevsky, Joyce, Orwell etc?

Great writers have, for example, increased my knowledge about people and the world, and also increased my ability to understand both, and have also increased my cognitive abilities through the mental exercise of reading.

This can still happen to a lesser extent with inferior (in my opinion) writers.
    WumBuster wrote: »

Eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Mentioning those sort of books was my whole point and odds are that those are the sort of books the op reads for pleasure.

I do still get surprised sometimes when people tell me they just never read. We all have different hobbies though. I guess I'm just so into reading and so are a lot of people I know that it's unusual for me to see. Grew up with my nose always in a book...

73Cat wrote: »
    I will say in my experience, the one thing I have noticed with the non readers in my house, is they have difficulty with spelling. I wonder is this just coincidence, or as a reader do you absorb the spelling of words?
    I think there is a connection all right. You're bound to absorb the spelling of words when you read them over and over. You'll pick up what looks right.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

I get ya OP, you're right;

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

NoQuarter wrote: »
    OP tell me a hobby you dont do so I can express some outrage please. SCUBA diving? You dont? Outrageous!

You consider reading a Hobby??! :eek:

It's one of the few things human beings can do to actually improve ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Myself and a mate love books so much that we decided to celebrate them through the medium of rap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm okay with people who don't read books, but hate when people act as if I'm a boring nerd.

I primarily read fiction, most genres. Factual would be limited to history only. Fiction is really valuable, I have a huge vocabulary and have always been excellent at spelling and grammar. It helped me enormously through school and college and made things like tying the threads of an essay together easy. I am very aware of how beneficial reading has been for me. It also leads me into historical research quite frequently. The book 'The Other Boleyn Girl' led me into intense study of Tudor England and the devouring of countless historical and historical fiction works on the same era. I can't be without a book!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I'm not a fan of reading novels but I do read comic books.

I also watch a good bit of subbed TV shows, does that count as reading? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some people don't read books, and some people have short memories: People who don't read books. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of reading novels but I do read comic books.

I also watch a good bit of subbed TV shows, does that count as reading? :)

Well at least you didn't try to call them 'graphic novels' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one.”
    ― George R.R. Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I never said I had little familiarity with fiction. I grew up on fiction, I was a big sci-fi fan but after a while you've pretty much seen it all and they're just retelling the same stories over and over again. There is really only a handful of fiction worth reading/watching and the rest is just a rehash of those stories. I'm not going to to sit through it over and over again just for something to do. If I'm not learning something new I don't see the point.

I agree that most fiction/movies tell the same basic stories or combination of stories (there are only seven according to this book), but it's not the story that's important, it's the telling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I don't read fictional books because they're nearly all crap. Most books and films these days are just retelling the same old stories from a slightly different perspective. At this stage you really can judge a book by it's cover.

That shall go for video games, and culture in general, so? Along with opinions? Boards is irrelevent by that reasoning as well.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I read both fiction and non fiction, reading the A Song of Ice And Fire series (It's NOT the "Game Of Thrones" series, thats just the first book. \pedant) at the moment, looking at my bookshelf right now there's some Stephen King, Tolkien, loads of books that were turned into movies (film nerd so I like seeing how the two compare) some movie screenplays, a couple of history books, some biographies/autobiographies of people I find interesting. Some filmmaking books and some science stuff (populist guff like A Brief History Of Time :pac: ).

I couldn't imagine not reading, whatever about not reading particular genres of fiction, but fiction entirely? thats like saying you dont like music because you hate Justin Bieber, baffling statement. Its all the same rehashed stuff? no it isn't and how would you know if you haven't read any of it? I used to be more of a bookworm and when I had a cast on for a couple of months I was going through a book every other day, its a great way to improve your vocabulary, critical thinking, improve historical knowledge and open your eyes to a lot of topics you may not have been aware of previously.

I'm far from an avid reader now and with the internet, movies, video games etc I don't read as much as I once did, still one of the little joys in life is sitting down to read a new book for the first time, the smell of the pages, the feel of it, the things a kindle can't replace (not knocking kindles, I keep meaning to buy one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Books are fantastic - I try and read whenever I get the chance (something informative/non-fiction/relating to my line of work) but I wouldn't be down on others that don't enjoy it.

Some people watch Xfactor and Britains Got Talent. Imagine these people looking down on someone that doesn't watch it...well, we all know who the real clowns are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement