Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male vs female cat

• 11-08-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi
    me and my girlfriend are considering getting a cat. we were out looking at our local cat shelter today just to get a feel and have a look around and of course talk to the guys out there about which cat would be best suited.

we have pretty much narrowed it down to two cats one a male and the other a female, we are going out next week with our dog to see how he gets on with them and to make sure everyone will be happy living together.

now I'm just wondering if there is a preference over having a male or female cat, is one or affectionate then the other? ect. both of course will be neutered/spayed. I've read some things on the internet that say females are more independent and males more affectionate. so just wondering whats your experience? is there really any difference?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭samsx

hey there, we have a male and female cat (brother and sister) and both spayed. We also have three dogs, they NEVER meet, its close to WW3...
    I never minded cats until we got our own, the female is pure useless, sleeps, eats and cries constantly.
    The male is a fantastic hunter (rats/mice etc.) which was great until we found him on the kitchen floor with a half dead rat one winter evening.
    Cats will hop in windows constantly and their 'toilet' is extremely potent and dangerous for children/pregnant women.
    I would never get a cat again, go get another loving dog (or even 2 more dogs) cats are loveless balls of fur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

samsx wrote: »
    .cats are loveless balls of fur.

Bullshit. I'm just back from feeding my brother's cat and he was all over me cos he was lonely the poor thing and they're only gone a day. A very affectionate wee thing he is.

Anyhoo, why don't you ask the staff which one is more sociable OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jono!

Anyhoo, why don't you ask the staff which one is more sociable OP?

well it was between us and the staff that we pretty much came up with the choice of the two, she said both would be perfect for our situation they are both older one 6months and the other 8months so would be more able for the dog. so was just wondering if there was actually a difference between the male and females or do we just have to do eenie, meenie, minie, mo?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It really depends on the cat tbh. We have 9 here, 5 boys and 4 girls.
    one of the girls is the most lovable cat you will ever meet, her daughter likes to be left to her own devises, the other 2 are very afectionate and will cuddle up on your knee regularly.
    The boys, 1 is very very shy ( rescued at 1 1/2 and was very sick), another will look for back scratches but wont cuddle, 2 are sweet boys who are extremely friendly and one likes to sit on top of you at any opportunity and demands to be carried around like a baby.

Some will be affectionate and some wont regardless of male or female.

Dont mind the toilet = dangerous to kids/pregnant woman its bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I personally prefer females. I find that females are real homebirds, whereas a male, even if neutered, will tend to be more likely to wander off.
    However, both are equally affectionate, and if you keep your cat solely indoors, once the male is neutered there is no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If you want to generalise I think male cats are more affectionate, I know, of course, it depends on the cat - but in general I think you are more likely to get an affectionate male.

I have 3 males and one female and the female is standoffish in comparison. 3 friends of mine have both male and female cats and they say the same. But they are all:) lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I don't think it makes any difference whether a cat is male or female its all down to it's individual personality.

I have 3 female cats - one would lick you to death, another will only let you pet when it suits her and the last is completely indifferent. I have had male cats in the past and have found each have had their own different personalities.

I'ts all part of cat ownership and makes it all the more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think that all cats have their own unique personalities and quirks. I've had a few female cats but mostly males, all of our cats were strays. I think you should think about which of the cats you felt most drawn to. Well done for going to a rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My female wanders, hunts, is quite confidant and used to be quite independent but within the last year she sticks to my lap like glue, and grooms me like mad if I scratch her itchy spots. She is also obsessed with licking eyebrows...

My male is an annoyingly loveable clingy whiny sweetheart who i wouldn't change for the world. He adores me, but is absolutely terrified of strangers. And his own reflection. And spoons.

I also had both a male and female in the past who were fiercely independent, you'd get an hour a day with them to play and cuddle other than that they were going about their own business and only came when they wanted food.

It's completely down to the personality of the cat, and also in part, to the way they are raised from kitten hood. We used to cradle Cream like a baby when he was a kit, and he still insists on it now.. And we used to sponge him off as he was too little to give himself a good clean, and now he returns the favour by grooming us at every available opportunity...

Just to throw it out there, why not get both? :D 2 cats are great company for each other :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just to throw it out there, why not get both? :D 2 cats are great company for each other :P

Best suggestion on thread. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've had three cats. Two toms and a queen.

Although I loved my girl to pieces, she was so hard to toilet train. I had nightmares with her. The toms? Absolutely no trouble at all. All I had to do was place them in the litter tray, gently rub their paws in it and off they went!

Would love to get another cat (But can't as I live in rented accommodation ATM). When I do, I've decided to get another British SH and definitely it will be a tom. No more queens for me! :D

I've had three cats. Two toms and a queen.

Although I loved my girl to pieces, she was so hard to toilet train. I had nightmares with her. The toms? Absolutely no trouble at all. All I had to do was place them in the litter tray, gently rub their paws in it and off they went!

Would love to get another cat (But can't as I live in rented accommodation ATM). When I do, I've decided to get another British SH and definitely it will be a tom. No more queens for me! :D

Did you get your girl very young? Its so unusual to have toilet issues with a cat unless they are very young.

Also :D what colour BSH have you got? I have a few here, 2 girls and a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you get your girl very young? Its so unusual to have toilet issues with a cat unless they are very young.

Also :D what colour BSH have you got? I have a few here, 2 girls and a boy.

Sadly, all are waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge :( My girl I got from the vet. You could say she was a rescue. Seems she was going to be drowned unless a home was found...Vet told me she was 8 weeks. I think she was six or younger as she was so small, and had real trouble keeping food down (weaned far too early). My BSH was actually a Persian/BSH X but he looked exactly like a BSH. He was all black and a real character. Handsome devil too! :D

............bull you say, check the proven facts, my advise ( which i believe is what this thread is for?? without childish reaction) get another Dog for unconditional love.

Cats love you when you are hungry and that's about it, GET ANOTHER DOG!!!!;)

The op didnt ask if they should get a dog or cat, they are getting a cat and want advise on gender. And cats dont just love when they are hungry. They might do if you only feed them once a day, but in my experience cats are just as loving when they are full.

My God, cat people very defensive, still my advice is, regardless of male or female feline, get a dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rhona39

Jono! wrote: »
    hi
    me and my girlfriend are considering getting a cat. we were out looking at our local cat shelter today just to get a feel and have a look around and of course talk to the guys out there about which cat would be best suited.

we have pretty much narrowed it down to two cats one a male and the other a female, we are going out next week with our dog to see how he gets on with them and to make sure everyone will be happy living together.

now I'm just wondering if there is a preference over having a male or female cat, is one or affectionate then the other? ect. both of course will be neutered/spayed. I've read some things on the internet that say females are more independent and males more affectionate. so just wondering whats your experience? is there really any difference?
    thanks

You should take both cats and neuter,when they are old enough.having two,they are less likely to roam and will keep other company.cats are independant and unlike a dog(who dont cope well,when on their own) cats can.so ideal if you both work.

My God, cat people very defensive, still my advice is, regardless of male or female feline, get a dog!

I reiterate, the op is looking for a cat. So your advise to get a dog isnt really helpful.

I know I said it earlier but if at all possible I would go for the 2 of them. They are still young enough that they would grow up together andmaintain a friendship, and if you are ever out of the house for a long period such as for work, they are brilliant at keeping each other amused. My 2 (a male/female combo) happily spend their time grooming each other or hitting toys around the place, stalking each other, play fighting. They would be truely lost without each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/a_575-Pregnant_Women_Beware_the_Litter_Box___and_the_Garden

dont be so irresponsible :mad:

PucaMama wrote: »

eh, if you have good hygene habits it is not a problem. My cats do not roam and i clean the trays daily while using a scoop and i even wash my hands afterwards!

Teach your kids not to handle it and if you are pregnant use common sense!

Its all scaremongering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

eh, if you have good hygene habits it is not a problem. My cats do not roam and i clean the trays daily while using a scoop and i even wash my hands afterwards!

Teach your kids not to handle it and if you are pregnant use common sense!

Its all scaremongering!

it is not!!!!

its a very real disease. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cats love you when you are hungry and that's about it

Total nonsense.

My Brother's cat jumped up on my lap after he was fed. He just wanted to be comforted the wee softy because he felt lonely.

My Mother's cat insists on getting on her knee every morning for a pet. I fell asleep in the Ma's house and woke up with her cat on my back purring away because she gets lonely at night.

Cats are much more sophisticated than you give them credit for.

it is not!!!!

Yes it is a very real disease. One that you can pick up in your own kitchen not just by handling cat poo. If you are pregnent you can wear gloves while scooping the trays, the same as you would wear gloves if handling raw meat. Its not rocket science. I have yet to hear people saying you can get toxo from your own kitchen while pregnant or from eating fruit that is contaminated.

As i said good hygene habits go a long way!

I have yet to hear of anyone catch toxo from cats litter and I have worked in cat rescue for years, a huge amount of people i know also have cats and a lot of them have kids or have been pregnant at the same time as having cats.

All I am saying is use common sense, worm your cat regularly and dont handle or ingest the cat poo and wash your hands when you do empty the litter tray, wear gloves if you want, wear gloves while garden incase there is buried cat poo and again wash your hands.

"In order for humans to catch the disease, they must make physical contact with something infected by the parasite and then transfer it to their mouth. Most of us touch our mouths with unwashed hands time and time again during the day without even realizing it. Here are some common ways that humans get infected with toxo:

Changing the litter box of an infected cat, then accidentally touching unwashed hands to the mouth.
    Eating unwashed fruits or vegetables grown in contaminated soil or drinking contaminated water. Gardening without gloves, then inadvertently touching unwashed hands to the mouth can transfer soil contaminated by cat feces.
    Eating raw or undercooked meat from infected animals or touching unwashed hands to the mouth after handling uncooked meat. Utensils such as knives, cutting boards and other items can become contaminated by contact with raw meats or their juices. Toxo can live in the flesh of animals that have eaten something contaminated by cat feces. Pigs, lamb and deer are especially vulnerable." taken from the article you linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

it is not!!!!

A real disease yes, but how many people have actually caught it?

Back to topic - the suggestion by a previous poster to get both kittens is a good one. Double the enjoyment and company for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rhona39

It really depends on the cat tbh. We have 9 here, 5 boys and 4 girls.
    one of the girls is the most lovable cat you will ever meet, her daughter likes to be left to her own devises, the other 2 are very afectionate and will cuddle up on your knee regularly.
    The boys, 1 is very very shy ( rescued at 1 1/2 and was very sick), another will look for back scratches but wont cuddle, 2 are sweet boys who are extremely friendly and one likes to sit on top of you at any opportunity and demands to be carried around like a baby.

Some will be affectionate and some wont regardless of male or female.

I love both my cats &dogs,though dogs do give you more love.cats are very clean but,if using litter tray,clean regularly because cats waste is indeed dangerous to pregnant women and children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

All off-topic posts from this point on will incur infractions, no more discussion on anything other than advice as to whether the OP should get a male or female cat (or both).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I have a tom who is the most friendly thing ever,would live on my lap if I let him he loves nothing better he even curls up in a ball and sucks his tail while purrring he is an oddball :D he is neutered and loves being in or out,had a female who was very antisocial lived on the landing as she hated to be downstairs were we were and then ran away.We have a new female super friendly and affectionate spends the night curled up at my feet I think it just depends on the cat try judge how friendly they are when you visit

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jono!

thanks everyone for all the info! really don't think we'll be able to take two, i didn't even want one to start with but i have been swayed, I'm not ready for two!:o

i guess it different with every cat as most people have pointed out, we will just have to spend more time with them next time and try and see which is best for us, i think the gf would be heart broken if the cat was antisocial or not very affectionate.
    thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have six, four males, all desexed pre six months of age, and two females, similarly desexed early.

The boys are all boofheads - without exception they are careful with their claws and love to be cuddled. However they do have very different personalities. One is totally chilled, one will bolt at the slightest provocation. Another will default to hissing when he's startled, the last is an oddbod who squeaks instead of miaows and loves to drink from a running tap.

The girls are definitely different to the boys and very different to each other. One is independent, friendly, gregarious but not too crazy about being stroked or picked up. The other cuddles on the sofa every night, but bites.

Two cats isn't really more work than one cat. If they get along they'll keep each other company and you'll get 45 mins entertainment every evening when they get temporary cat insanity and charge about the house chasing each other. The other good thing is if you go away on holidays, you're more and more likely to be able to get a petsitter for your pets. I feel a lot better leaving my cats to keep each other company when I go away, and a petsitter comes in twice a day, than I would if I was just one cat on its own.

Of course it is more expensive to own more than one cat, but I can tell you that I couldn't cope with six dogs, or even two dogs, but I find my six cats are about the same amount of work as my one dog.

Cats are great if you put time in with them. Mine come when they're called, two of them fetch, three of them do somersaults around the house every evening, four are total lapcats, one drinks out of the tap, one is a clown, two like the dog (the other four tolerate or ignore him). I get huge entertainment out of them. It's ace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have 2 males and 3 females of different ages, and they really don't have any behavioural differences based on gender. All are affectionate, all have their own personalities - for instance the only 2 that don't get along are the oldest female and the youngest male, not what i would have predicted but their personalities just clash.
    Neutering young is important though, it makes for a nicer pet, and bear in mind that males are cheaper to neuter than females.

Advertisement