Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male vs female cat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'm a dog lover, never had cats growing up. Anyway herself decided she was getting a cat a few years ago (we live in an apartment so a dog isn't practical). We now have two female cats (and a baby!) who are polar opposites in terms of personalities, one is quite aloof and the other is a lapcat.. My sister has a Tom and he's very affectionate.

I think it depends on the personality of the animal (this goes for cats and dogs too). Some can be very affectionate while others can be a$$hats, they're a lot like some people I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

I think it really depends on the cat. I find most cats only really show their personality to their owner or once they trust you, so id say its pretty hard to choose at first.

I had a grumpy male cat with tonnes of personality. Wasnt very affectionate but loved company. Only thing that would put me off getting a male again is that we were living in a cul-de-sac where there were other cats. And other males mean competition! so he got in quite a lot of fights with another male...until he became the topcat;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

jmck wrote: »
    Only thing that would put me off getting a male again is that we were living in a cul-de-sac where there were other cats. And other males mean competition! so he got in quite a lot of fights with another male...until he became the topcat;)

my females are attacked by the local tom just as badly as the neutered males. It wouldn't be such a problem if everyone neutered early, or at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

samsx wrote: »
    cats are loveless balls of fur.

I never trust people who 'love' dogs but consider cats to be evil.

Its in cats' nature to hunt, they're carnivores, even more so than dogs. If you can't deal with this than you don't deserve to own one.
    Cats are often nervous because they're very small animals and humans are eight times their size, if you show them love they'll trust you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rhona39

samsx wrote: »
    cats are loveless balls of fur.

Its in cats' nature to hunt, they're carnivores, even more so than dogs. If you can't deal with this than you don't deserve to own one.
    Cats are often nervous because they're very small animals and humans are eight times their size, if you show them love they'll trust you forever.

I think samsx is just joking around and abviously loves dogs more.i think to say you wouldnt trust someone because they dont like cats is harsh.people have preferences when it comes to alot of things inc animals.i myself love most pets but,spiders! Def not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have two fEmales. The older one is almost 10 is completely aloof, doesn't really like to be touched unless its on her terms, every so often she will come up to you and cuddle right up to you.

Second female is a baby literally, loves people, loves cuddles and rarely leaves the house as she prefers to stay inside with us.

I don't that sex makes much of a difference in their temperament, I think they are all different regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

There's a lot of truth in the saying that people who love dogs like to have servants, whereas people who love cats love to have companions.

I don't judge people by which animal they prefer, but I do distrust people who are exclusive about dogs and hate cats. There's just something there which I don't take to.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

Shenshen wrote: »
    There's a lot of truth in the saying that people who love dogs like to have servants, whereas people who love cats love to have companions.

I don't judge people by which animal they prefer, but I do distrust people who are exclusive about dogs and hate cats. There's just something there which I don't take to.

I agree! (sorry if I'm going off topic of the male v female cats) but i get so annoyed when people compare dogs and cats. They're very different animals, cats are more like humans than people think.

If you're sunning yourself on a wall and a stranger comes up to you and starts touching you, what would you do? Or if someone you've never seen in your life comes into your house and plonks down beside you, would you be happy?

I love dogs too, but I dont think people can fully judge a cat unless they've owned one, as that's when you really get to know them.

Advertisement