Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have an Addictive Personality

• 11-08-2012 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

I reckon I have an addictive personality. At the moment I'm totally obsessed with these little beauties - have to have two or three a day!

Almost every night before I go to sleep I have to play Tetris for about half an hour and score over a certain amount before winding down.

When I was younger I had beans on toast every night for about a year!

Y'all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think there's a good bit more OCD in your personality than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a binge personality more than addictive. When I find something I like I binge on it until I hate it. It may look like addiction for a moment in time but it nearly always passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Judging by the fact I have no mates, yes. I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

At the minute im addicted to boards.
    Before that I was addicted to facebook.

Im addicted to Michael Jackson and before that I was addicted to all things grunge.

Im addicted to solitaire now and before that I was addicted to canvas rider.

I chop and change and alternate between addictions every couple of years :L oh and I'm also addicted to smokes but I don't think that qualifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

My particular vice is toblerones. And i'm not talking about the small ones. I'm talking about the medium sized ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I hate when people start telling you they don't drink/smoke or whatever much because they have addictive personalities, especially if its based on anecdotal evidence like 'First year in college I had a chicken fillet roll everyday for lunch, I've such an addictive personality'.

Similarly people who 'have OCD' because they can't leave they're kitchen unless all the chairs are tucked under the table and the crumbs are swept away, thats not OCD, thats being tidy.

My particular vice is toblerones. And i'm not talking about the small ones. I'm talking about the medium sized ones

200g in one sitting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I'm addicted to placing bets on ludicrous things such as intergalactic wars starting in space:pac:

On a serious note no, just the ciggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Definitely. It's not bad when it's Jaffa Cakes or Mini Rolls, or Scampi Fries. Or trad music. But when it's smoking, that's when it becomes a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Forgot that I used to smoke like a chimney. Awful hard addiction to break.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I think there's a good bit more OCD in your personality than anything else

I don't think so. OCD is debilitating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have a binge personality more than addictive. When I find something I like I binge on it until I hate it.

I've been trying that with booze for about 20 years. Still don't hate it.

Any day now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That does sound OCD rather than addictive Chuck.
    I would describe myself more as an all or nothing person although I think binge might in some way be correct. The strongest coffee or none. Workout and good diet with no booze, and if I do decide to treat myself it will be a bottle of whisky. If a book is good I will spend hours reading it until I'm finished. It's do something or don't. Willy nilly BS drives me mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm the exact same with the Tetris, have been for years. I play it almost every night and have to complete 75 lines before I put it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Is addiction not a seperate thing to personality.

And not too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've been trying that with booze for about 20 years. Still don't hate it.

Any day now....
    I go through periods of drinking then I stay off it for months. It's great when I go back drinking again because I can get mangled on 2 or 3 bottles. I'm off the smoke now, my tolerance went too high (and the weed around now is pure muck) so I'm cleaning out the system with alcohol so I can enjoy a spliff again in a month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Martyn1989 wrote: »

Similarly people who 'have OCD' because they can't leave they're kitchen unless all the chairs are tucked under the table and the crumbs are swept away, thats not OCD, thats being tidy.

Thats so true.

I get that a lot from a friend who lives in untidy disorganisation. She gets embarrassed about the state of her place but instead of dealing with it, she digs at me with the OCD jibes because I like my place tidy. I never say anything to her about her place so I don't see why she has to remark on my habits.

Its only OCD if it dominates your routine or your life. Being clean and tidy is seriously underrated. :)

I'm the exact same with the Tetris, have been for years. I play it almost every night and have to complete 75 lines before I put it down

That's actually comforting to hear because it makes it more normal. I had to score more than 30K on my old phone. Got a smart phone a couple of weeks ago and the first app I downloaded was Tetris. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    I go through periods of drinking then I stay off it for months.

No. I liked your first method better so I'm sticking to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Yes definitely,.... maybe,.... not sure.....Possibly no..... but yes defintely. I guess I'm either in denial or undeceive, I think ?......:confused:

I do like what I like though :)

Giselle wrote: »
    Thats so true.

I get that a lot from a friend who lives in untidy disorganisation. She gets embarrassed about the state of her place but instead of dealing with it, she digs at me with the OCD jibes because I like my place tidy. I never say anything to her about her place so I don't see why she has to remark on my habits.

Its only OCD if it dominates your routine or your life. Being clean and tidy is seriously underrated. :)

Your friend is just jumping the gun and answering what she thinks your thoughts are before you say them, whether your going to say them at all. People are always doing stuff like that, they think they know how people will react and make themselves look stupid.

What annoys me the most is these self-diagnosed issues, OCD and addictive personalities are common ones but I do know one middle aged adult very well who is fully convinced they are dyslexic but will not get themselves checked. But when they're can't spell or forget a word out comes the 'I'm dyslexic' spiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I'm addicted to cigarettes. Don't think I have a very addictive personality overall though. There are lots of other things like certain foods/activities I really enjoy but don't take or do them to excess. Just the cigarettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Nope. Anything I like, I can stop doing whenenver I want with no problems.

I usually find something I like and stick with it-music, skateboarding, and decent beer being a few examples.

I usually find something I like and stick with it-music, skateboarding, and decent beer being a few examples.

I was told when I was younger and got passionate about anything, (happened quite regularly) that I had an addictive personality. I have tried a number of different drugs, and went back to them very excited (because I liked the buzz) but a time came that I got bored with the buzz from them. Right now I'm becoming bored with drink and cigs, and if it was anything like weed, or E's and LSD, I be off them before the year is out. Why cause I used to love them now I don't.

Same goes with some musicians and songs, food and pastimes. I use to love them now I don't they have being ditched. Similarly other passions have become more of a force in my life, like walking, filming, films, painting, photography, cooking and (not quite yet a hunger to garden ) these our my new lovers, and may be ditched in the next week/month/year/ or never

So have I got an addictive personality, yes to the things I love.:)

I would think though that was human nature. No????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

its cigarettes and alcohol and rollerblading with myself

its cigarettes and alcohol and rollerblading with myself

"The hardest part about rollerblading is telling your parents you're gay."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

I reckon I have an addictive personality. At the moment I'm totally obsessed with these little beauties - have to have two or three a day!

Almost every night before I go to sleep I have to play Tetris for about half an hour and score over a certain amount before winding down.

When I was younger I had beans on toast every night for about a year!

Y'all?

I know how you feel there my friend, I too have an addictive personality and god knows what else, and while an addictive personality (while not enjoyable to have in the first place) is realatively harmless at times, particulary if we are talking about computer game addiction, tv addiction, etc etc., at the same time such a disorder is downright dangerous when confronted with areas such as the abuse of alcohol and hard drugs. Just be careful.

dttq wrote: »
    I know how you feel there my friend, I too have an addictive personality and god knows what else, and while an addictive personality (while not enjoyable to have in the first place) is realatively harmless at times, particulary if we are talking about computer game addiction, tv addiction, etc etc., at the same time such a disorder is downright dangerous when confronted with areas such as the abuse of alcohol and hard drugs. Just be careful.

What happens when you start living like one of the characters, after watching it back to back for 24 days? That's still not an addictive personality, it's you saying that I like this, and I wan't to do this. That not addiction, I think you are trying to pin everyone with OCD, which would be an addiction personality disorder, where you whole life revolves around you do certain things during the day, some can manage, some can't. (I will leave it their)

Alot of posters seem to think that an addiction is what they like, (it's not)

Alot of people seem to think an addiction personality disorder, (OCD) is because your body is addicted to something, it not you are addicted, and to get over it your body needs to sort it's self out, to feel normal again (it's an addiction)

Why is everyone wanting to use these words and upgrading themselves to feel more important, is all of our lives that unsufferable (or simple) we want to have an incurable illiness. Really ????

Incase no one answers they can have them with my blessing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Food :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Definitely.. Was hopelessly addicted to Minecraft for months and had to get away from it as it was affecting my personal life! Then got wired into DAYZ mod for ARMA 2 so I watched all the episodes of breaking bad in 3 days and then King of Thrones to keep me away from DAYZ Then I went and bought COD MW3 and Battlefield 3 to get some gaming in without destroying my relationship with my girlfriend and family. Sounds a bit mad but I would have four hours sleep and get up and play DAYZ for hours.. I would get angry with anyone that interrupted me while I was playing! Particularly if I had recently died and lost my loot lol.

Kind of why I stayed miles away from WOW as I knew I would be the next person to die from playing non stop for several days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Went on a healthy diet once involving veg soup. Kitchen was overflowing with veg. Took up running a few years ago. Went from nothing to running five days a wk. had to give it up with knee injury. Took up swimming. Could only do half length ... Not up to 80 five days a week. Have to cut back.... Swimmers shoulders. Taking up cycling. It's all or nothing with me... Terrible ring a perfectionist. Hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Sorry about typos... Tired. But can't sleep with the heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

My name is wacker and i'm a wankaholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    What happens when you start living like one of the characters, after watching it back to back for 24 days? That's still not an addictive personality, it's you saying that I like this, and I wan't to do this. That not addiction, I think you are trying to pin everyone with OCD, which would be an addiction personality disorder, where you whole life revolves around you do certain things during the day, some can manage, some can't. (I will leave it their)

Alot of posters seem to think that an addiction is what they like, (it's not)

Alot of people seem to think an addiction personality disorder, (OCD) is because your body is addicted to something, it not you are addicted, and to get over it your body needs to sort it's self out, to feel normal again (it's an addiction)

Why is everyone wanting to use these words and upgrading themselves to feel more important, is all of our lives that unsufferable (or simple) we want to have an incurable illiness. Really ????

Incase no one answers they can have them with my blessing :)

If you are trying to suggest that both drug and alcohol addiction and abuse of each are simply life choices, as opposed to addictive substances physically, particularly for those even more vulnerable to such addictions with psychological/ addictive personality issues..........then cop the **** on................its been proven medically how not only addictive they are for regular, everyday individuals.............but for individuals suffering from depression, addictive personality etc........they are not only 10 times as addictive, but also prey on underlying life problems for those sufferers even more.

Such an ignorant, misunderstanding and un-enlightened post, I only hope you do better in future post wise, and educate yourself further on mental and addiction issues, so that you can see were others are regarding what they are dealing with surrounding personality and addiction issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Substance addiction is quite different to OCD obviously. A non sufferer cannot comprehend OCD, and its fcuking ridiculous if a person thinks that some little oddity they perform relates to them having the condition.

dttq wrote: »
    If you are trying to suggest that both drug and alcohol addiction and abuse of each are simply life choices, as opposed to addictive substances physically, particularly for those even more vulnerable to such addictions with psychological/ addictive personality issues..........then cop the **** on................its been proven medically how not only addictive they are for regular, everyday individuals.............but for individuals suffering from depression, addictive personality etc........they are not only 10 times as addictive, but also prey on underlying life problems for those sufferers even more.

Such an ignorant, misunderstanding and un-enlightened post, I only hope you do better in future post wise, and educate yourself further on mental and addiction issues, so that you can see were others are regarding what they are dealing with surrounding personality and addiction issues.

Please forgive me, but I was pointing out how some people, seem to jump on the band wagon on occasions, and if I avend , you I'm turly sorry, he/she actual offended me, I again apologies if his or my posts offended you, but he was suggesting that addiction was similar to OCD, or an personality disorder, very much as it is assumed me (I) is a GID disorder, as I said to him and you and him he had no right, to diagnosed us, again as I said apologies for making you post that, but I suffer from depression every day and I know what the idea of losing everything you might love, to be yourselve, don't every come down the hammer on me, when you have no idea of me. Please don't

After all I agreed with you.

You should have read my post instead of jumping down my throught, please really actually re re read it, please and thank you, but as I pointed out your not OCD, which is what the OP suggested, you are addicate, so am I, that's not a small thing, but I don't have an addictive personality, I'm addicated to a certain amount of things, some healthy, some not, Like fried food for the last 6 months, cigs and drink, due to what I guessing could be depression, I still don't have an addictive personality, I am an addict to certain things, that make me feel good immediately and will kill me adventually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think everyone has the capacity to become addicted to something. But some seem to be more than others. Its the feelgood chemicals in the brain thats gives you the stimulation and buzz and makes you want coming back for more. Ive been going cold Turkey on irish breakfasts this last while. jesus this porridge stuff makes me narky :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I found a support group for egocentrics but it got me thinking

Whats in it for me?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'm addicted to the buzz off self harm.

I'm pretty sure I'm also addicted to my anti depressants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I also think there's a world of difference between addiction & obsession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Do you have an Addictive Personality??

Hmmm....08:00 on a Sunday morning, takes sip...searches among empty bottles and ripped up Rizla packs for a few fresh skins.....contemplates question.....

Welll ...Yea, I think I might indeed have such a personality....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I know I'm addicted to coffee, cigarettes and the internet. Of the three, I'd probably find it easier to give up cigarettes as I have done in the past, but the coffee and internet usage.. NEVER!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yep me has an addictive personalty,I bet the drinking,smoking one but still have the auld sweet tooth one,its a forever ending story for me.

Advertisement