Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle street Carlow

Options
  • 11-08-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im moving to Carlow town for college in September, I'm going to see a flat on Castle street on monday, just wondering, what the area is like and if anyone knows if there is parking on the road
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Parking would be very very limited, and you are practically slap bang in the middle of the town. So if you are looking for somewhere to study, somewhere secure, I'd look elsewhere.

castle_street.jpg
    Flats here would most likely be upstairs in the buildings on the right, and as you can see parking is next to impossible. Plus, you'll be paying through the nose for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Also there was an issue over noise a while ago, due mainly the smoking?outside area in Lev&Fryes. The tavern was also mentioned but only in relation to people gathering outside. Just something else to bear in mind. As already mentioned parking would be non existant and although there is a car park nearby it is paid and not secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

There's a much bigger noise problem now with the Marquee at the back of O loughlins. Absolutely deafening sound levels which can be heard in all the neighbouring streets. Theres plenty of places to let all over town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Thanks for all the info guys, think ill cancel the appointment in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

There is a block of apartments near Castle Hill on Haymarket. It is Cenetaur House!

they are nice apartments from my experience with friends living there and it has a gated carpark aswell! Although you would be near O'Loughlins and other bars, its not that noisy and you would have a nice view of the park and river depending on what side you were on!

The apartments across from those ones are lovely aswell! I have friends living there also! From what i was told both are lovely to live in and are cheap enough!

Both are near where you originally intended to go aswell!

Good Luck with Finding a house! :)

• Advertisement

There is a block of apartments near Castle Hill on Haymarket. It is Cenetaur House!

they are nice apartments from my experience with friends living there and it has a gated carpark aswell! Although you would be near O'Loughlins and other bars, its not that noisy and you would have a nice view of the park and river depending on what side you were on!

The apartments across from those ones are lovely aswell! I have friends living there also! From what i was told both are lovely to live in and are cheap enough!

thanks for the suggestions Pixie unfortunatly the owners of the cenetaur house apartments wont accept students and the others are a little out of my price range:(

thanks for the suggestions Pixie unfortunatly the owners of the cenetaur house apartments wont accept students and the others are a little out of my price range:(

Oh dear :(

Are you going to the IT or to Pats?

Oh dear :(

Are you going to the IT or to Pats?

The IT, hoping to view a place in castledermot tomorrow and 2 in athy

Ah right! Shame you have to try that far away!

Good Luck with it though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Im from Castledermot so i can help with any questions you might have..

• Advertisement

Im from Castledermot so i can help with any questions you might have..

Big ole castledermot contingent in here now!!! :pac:

Thanks Krusty waiting for the estate agent to get back to me about the one in castledermot, she has to check if the landlord will accept students:)

Thanks Krusty waiting for the estate agent to get back to me about the one in castledermot, she has to check if the landlord will accept students:)

Mind if I ask where in CD is the place??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Don't know if you know Carlow well but castledermot
    And athy are quite far from tue college where parking is limited. Also if your planning on going out in Carlow a taxi will be costly especially to athy

And athy are quite far from tue college where parking is limited. Also if your planning on going out in Carlow a taxi will be costly especially to athy

dont drink so taxis wont be an issue and athy and castledermot are alot closer to carlow then home:D, my course is only 3 days a week but managed to sort out 1 days work experience in athy during the week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah taxi from CD to carlow range from 15-20, it ain't cheap

there must be places on daft.ie in your price range that will accept a student, i've been looking recently and earlier today I had 20-30 tabs open of possible rooms. if you have a car you can even move out a little further from carlow town without neccesarily going as far as castledermot or athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

dont drink so taxis wont be an issue and athy and castledermot are alot closer to carlow then home:D, my course is only 3 days a week but managed to sort out 1 days work experience in athy during the week

Ah perfect then. Athy will be much cheaper than carlow anyway

alproctor wrote: »
    Mind if I ask where in CD is the place??? :)

this is the one
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1143725

yeah taxi from CD to carlow range from 15-20, it ain't cheap

there must be places on daft.ie in your price range that will accept a student, i've been looking recently and earlier today I had 20-30 tabs open of possible rooms. if you have a car you can even move out a little further from carlow town without neccesarily going as far as castledermot or athy.

I'm 25 so have no desire to move in with first years + I have rang alot of the places that have rooms to let and as soon as they hear the word student they say no:(, one girl is to get back to me tomorrow or wendsday when the other house mate comes back from their holidays.

I know it - it's tiny tbh.... But suppose perfect for single person.

• Advertisement

alproctor wrote: »
    I know it - it's tiny tbh.... But suppose perfect for single person.

thanks for the info, guess there is no harming going to see it anyway, my boyfriend has an interview in Merck on friday so might try and see it then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh.. i was going to pm you earlier actually but looked/stalked through your post history and saw you posting in C&H so figured you were only a baby yourself
    it actually is pretty hard when you have to avoid all the "student friendly" places, i need a largeish room for my desk/computer but all normal apartments are for yuppie laptop uses professionals and just don't suit the modern urban nerd.

if the room im looking at tomorrow doesn't suit me I'll fire off a pm, if the place in CD doesn't work out mebbe we can find a cheapish 2bed place

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Both of those blocks get the full brunt of the noise from O locks unless you're lucky enough to be at the back. NB the noise is only on weekends. My advice is stay with a friend or commute for a few days to get a feel for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Stop telling them you're a student! Especially in Athy and CD where there are 0 students!

Advertisement