Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of knocking trees?

Options
  • 11-08-2012 8:32pm

i have a very small back yard/garden which is totally overtaken by two very tall trees.

i guess they are about 20 foot or so? not great with measurements but they are around the height of the house.

how much would i be looking at to get someone to cut them down? what should i ask for? do i need to get them to cut the roots out or what happens there?
    would like to have some idea before i get quotes so i look like i know what im talking about!

Comments

does anyone have a rough estimate for this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a dublin bus double decker is about fourteen and a half foot; is the house double or single storey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Guys that do this work are called tree surgeons.

a dublin bus double decker is about fourteen and a half foot; is the house double or single storey?

yea its a two storey house. so bit taller than the bus i suppose.

yes doolox i know what a tree surgeon is, i just wanted a general idea of prices before i get quotes.
    believe it or not some people take advantage of women living alone that dont know how much things cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is going to be quite expensive - they will have to have a team at it. One will go up and cut branches which have to be lowered, cut up and got out of the garden - is there any access to the area? Then the trunk will be taken down in sections. Its a slow enough job and requires several people.

Your best bet would be to get a couple of quotes. What you need to be looking for is evidence of insurance, evidence that they have proper equipment, evidence that they use safe methods of taking the trees down. Photos of recent jobs would be good for the last two points. Ask for a written quote. Check that they are including removing the timber (unless you want it, but if they just walk away you will have to get it cut up)

If they are not prepared to give any of the above they are probably chancers who don't take proper precautions. So if a branch comes down and damages your property or a wall between you and neighbours, it will be your cost to get it fixed. If one of them injures himself or someone else it will be you that will pay, either through your house insurance or personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Bubblypop, what part of the country do you live

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of trees are they? evergreens, or deciduous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

looksee wrote: »
    It is going to be quite expensive - they will have to have a team at it. One will go up and cut branches which have to be lowered, cut up and got out of the garden - is there any access to the area? Then the trunk will be taken down in sections. Its a slow enough job and requires several people.
    not necessarly, a 20 ft birch tree is very different to say a 20 ft horse chestnut or sycamore

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

rje66 wrote: »
    not necessarly, a 20 ft birch tree is very different to say a 20 ft horse chestnut or sycamore

Well true, but I was going on the phrase 'which is totally overtaken by two very tall trees'. I have a 20-ish ft birch in the garden and right enough you could take it out with a hand saw.

Advertisement