Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging Devices

• 11-08-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,
    Have two chargers for two different devices that seem pretty similar. One is 5v output at 600mA and the other is 4.8-5.5v and 800mAH. Would I be able to use them interchangeably or would the device/battery I'm charging be harmed if I don't use the right one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What are the devices ? Are the plugs micro USB by any chance ?

From the info you've posted I'd be happy to interchange them if the plugs were both USB, anything else and you'd need to confirm polarity.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭PhotogTom

Yes, both micro USB. Thanks.

That said though, the 800mA charger will be ok for the device that normally takes the 600mA one. Vise-versa I wouldn't be too sure about. The device using the 800mA charger would probably draw too much current from the 600mA charger so not a good idea that way round. So you could use the 800mA charger to charge either device I'd say.

Ken

What would be the issue I should be concerned about?

Using the 600mA charger on the 800mA device could pull more current than the charger is capable of supplying. This could cause it to overheat and may cause damage to the device it's connected to.

Ken

• Advertisement

Ouch I sort of figured the heat but wasn't sure about the damage. Thanks

Advertisement