Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Economics with Re and Economics

• 11-08-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

[QUOTE=Anyusername
    Hi,     I'm researching this as an option for career.
    I'm thinking that Home Ec with RE would be fairly common.
    If I was to do Home Ec with Economics, would I also be qualified to teach Business.? I understand from other posters that it Economics is sometimes called consumer studies so not sure if that makes a diff.

I would rather do ok of these options as opposed to Irish or Biology.

Would love to hear from teachers, Home Ec teachers or ppl considering this course

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

I think RE would be a better choice than Economics. If you chose Econimics as your second subject you will be qualified to teach Junior Business. If you look at what subject combinations are advertised it is mainly HE with RE or Science/Biology. There are a huge number of Business Studies teachers out there so there isn't a huge demand in that area. However if I can give you one piece of advise it would be 'make sure you have a good interest in your second subject because you may end up with a lot of it on your timetable'!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Cat82 wrote: »
    However if I can give you one piece of advise it would be 'make sure you have a good interest in your second subject because you may end up with a lot of it on your timetable'!!!!

Good advice. However, you should realise that Economics is very much a minority subject, whereas RE is taught in some shape or form in every school in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Thanks guys, just wondering do you need to be of Catholic denomination to teach RE?

Going to call St. Angela's on Monday but just wondering if anyone knew in the meantime.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks guys, just wondering do you need to be of Catholic denomination to teach RE?

Going to call St. Angela's on Monday but just wondering if anyone knew in the meantime.

Thanks again.

I would certainly hope not. It should be Catholic Education if you had to be one of those.
    I know many atheists who teach RE. They just see it as an interesting topic, they're not particularly religious themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

[QUOTE=Anyusername
    Hi,     I'm researching this as an option for career.
    I'm thinking that Home Ec with RE would be fairly common.
    If I was to do Home Ec with Economics, would I also be qualified to teach Business.? I understand from other posters that it Economics is sometimes called consumer studies so not sure if that makes a diff.

I would rather do ok of these options as opposed to Irish or Biology.

Would love to hear from teachers, Home Ec teachers or ppl considering this course

Thanks in advance

I did home ec and economics. When I went to college you picked your elective when you arrived in September so many people chopped and changed. From my experience a lot of people left Irish as the workload with home ec was a lot. (I have heard the biology workload is insane.) Economics and religion were the most popular. Some of my friends did religion, found lectures torture but loved teaching it on teaching practice. I loved the fact with economics the answer is right or wrong where religion was a lot of essays (it reminded me a bit like leaving cert English). A lot of business teachers are not qualified in to teach economics as it depends on their degree. My principal always tries to give me economics but I have too much home ec. I am the only one of my friends who has ever taught my elective. But i suppose we got out of college just in the nick of time! I wouldn't get bogged down too much in your elective choice, if you want to be a home ec teacher put them ALL
    down. St Angela's always tell you on their open days that you will not be allowed to switch elective (this is not true!). I think they say this as a lot of people want biology which is the highest points! Home ec will make up four days in college and elective one. Have a look on st Angela's website at the programme overview for their electives
    Religion
    http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/departments/course_details.php?id=AS002&&ver=en&no_redirect=true
    Economics
    http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/departments/course_details.php?id=AS004&&ver=en&no_redirect=true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks again.

To teach the subject for exam, no.

As to a non-Catholic teaching non-exam Religion in a Catholic school, well then the priests/nuns 'could' play their loophole from our so called equality legislation, which means it is OK and perfectly legal for them to discriminate on the grounds of religion (or a number of other grounds) where it would adversely affect their 'ethos'.

It's Section 37.1 and the sooner we are rid of it from our lawbooks the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i would go for the economics because then you have 2 exam subjects i.e. HE and BS. RE can always be given to you if its non exam in the school whereas they can't give BS to you if not qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i did home ec with economics.i feel you should choose what subject you like the most.from job searching religion followed by biology are most popular combinations with home ec.ive never seen homeec with economics.irish is difficult but very useful second subject to have if you like it.i havent taught economics outside of teaching practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ohhhhhhhhhh, now irish will get you a job very quickly though HE should at the moment also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TheDriver wrote: »
    ohhhhhhhhhh, now irish will get you a job very quickly though HE should at the moment also.

I'd agree. We have three home economics teachers in my school (don't ask, we don't need three) and their combinations are

1. HE and Biology
    2. HE and Economics
    3. HE and Irish

The first one is permanent has a full timetable of HE and occasionally gets some JC Science or Religion as she also has Religion qualification. The second one has one or two classes of HE, the overspill that the first teacher can't fit on her timetable but the rest is CSPE/SPHE type stuff. We don't offer Economics in my school, have no plans to do so in the future and there are just enough Business hours in my school for one Business teacher. The third does not have any HE on her timetable, she teaches all Irish, would like a combination, but has realised that in terms of getting a CID that it's the Irish that will get it for her.

Bottom line, study what you like because otherwise you could have a very long career teaching a subject you don't like but if you choose Economics as a subject be prepared to have your options limited as there are so few Economics jobs and so many qualified teachers through Business degrees.

Also I would imagine that 99% of people taking that degree go into with the the objective of teaching Home Ec. Be prepared to take on a job in your other subject with no home ec on your timetable like our Irish teacher, i.e. don't just see yourself as a home ec teacher that happens to have another subject, view yourself as a home ec and ........ teacher.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »

I'd agree. We have three home economics teachers in my school (don't ask, we don't need three) and their combinations are

1. HE and Biology
    2. HE and Economics
    3. HE and Irish

The first one is permanent has a full timetable of HE and occasionally gets some JC Science or Religion as she also has Religion qualification. The second one has one or two classes of HE, the overspill that the first teacher can't fit on her timetable but the rest is CSPE/SPHE type stuff. We don't offer Economics in my school, have no plans to do so in the future and there are just enough Business hours in my school for one Business teacher. The third does not have any HE on her timetable, she teaches all Irish, would like a combination, but has realised that in terms of getting a CID that it's the Irish that will get it for her.

Bottom line, study what you like because otherwise you could have a very long career teaching a subject you don't like but if you choose Economics as a subject be prepared to have your options limited as there are so few Economics jobs and so many qualified teachers through Business degrees.

Also I would imagine that 99% of people taking that degree go into with the the objective of teaching Home Ec. Be prepared to take on a job in your other subject with no home ec on your timetable like our Irish teacher, i.e. don't just see yourself as a home ec teacher that happens to have another subject, view yourself as a home ec and ........ teacher.

Yes you will get an full time Irish job no problem. But this is completely the wrong course to do if you are happy to teach your elective full time. The work load is insane you will be treated like a child and they are known to fail people based on your personality. Anyone who has done the course will agree it is shocking! Now I know people will say a job is a job and the economy etc but seriously a lot of people are scared for life after doing the course! A girl I went to college with got "in trouble" from the president for wearing a denim
    Mini skirt and lots of fake tan to college! You have more independence in secondary school! If you want to teach Irish full time do an arts degree and enjoy your college life!

Thanks guys for the advice.
    Just have another question, if say there was a job advertised for Home Economics teacher with RE but you have studied Economics, can you apply for this job?

Also if I don't get the points for St. Angela's is there any back door entry?
    Degree and then post grad or anything. From what I can see I think Angela's is the only option?
    I am applying as a mature student so have that option too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Millem wrote: »
    Yes you will get an full time Irish job no problem. But this is completely the wrong course to do if you are happy to teach your elective full time. The work load is insane you will be treated like a child and they are known to fail people based on your personality. Anyone who has done the course will agree it is shocking! Now I know people will say a job is a job and the economy etc but seriously a lot of people are scared for life after doing the course! A girl I went to college with got "in trouble" from the president for wearing a denim
    Mini skirt and lots of fake tan to college! You have more independence in secondary school! If you want to teach Irish full time do an arts degree and enjoy your college life!

Oh I would agree, but given the job situation at the moment, a job in the subject elective area is better than no job and would give a teacher a foothold in a school while looking for a better subject combination. The Irish/Home Ec teacher in my school had considered leaving at the end of the year to look for a home ec job but then realised how crazy it was to give up a relatively secure job for subbing/maternity work when home ec hours may open up for her in the future or getting a few years experience might give her a better chance at going for a home ec job elsewhere in the future.

Home Ec teachers always seemed to be in demand , but there are less jobs on the ground overall these days.

Just have another question, if say there was a job advertised for Home Economics teacher with RE but you have studied Economics, can you apply for this job?

Degree and then post grad or anything. From what I can see I think Angela's is the only option?

Unfortunately there is no back door entry, St Angela's is the only option I am afraid! I When I left college I applied for everything and even got offered a home ec and science job! (which was obviously meant for a home ec and biology graduate!) now the job front is different. It was so hard to get in as a mature student (in my day) that any "mature students" ended up just applying through cao with their points as they were unsuccessful. I remember they had 2 places every year for mature students but from my four years no one ever managed to get in! Maybe this has all changed? I think they made you do some sort of sewing test, which was a joke as no none of us who got in through cao had any sewing skills! I am sorry to sound so negative about the place, but it is a complete culture shock. We started off with 26 in my year and by June we were down to 20! Even this year I had a 1st year student who was doing teaching practice in a neighbouring school come to me in floods of tears do the crazy unreasonable behaviour still exists! It is a great career,I love my job and I am glad that I did the course but I came from a country small
    convent schoolow ehere I never had any freedom so I just kind of blended in and I did what I was told, some of my friends suffered total discrimination throughout their 4 years. So my advice is if you want to be a home ec teacher do it, if you want to be a business, biology, Irish or religion go and do a degree and PGDE!

Thanks, def want to do Home Economics teaching so be St. Angela's for me hopefully. I understand the place has a negative rep but at least after 4 years, I will be qualified.

Thanks, def want to do Home Economics teaching so be St. Angela's for me hopefully. I understand the place has a negative rep but at least after 4 years, I will be qualified.

Absolutely and that's what you need to keep telling yourself! It is so funny when myself and my friends look back on it now we are like, how did they get away with that? If you were "sick" the lecturers would actually come up to your room to make sure you were actually sick! If you missed any lectures a letter was sent home addressed to your parents!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Absolutely and that's what you need to keep telling yourself! It is so funny when myself and my friends look back on it now we are like, how did they get away with that? If you were "sick" the lecturers would actually come up to your room to make sure you were actually sick! If you missed any lectures a letter was sent home addressed to your parents!!!

wow i was in st catherines and i thought that was bad but by sounds of it angelas is a whole other level of crazy,sending letters to parents is so choldish,god forbid youd have a life while at college

wow i was in st catherines and i thought that was bad but by sounds of it angelas is a whole other level of crazy,sending letters to parents is so choldish,god forbid youd have a life while at college

Small garden that was st Catherine's! I remember the student council going nuts about the letters getting sent home! I met the lovely student welfare officer recently and we had a laugh about it. She was treated so badly in that place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kds24

There is a "back door" into angela's - they have an access course ( http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/departments/course_details.php?id=IET11&&ver=en ). Very few people know about it, but handy to know if you don't think you'll get the points

kds24 wrote: »
    There is a "back door" into angela's - they have an access course ( http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/departments/course_details.php?id=IET11&&ver=en ). Very few people know about it, but handy to know if you don't think you'll get the points

Lots of terms and conditions like you have to live in (or have lived in) BMW regions and have suffered educational, social or economic disadvantage. They are also part of the HEAR and DARE scheme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement