Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree ID

Options
  • 11-08-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi, thought this would be a good place to ask. Iv a 'tree' growing out my back and iv been looking through tree id charte etc and cant seem to find what type of tree it is. At the moment its about 15-17ft tall.

It blooms with small dark purple flowers and afterwards the pigeons seem to like eating whatever seeds it has.

Photos should e attached. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I reckon it's Lilac, It flowers around May and there is a wonderful scent from the flowers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringa

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yes a lovely plant, i used to have a lovelyone in my garden in london but when i treid one here it just sat there for years, it has just started to grow and ive forgotten the exact colour of the flowers for this one so theres a suprise waitnig for me down the line, some year soon I hope. With lilac its a good idea to prune off the flower heads when finished flowering as they look very scrappy and i believe that the effort the plant would put into seed production would be better used in other parts of the plant, kinda like bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

If you are pruning Lilac to keep the size in check then do it straight away when the flowers have finished as it sets flower buds right away for next year.

http://gardening.about.com/od/pruning/a/Pruning_Lilacs.htm

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

coolemon wrote: »
    Hi, thought this would be a good place to ask. Iv a 'tree' growing out my back and iv been looking through tree id charte etc and cant seem to find what type of tree it is. At the moment its about 15-17ft tall.

It blooms with small dark purple flowers and afterwards the pigeons seem to like eating whatever seeds it has.

Photos should e attached. Thanks for the help.

It's a Lilac all right, I'd see a doctor if I were you :p

Advertisement