Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I pull this damn tooth out myself?

• 11-08-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Okay I broke my tooth in half 6months ago. I got a filling when it happened and its been fine. Last week the filling fell out and fùck do I have a tooth ache. I took pain killers but they barely take the edge off it. Rang 4 dentists here on Friday and they all said 2-3 weeks before they can see me. This tooth is driving me mental, will I pull it out myself? I would rather the pain for a few mins of taking it out than a week or more of it sitting in me skull. Whats the best method? Should I do it? How do I stop infection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Okay I broke my tooth in half 6months ago. I got a filling when it happened and its been fine. Last week the filling fell out and fùck do I have a tooth ache. I took pain killers but they barely take the edge off it. Rang 4 dentists here on Friday and they all said 2-3 weeks before they can see me. This tooth is driving me mental, will I pull it out myself? I would rather the pain for a few mins of taking it out than a week or more of it sitting in me skull. Whats the best method? Should I do it? How do I stop infection?
    Make sure to video the extraction properly, with good lighting. I love that sh1t!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Yes. Do it. Absolutely nothing could go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

if you're in derry, your local PCT should be able to tell you where you can be seen in an emergency, and you'll probably be able to be seen tomorrow or definitely monday.

AH answer, hit your face repeatedly with a brick until it breaks out of your jaw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

no don't. adult molar teeth are about an inch embedded into your jaw. you will not be able to do it without anestethic, you'll give up 1/4 of the way through due to the pain. it will get infected which can have massive repercussions, you can die from it.

did you ring the dental hospital in dublin beside tcd saying it's an emergency.

take paracetamol and codeine in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

tie some fishing line around it and jump from a chair, whats the worse that could happen.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

if you're in derry, your local PCT should be able to tell you where you can be seen in an emergency, and you'll probably be able to be seen tomorrow or definitely monday.

AH answer, hit your face repeatedly with a brick until it breaks out of your jaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I wouldnt. I had a filling years ago, it fell out when I was abroad. Was in so much pain it was unreal.

Went in to get it taken out and was told there was an abscess in the tooth.

If I were you id get some anbesol, i was using it every 5 minutes, really worked (for those 5 minutes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

You have an exposed nerve? I know the feeling . . .

Don't pull it yourself, wait until you get to the dentist. You need a strong medication for that kind of pain that can only be gotten over the counter. Go in and speak with your pharmicist and explain the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Where abouts are you located?
    You'll be bound to get someone by Monday if it's that much of an issue.

And try whiskey! A classic Irish cure.

But please don't even try to remove it, you will regret it.

But since this is AH: do it, and let the English see you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe ask on boards.ni

did I just go there? yes I did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Wee drop a Jameson!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

sounds like an abscess, have you got any antibiotics?

take a few it will relive the infection and pain until you get some proper medical attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

get solpadiene plus, I ordered some from the UK when I had a horrible toothache and it was amazing.

Or you know, fishing wire tied to a doorknob seems to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I should ask a PCT about it, sure they should give me one of those emergency appointments, its blood unbearable! Someone I know suggested putting clove oil on it, I will some tomorrow and ask a chemist/see my GP. Meanwhile I only have paracetamol, its barely made a difference all day.

1. knock out the teeth either side of it, this should give you plenty of room.

2. a snooker ball in a sock swung at your face should knock the tooth out out or yourself out

3. the beauty of the 'snooker ball in sock' is if you knock yourself out , you should end up in A and E and 'voila' ... treatment, both casualty and psychiatric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Did you not stress to the dentists it is an emergency? Any decent dentist should see you immediately if you ring up and say you're in pain.

Given it's Saturday night though you could be in trouble. Don't do anything yourself for a start, you could break what's left of the tooth and make a worse mess. If in agony try your A&E. Bar that, I'd go with the whiskey as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Clove Oil on a cotton bud is good for toothache i found but need to get to a dentist asap. Anytime i rang my dentist for an appointment it was usually in a day or too so i find it really unusual that you could not get a dentist in 2 - 3 weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

mattjack wrote: »
    1. knock out the teeth either side of it, this should give you plenty of room.

2. a snooker ball in a sock swung at your face should knock the tooth out out or yourself out

3. the beauty of the 'snooker ball in sock' is if you knock yourself out , you should end up in A and E and 'voila' ... treatment, both casualty and psychiatric.

Also, don't take any of Matt's advice, he may sound well meaning but he generally has an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Pull all your teeth out op. You'll only have to get them out later in life anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I should ask a PCT about it, sure they should give me one of those emergency appointments, its blood unbearable! Someone I know suggested putting clove oil on it, I will some tomorrow and ask a chemist/see my GP. Meanwhile I only have paracetamol, its barely made a difference all day.

Where in derry are you? I had a tooth that needed to be extracted and got the run around from dentists, suddenly when I agreed to go as a private patient the world was my oyster! Emergency appointment cost £80 but I was seen to at 5 that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

johndoe99 wrote: »
    tie some fishing line around it and jump from a chair, whats the worse that could happen.:D

How would that help? :confused:

Chucken wrote: »
    How would that help? :confused:

:pac: hopefully our patient would fall on his face and knock out the tooth , maybe break his nose too.

GAAman: I am in the cityside. I am 16, so I should be getting this for free anyway. Any of the people on the phone did not take me that seriously. I told them it was bloody killing me. My brother rang a few places around Derry after to double check. I might just land down at my dentist on Monday and not leave till this is damn things torn out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Do what this kid did.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Seen a fella knock out a tooth once with an ice skate and a rock somewhere, it worked for him. Do you have ice skates??

More seriously, Down here in Cork you could just pop into the dental hospital any weekday or A&E on the weekends, done it a few times over the years for my teeth, surely a city like Derry should be similar.
    GAAman: I am in the cityside.
    How about wrapping a tri-colour around yourself and taking a stroll over the bridge, or is that not an option up there any more for tooth removal, peace process and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

If you are in that much pain goto A&E at you local hospital, bit unfortunate it is a saturday night. I would advise you dont try remove it yourself, you could easly cause life changing injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

GAAman: I am in the cityside. I am 16, so I should be getting this for free anyway. Any of the people on the phone did not take me that seriously. I told them it was bloody killing me. My brother rang a few places around Derry after to double check. I might just land down at my dentist on Monday and not leave till this is damn things torn out.

Ah right, well just for info's sake I got Quayside Dental Care to sort me out in case you don't get sorted out at your own dentist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

It sounds like an abscess to me, and Im pretty sure they can kill you cant they?

I honestly havent a clue if thats true and im too lazy to google it but Im sure someone will tell me Im wrong fairly sharpish

GAAman wrote: »
    Where in derry are you? I had a tooth that needed to be extracted and got the run around from dentists, suddenly when I agreed to go as a private patient the world was my oyster! Emergency appointment cost £80 but I was seen to at 5 that day

if you haven't been to a dentist in a while, then under the NHS they have no obligation to see you. the NHS dentist will favour their regular patients unless you want to go privately when they'd obviously make more on it.
    that's why you should ring your local PCT and find out what dentist is able to see you. when you ring that dentist, you have to tell them the PCT told you to call.
    in the meantime. call your local hospital and see if they know of an emergency dentist open tomorrow. they may have one based there but only during certain hours.

• Advertisement

Seeing as we're giving medical advice , can we give legal advice too ?

Quayside, not even sure if I called them, but I will keep them in mind. If its still as bad on Sunday I might go down to the hospital. I have a heart condition so the hospital dentists be all over ya, hopefully they will do something, or I will wait till Monday. Clove oil to be got tomorrow. No whiskey, a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I had an upper molar extracted on wednesday WITHOUT anesthetic....

All i can say is epic fail on my part, trying to be the hard man, not good...It was horrible, i felt the root sliding down in my cheek ugghhh.

If you show up at a dentists randomly saying you are in agony you will be seen there and then.

Just make sure you get the injection lol

Seeing as we're giving medical advice , can we give legal advice too ?

Sure! But anything you say will be held against you :pac:

italodisco wrote: »
    I had an upper molar extracted on wednesday WITHOUT anesthetic....

All i can say is epic fail on my part, trying to be the hard man, not good...It was horrible, i felt the root sliding down in my cheek ugghhh.

If you show up at a dentists randomly saying you are in agony you will be seen there and then.

Just make sure you get the injection lol

not on the NHS, they've no obligation to if he hasn't been there before, or hasn't been at his own dentist for 15 months.
    i wouldn't advise turning up anywhere out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Killer_Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Quayside, not even sure if I called them, but I will keep them in mind. If its still as bad on Sunday I might go down to the hospital. I have a heart condition so the hospital dentists be all over ya, hopefully they will do something, or I will wait till Monday. Clove oil to be got tomorrow. No whiskey, a shame.
    If you have nothing else, a very warm and very salty water rinse can help if it's an infection.

Someone say something about abcess being while dangerous? What? Italodisco- that sounds awful, I will expect some sorta injection when I am seen. I will just go down to my local dentist on Monday morning and bloody cry if I have to. Though is this more serious than I think? (I cant quote people when using my phone for some reason) ballsymchugh, I was at my own dentist 6months ago to get this tooth filled, so I have been recentlyish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Put some toothpaste on your finger and apply to the tooth. It will supress the pain. You'll need to do this every hour or so, so expect a sleepless night - Whiskey also works, by applying directly to the area. Drinking it doesn't work.

In Dublin we have a dental hospital which will see emergencies, maybe there's one up in your neck of the woods too?

Cú Giobach, I have been using salty warm water like a mouth wash since the filling first fell out.

Someone say something about abcess being while dangerous? What? Italodisco- that sounds awful, I will expect some sorta injection when I am seen. I will just go down to my local dentist on Monday morning and bloody cry if I have to. Though is this more serious than I think? (I cant quote people when using my phone for some reason) ballsymchugh, I was at my own dentist 6months ago to get this tooth filled, so I have been recentlyish.

then they should see you on monday.

• Advertisement

A disgrace - my friend suggested that tooth paste idea, I nearly screamed when I touched my tooth, I think its a pure bear nerve or something, doing anything to it is hell. On dental hospitals, honestly not sure, off to google with me.

Ballsymchugh- they said they had no room. I will still call on Monday and explain its in a while state, then go down myself.

Ballsymchugh- they said they had no room. I will still call on Monday and explain its in a while state, then go down myself.

if it's NHS, they should, or they should be able to tell you where can be seen within 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Get neurofen plus, Its the best for tooth pain, I used to work in a dental practice and the dentist used to always tell people to get that for after surgery.

They always take in emergencies, call in first thing Monday morning !

Otherwise I can try pull it for you ? I worked reception in the dental practice, surely I can do a simple extraction!

michellie wrote: »
    !

Otherwise I can try pull it for you ? I worked reception in the dental practice, surely I can do a simple extraction!

I worked in an airport once, I'm sure I could fly you to him.

I flew a few times......I'm Batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

let me pull it out. Trust me, I know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Right Pensivepusca.

Im here to save the DAY.

Altnagelvin have a emergency dental department, Ive had to go before for an abscess - They are AGONY and can be dangerous alright. So dont touch.

They should see you tomorrow.

OR my dentist Smiths in Gt James St - if you turn up tomorrow morning 9 am one of the dentists (likely Peter the owner) will see you if youre in alot of pain.

Try and get your hands on tramadol - that was the only thing that helped me one god awful night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

michellie wrote: »
    !

That would be handy cos I'm in Waterford, see you in the airport in 30 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i knew a man who tried everything to kill the pain of his tooth rather than pay to get it out, well he said he was scared of them but i know myself he just wanted to spend it on drink every tuesday. his last method to try and kill the pain was wiring it up to a car battery! he had tried petrol prior to this. he did get it out eventually when someone told him the medical card covered it, he wasn't aware of it at the time. True story.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement