Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Masters in HRM- mature student

Options
  • 11-08-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, this is my 1st ever post to boards im looking for some advice! :)

Im 37 so a mature student.
    I applied for masters programme in Human resource managment in UL 2 weeks ago and i have an interview on tuesday with the course director. Ive wanted to return to education for a while now, i was made redundant in June so think maybe the time is right now to try do something. But Im dreading the interview and the hard work ahead if i successfully get a place. Reality and nerves setting in!!!

I applied for the masters without having basic degree, they are looking at my work history as professional experience to get me onto the course so i need the interview to go well. I only have a diploma but have 7 years direct HR role with wealth of practical experiance.

Has anyone gone through similiar intervies process for this type of masters? what would they ask and what should i be prepared for!!

Im starting to question myself now and if i should have thought more into the programme before jumping into applying? Maybe it is good that i didnt as i probably wouldnt have the courage to put myself through the hard slog if i thought about it too much!!!
    Should i have thought about the thesis, and about what topic base it on. has anyone any suggestions on what to do thesis on?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MaryMak39

Well done for going back to college at 37. I know how hard it can be - my brother (39) just graduated with a 1.1 degree and found it so difficult but all his hard work got him there. Go for the interview there are two ways it will go - you will either get it or you wont. If you have 7 years HR experience that is brilliant and to be honest I would say that will get it for you. Just do your best in your interview what is meant for you will be. Also do some research about the course before you go in and you will be fine. Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

mrsmack wrote: »
    Hi, this is my 1st ever post to boards im looking for some advice! :)

Im 37 so a mature student.
    I applied for masters programme in Human resource managment in UL 2 weeks ago and i have an interview on tuesday with the course director. Ive wanted to return to education for a while now, i was made redundant in June so think maybe the time is right now to try do something. But Im dreading the interview and the hard work ahead if i successfully get a place. Reality and nerves setting in!!!

I applied for the masters without having basic degree, they are looking at my work history as professional experience to get me onto the course so i need the interview to go well. I only have a diploma but have 7 years direct HR role with wealth of practical experiance.

Has anyone gone through similiar intervies process for this type of masters? what would they ask and what should i be prepared for!!

Im starting to question myself now and if i should have thought more into the programme before jumping into applying? Maybe it is good that i didnt as i probably wouldnt have the courage to put myself through the hard slog if i thought about it too much!!!
    Should i have thought about the thesis, and about what topic base it on. has anyone any suggestions on what to do thesis on?

Thanks in advance :D

It's worth bearing in mind that UCC also do a part time Masters in HRM. Unemployed people are also entitled to 25% off the course fees. And applications are still being accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Did you get the masters? I'm interested in it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrsmack

Did you get the masters? I'm interested in it myself.

Hi munsterman, I met wih course director In August and decided that direct entry into fourth year degree was the way to go for me. So I'm currently in the middle of my assignments and really enjoying the course far. I'm not sure if I mentioned in my original post that I had only previously got to diploma level.

Have u the degree done??

Advertisement