Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox iPhone tether

Options
  • 11-08-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi. I have net flix. It's works perfectly on Xbox but, I use my personal hotspot on iPhone , to watch net flix on iPad no problem .. No buffering etc... Also no prob on computer .. With personal hotspot... Any idea , how to connect the Xbox flix .. To the iPhone hot spot? It's not finding it when I search on Xbox .. But it is finding the mobile broadband ok.. Thks for your help
    Claire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Hi. I have net flix. It's works perfectly on Xbox but, I use my personal hotspot on iPhone , to watch net flix on iPad no problem .. No buffering etc... Also no prob on computer .. With personal hotspot... Any idea , how to connect the Xbox flix .. To the iPhone hot spot? It's not finding it when I search on Xbox .. But it is finding the mobile broadband ok.. Thks for your help
    Claire

I've never tried tethering with an iphone but I imagine it would be possible if you connected your iphone to a laptop or PC and the ran an ethernet/lan cable from the xbox to the laptop/PC. Just make sure the laptop/PC is set up to allow other devices to use it's onternet connection. There's plenty of thread explaining how to do the last part.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

No you shouldn't need to connect it to a pc, personal hotspot should work. I'll give it a try and see if it works on mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 navanclaire

thats great , if you have any luck you might PM me , i dont want to go to the bother of laptops/ethernet cablers etc etc

thks

C

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Macabre

It Doesn't work .

I assume your with the three network ?

It is disabled on purpose by the network as the allowance is unlimited , if it where not disabled they would be undercutting there own broadband dongle market.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'm sure it is possible but never tried it... connecting the phone to a laptop/pc then running a cable might work but 3 hate tethering and have it frowned upon quite a bit...

asfaik even with 3's "unlimited" data plans it's about 15gb for some packages

• Advertisement

Thks I have 3 pre pay iPhone and if you have contract prior to jan this year there is absolutely no limit whatsoever on tether... It is an add on from jan on. I use net flix and use it for google on laptop and iPad all the time and never got more than the standard bill. Pith about Xbox ! Still have it other devices .... It's great ! Thks for advice tho

Macabre wrote: »
    It Doesn't work .

I assume your with the three network ?

It is disabled on purpose by the network as the allowance is unlimited , if it where not disabled they would be undercutting there own broadband dongle market.

Hope this helps

Correct. !! 3 ... Thks

Your very welcome !

Helps when you work for the network :>

-=al=- wrote: »
    I'm sure it is possible but never tried it... connecting the phone to a laptop/pc then running a cable might work but 3 hate tethering and have it frowned upon quite a bit...

asfaik even with 3's "unlimited" data plans it's about 15gb for some packages

Correct , it is 15gb but you don't get cut off for hitting this limit . You would get a slight restriction on your speed but that's it .

No-one has ever been cut off for going over the mobile net usage

Not possible by conventional means as its flat out disabled on the handset with a 3 sim installed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah I'm sure you'd get throttled or something I've never tried it

I've had 3 mobile "broadband" and got charged a few quid for going over the limit, but not sure how the mobile area works

But yep pretty sure all phone networks hate tethering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What security settings are you picking on the iphone?
    Ensure it's WEP/WPA as the xbox doesn't support wpa2 from what I can recall.

Blazer wrote: »
    What security settings are you picking on the iphone?
    Ensure it's WEP/WPA as the xbox doesn't support wpa2 from what I can recall.

great idea!!how do you do that,tho
    iphone 4
    thks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

actually you can't change the security settings..just checked :)

But try this

*use your laptop to find the dns settings when you're using your iphones hotspot and put them into your xbox settings, it should connect then.

*Taken from Apple support forums

This solution shouldn't work .

Tethering is disabled by the network and nothing to do with settings on the handset.

Flogging a dead horse on this one I'm afraid .

Handiest thing to do would be to get a dongle or a mifi hotspot and use this .

If you have the above just pop into a store and pick up a mobile broadband sim and top it up .

Also when the contract ends its not going to magically enable tethering , tethering isn't disabled because your in contract but merely because it undercuts broadband only device sales .

When it goes into the rolling 30 day contract following the contract expiry you WILL NOT be able to tether.

Terms of usage remain the same except the duration of commitment is 30 days as opposed to a pre determined time .

Advertisement