Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Steve Kean resign???

• 11-08-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Blackburn's Global Director, Shebby Singh, has opened up at a meeting earlier today.

Main points
    • Kean will be sacked if they lose 3 games in a row.
    • Pederson and Dunn are too old
    • When asked by a fan - "I am scottish, and know nothing about football, ..... Can I have a job?" He said - "That position is already taken!" To uproarious laughter.

Cannot see how his job is tenable at this stage, and I think he should resign to preserve his dignity. The behaviour of Shebby Singh at this meeting is disgraceful, imo.

Apologies if this has been already posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything.

From BBC Sport.

Also

Comments

Agree its disgraceful behaviour but Kean has left himself open to such ridicule.

Made unrealistic predictions last year and some crazy decisions, clearly not up to the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

And miss out on a compensation package if/when he gets sacked? I certainly wouldn't resign.

Shebby Singh is insane by the way, some of his comments:
    (On England during qualification for Euro 2008) ''I think that Steven Gerrard is a poor passer so he should play at right back..I think thats the best position for him.''
    ''Yes, Messi scores all these goals, but what else does he do?''
    ''Why does Giggs play CM now? Why does he do that? Play him CB with Ferdinand - the experience from those two would be so hard to beat.''
    ''A club is bad if it does not buy! Buy buy buy even if you paying for rubbish! It'ss about horse trading not training, tactics or strategy!''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The man is certifiable..... :D

If Kean has an ounce of dignity, he should walk away. The fans dont want him, the board don't want him, dunno about the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ahh Blackburn just rolled out the jester cause everyone else was in hiding .

The whole club is a fücking joke which is really sad as I am quite fond of Rovers, but Jack Walker must be turning in his grave .

Sooner the better they shake off their leeches and get back where they belong .

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Just walk away.

death comes only once, but you can lose your dignity a million times, and this is much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why would Kean walk away? Obviously, he's not a manager, but Blackburn are fascinating in their ineptness!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not a hope. He'll never get a decent managerial job again. This is his pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's true. I'm sure he'd love to get the fuck out, but the pay-off is worth too much. Especially for a man who will never be on similar wages again. It's probably the difference between being able to comfortably take care of his family and having to scrape what he can get from any job he can get.

With those terms now stated as fact, it'll be interesting to see the reaction from the players. Lose 3 at the start of the season and they get a fresh start, or play their heart and souls out to stop that happening.

(I know players should never think like that, but, you never know..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kean should be absolutely delighted that the board have been so charitable as to not sack him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

alproctor wrote: »

It's like something from Dream Team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

On another forum that I frequent, in the Man.United thread there are a few lads from India and Bangladesh who receive ESPN Asia. Singh was one of their main presences and the main is despised. Universally. Massively irritating, and as the quotes show, severley lacking in knowledge with regards to the game. He shouldn't be given the time of day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

I'd say Kean expected to be sacked and have got his compensation package at this stage. He is right to wait around until they sack him. He knows now that all he has to do is lose 3 games in a row and he'll get his pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

he SHOULD resign as hes not up to the job.

he SHOULD resign for the good of the club as he got us relegated.

but he wont.

I wouldnt!

Hes got the best job in the world, him not being any good doesnt matter to him. HE thinks hes good. hell never walk away.

he SHOULD resign as hes not up to the job.

he SHOULD resign for the good of the club as he got us relegated.

but he wont.

I wouldnt!

Hes got the best job in the world, him not being any good doesnt matter to him. HE thinks hes good. hell never walk away.

That's probably true, but the reason I think he should resign is that the owners just shít on him. If he had any dignity, he should walk - he would have a lot more respect from people if he did, after that episode yesterday.

If he stays, just for his compo deal, then he's asking for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Regardless of what people think of Steve Keans ability as a manager, the way he's been made a scapegoat for the owners is a disgrace, hopefully for his own sake they sack him after 3 games and he walks away with a nice few quid. Who in their right mind though would want that job after him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Resign and he won't suffer abuse, I doubt that. The man would be crazy to resign and miss out on his severance pay, and I don't think anyone here would do any different when's there's that much money involved.
    What's more important the respect of total strangers, most of whom are football fans that were baying for his blood with a total lack of class, or his family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Well I assume loss number 1 will be today..... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CSF wrote: »
    Kean should be absolutely delighted that the board have been so charitable as to not sack him already.

As every, your grasp of reality is amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Who in their right mind though would want that job after him?

With the signings weve made this season, I think we actually have a very good squad. Easily good enough to get promoted. its not THAT bad a job despite the retarded owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

there losing 1-0 to cork city at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Why should he resign? If the board are trying to humiliate him into resigning, why don't they act like proper employers and give him the sack and the payoff he's entitled to? They made the mistake, they should deal with it and move on. It's not right to publicly denounce him like this. I'm no fan of Kean, but he's a human being like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Blackburn's Global Director, Shebby Singh, has opened up at a meeting earlier today.

Main points
    • When asked by a fan - "I am scottish, and know nothing about football, ..... Can I have a job?" He said - "That position is already taken!" To uproarious laughter.

Cannot see how his job is tenable at this stage, and I think he should resign to preserve his dignity. The behaviour of Shebby Singh at this meeting is disgraceful, imo.

:pac:

As if he has any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Main points

I would LOL if Kean leaves now and sues for constructive dismissal. Based on those comments alone, he'll have a case. It'd just put the perfect cap on this sorry bloody saga. Also, we might get some more juicy details in court.

Based on this, and the Singh quotes earlier in the thread, Blackburn are going to remain a joke long after Kean leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

opti76 wrote: »
    there losing 1-0 to cork city at the minute

They won 3-1 in the end.

BKC wrote: »
    They won 3-1 in the end.

MG Pederson scored too - Laughed when i read that - delighted for him....

Seaneh wrote: »
    As every, your grasp of reality is amusing.
    ?

They aren't being charitable, they are being too cheap to fire him.

He know's he isn't wanted, but why the hell should he quit and lose the money.

They are being cowards trying to wait him out, I think he's dead right not to quit.

They aren't being charitable, they are being too cheap to fire him.

He know's he isn't wanted, but why the hell should he quit and lose the money.

They are being cowards trying to wait him out, I think he's dead right not to quit.
    I clearly wasn't being serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Great shebby singh. Such an awful pundit and Blackburn owners are ****ing clueless and they proved with a written statement when they hired shebby singh. 5 year old kid can come up with better analysis than him. Only positive about Blackburn hiring him is that I don't have to see him in ESPN anymore. Also someone should hire Steve McMahon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Blackburn players had a meeting earlier following your mans comments. They are all handing in transfer requests and he was told by the entire staff in Cork that he was not welcome to travel back with them.

As an aside, Pedrson was pure class today. Great goal, and after he was subbed, he signed everything he was asked and stood for a crap load of photos. Class act.

I got a photo with Colin Hendry. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

gimmick wrote: »
    Blackburn players had a meeting earlier following your mans comments. They are all handing in transfer requests and he was told by the entire staff in Cork that he was not welcome to travel back with them.

As an aside, Pedrson was pure class today. Great goal, and after he was subbed, he signed everything he was asked and stood for a crap load of photos. Class act.

Fair play to them. The one thing that makes me think Kean might not be a clueless waste of space is the near-fanatical loyalty of the players. Has there ever been a manager with a comparable record who'd received so much support from the dressing room?

Also, whatever people think of Kean, Pederson has been a consistently good player for them over the last eight years. Calling him a 'pensioner' at 30 is way out of line.

I read in the Guardian today that he's been forced to publicly apologise. The circus rumbles on.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Spiderpig92

if I was Kean, i would resign regardless of my record at the club, being told by your chairman u will be sacked if you lose the 1st 3 games??? what kind of pressure is that to put on your manager. I think the owners are looking for a reason to sack him however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

If i was him i would walk away.

But even last season you could see it was a puppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

geeky wrote: »
    gimmick wrote: »

Fair play to them. The one thing that makes me think Kean might not be a clueless waste of space is the near-fanatical loyalty of the players. Has there ever been a manager with a comparable record who'd received so much support from the dressing room?

Also, whatever people think of Kean, Pederson has been a consistently good player for them over the last eight years. Calling him a 'pensioner' at 30 is way out of line.

I read in the Guardian today that he's been forced to publicly apologise. The circus rumbles on.

Pedersen has been a loyal servent to the club, but he has not been consistently good for 8 years. I have witnessed poor form from him given the standards he set, his set pieces suffered a dramatic dip in form, might have coincided with him shifting to the centre though as it is no secret what little pace he had is gone.

Truth be told, Singh is bang on about Dunn and Pedersen, but it is totally uncalled for to come out and express it in the manner he did. All he is doing is trying to win some fans over with the Kean talk, try sell some tickets, but unless he keeps to his word regarding Kean's sacking, which he has left no doubts about, the fans will toss him on the same scrapheap of abuse as Kean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I knew nothing about Shebby Singh before he joined Blackburn. I did listen to a long interview he did on BBC Radio Lancaster and I was quite impressed by him in that.

Since he came in we have bought Leon Best, Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and a couple of young Portugese players along with Nuno Gomes and Kazim-Richards.

I seem to have missed all the crazy stuff that has been said. The meeting with the supporters group was very important as the fans had no communication with the club(since Venkys bought the club) before Singh arrived. I don't think he just answered that question without thinking. Its very possible that he was trying to ruffle Kean's feathers.

I find it hard to believe he was being serious when he said the things that PaullyD has there in quotes, a bit like the Allardyce thing where he was taking the piss out of a journo for asking a stupid question and everybody reads it and believes he was serious about managing Inter or Real. Fyi the question that Allardyce was asked was if he thought Mark Hughes was more suited to the Fulham job than the Manchester City job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I hope he wins his first 3 games and shoves that up their holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ipswich, Hull and Leicester. Doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

He's aplogised now . Said it was in jest .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He isn't capable of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Regardless of what people think of Steve Keans ability as a manager, the way he's been made a scapegoat for the owners is a disgrace, hopefully for his own sake they sack him after 3 games and he walks away with a nice few quid. Who in their right mind though would want that job after him?

as a blackburn rovers supporter I hope they dont sack him. venky's hired him because nobody else would take the job, who would want the job afterwards ? No-one. We would get an even worse manager than we already have.

I'm less concerned with getting rid of Kean and much more concerned with getting rid of Venky's. They are taking our club apart piece by piece and they wont stop till it's all gone. heartbreaking :(

• Advertisement

as a blackburn rovers supporter I hope they dont sack him. venky's hired him because nobody else would take the job, who would want the job afterwards ? No-one. We would get an even worse manager than we already have.

I'm less concerned with getting rid of Kean and much more concerned with getting rid of Venky's. They are taking our club apart piece by piece and they wont stop till it's all gone. heartbreaking :(

You are the one of very few Blackburn supporters I've spoken to that doesn't want him sacked.

Not saying you're right or wrong, just saying....

Resigned today....

Hardly a surprise, considering.

If I was him I'd be suing.

The board made it impossible for him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If I was him I'd be suing.

The board made it impossible for him to stay.

His own record made it impossible to stay. 76 games played. 38, 50% of them, lost.

We've had a good start in the championship but performances haven't been good.

A lot of the lads Kean signed himself last year (Petrovic, Vuckevic, Damn, Formica, and particularly Ribeiro) have been anything but good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Weird time to resign. It seems that he traveled down to London with the team to face Charlton, then jacked it in. Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd have told them to take this job and shove it months back, who the hell would work for that shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The golden rule of football management is never resign. Take your payoff when they have to sack you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Cienciano wrote: »
    The golden rule of football management is never resign. Take your payoff when they have to sack you.

I don't know about that. It makes Kean look better in the eyes of everyone else. The fact that he felt unhappy with the club's owners and the direction they were taking the club. He'll back in club management again very soon I believe. He'll do very well too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How is his situation anymore untenable than it was a year ago...

Either way, he should've resigned after the game at Tottenham last season.

dfx- wrote: »
    How is his situation anymore untenable than it was a year ago...

Either way, he should've resigned after the game at Tottenham last season.

Because of board members publicly talking about how they want to sack him, etc, criticising him and the team, making jokes about him in press conferences?

• Advertisement
Advertisement