Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying fishing gear

Options
  • 11-08-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

It is a long time since I fished (20 years) but I would like to get back into it and am a bit out of touch with everything. I have a rod and reel and some gear but Have a few bob and would like to invest in some new gear.

I mainly fished fresh water coase fishing but would like to invest in some gear that would cover a bit of sea fishing (from pier e.t.c) but am a bit clueless...

Any advice on the best value for money and where I would get best advice around dublin or surrounding areas...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

How about a trip to some of the areas you intend fishing and chat with the anglers on the ground. Throw your eye over the gear thats being used and get some opinion.

I'm not a big fan of spending a lot of money on gear that is subject to sea water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I have two 12ft beachcasters and 2 fixed spool reels. All bought new, the rods cost 40 each and the reels the same, I have them with 4 years now and they are still perfect and lord only knows how many fish they have caught. My point is dont get sucked into buying really expensive gear because at the end of the day the fish dont know the difference!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I have two 12ft beachcasters and 2 fixed spool reels. All bought new, the rods cost 40 each and the reels the same, I have them with 4 years now and they are still perfect and lord only knows how many fish they have caught. My point is dont get sucked into buying really expensive gear because at the end of the day the fish dont know the difference!!

Thanks. I don't intend on getting very expensive gear in fact the opposite. I am looking for the best value for my money as I dont have a huge amount and it will be investment.

Advertisement