Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hercules RMX as a traditional mixer?

• 12-08-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I currently use a Vestax VCI-100 and NI Audio 2 soundcard but I'm picking up a pair of 1200s on Monday and trying to figure out a handy way of integrating vinyl with digital and recording mixes. I had an RMX a few years ago and, while I know it has phono connections to allow TTs to be plugged into it, I never had anything to plug in at the time.

On paper it looks ideal but I'm wondering if anyone knows how it performs as a traditional mixer? Would I likely notice a difference (or is there a difference?) between the normal electronic signal path of phonos through a normal mixer versus the signals being processed through the RMX's built in soundcard? I can't find definitive answers online anywhere but I'm guessing the controls (levels, gains, EQs, crossfader etc.) on the RMX are actually encoders, rather than hardware potentiometers as would be found on a normal mixer. This would suggest to me that most of the processing would have to be done in software. Will this take away the "connection" that should be part of playing vinyl?

I don't have the money to go proper DVS like Serato or Traktor scratch but I'd like to be able to utilise the digital music collection I have along with my 15 year old vinyl and the new stuff that I'll be buying.

Anyone any thoughts or experience?

Advertisement