Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Inquiry

Options
  • 12-08-2012 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi, I would like to know if anyone could loosely tell me of their experience of getting their gun licence. I hear it can be a long process.

I would like to go shooting across family land and hunt foxes , odd pheasant although there are lovely . Instead of buying an okay , middle of the road gun , what rifle should I get as I intend to become a skill full gunman as I feel I would really enjoy going into the rural , nature landscape.

I would say I like to buy for Long Term , decent quality in general , Im a smart buyer. Not necessarily the most expensive but something I know is a good reputable product and very capable.

Any tips of shooting you feel I could benefit I would kindly appreciate:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Hi, I would like to know if anyone could loosely tell me of their experience of getting their gun licence. I hear it can be a long process.

I would like to go shooting across family land and hunt foxes , odd pheasant although there are lovely . Instead of buying an okay , middle of the road gun , what rifle should I get as I intend to become a skill full gunman as I feel I would really enjoy going into the rural , nature landscape.

I would say I like to buy for Long Term , decent quality in general , Im a smart buyer. Not necessarily the most expensive but something I know is a good reputable product and very capable.

Any tips of shooting you feel I could benefit I would kindly appreciate:)

Hi Johnathon,

Firstly, and I bet plenty will differ on opinion, but I think you would be better off with a shotgun if you intend shooting pheasant. Join a gun club in your area, get to know people and learn your quarry. you wont become a 'gunman' you will at least learn how to shoot your local lands safely. If you still want to try foxing and you dont fancy the shotgun, you can go for a rifle knowing you have good guidance and experience. You can shoot foxes with the shotgun but if you are going to shoot game and vermin, you will need one of each, ultimately, thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Jonathan redomond

Thanks for your comment. Any ideas where to go to look at guns and try to walk around the shops and see what sales person recommends?

Also for others, What Gun is best?
    Gun Licence Info.
    Money Involved ?

Thanks for your comment. Any ideas where to go to look at guns and try to walk around the shops and see what sales person recommends?

Also for others, What Gun is best?
    Gun Licence Info.
    Money Involved ?

Gun license info is a 'Sticky' here so look up the top

You need to find a gun dealer in your locale, there is a list here.

also, if possible, get someone who knows shooting to go with you as some guns will fit you and some wont so you need to be measured or monitored to get it right.

What is your budget? that is going to guide your answer as you can spend 20
    k plus on a gun if you want so you need to set a budget as well

I'm sincere. I intend to buy a gun , i would like advice as to What make or whatever people use. Is there a walk room shop that could display guns and indicate for what usage etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

I'm sincere. I intend to buy a gun , i would like advice as to What make or whatever people use. Is there a walk room shop that could display guns and indicate for what usage etc etc...

Like Tikka said, for your needs, your probably better off with a shotgun since you cant shoot pheasents/ducks etc with a rifle. If you get the rifle your limiting yourself to be honest.

As for where to see some guns, the best advice is just join a club and see what they have there and maybe get out for a days shooting.

You're going to have to join a club anyway before you even put your application in (unless you want to go down the route of a limited certificate).

As for costs. THats up to you really. Going on the type of gun you describe in your OP, Id say you could pick up a pretty decent shotgun for 600-800. THen get your secure accomodation. Join a club. Get your insurance. Get your comptency course, pay your licence fee. Id say your looking at maybe €1,200-€1,400 or thereabouts.

EDIT: Missed the first part of your question. Regarding the process. It differs from place to place. There is a lot of horror stories out there for sure. Just take a look through a few pages on here and see some of the crap people are put through. Then again some get the licence back handy enough. I think for the most part, so long as you dont have a record, so long as you dont hang around with "dodgy people" and your family is decent (not dealing in drugs etc). THen you should get it without too much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

Joining a club is expensive but since you haven delt with guns it is a must if you don't have anyone to show you the ropes..even the bullet from a small rifle can travel for a mile and a half even tho its only accurate at 100yards so they are definitely not a toy..
    As for buying a gun go to a gun shop and look at them even ly down and line your self up with it see if it fits..
    It depends on the dealer if he trys sell you a good gun at the right price if you like a particular gun don't buy it straight away go home and do a bit of research on it

shooter88 wrote: »
    Joining a club is expensive but since you haven delt with guns it is a must if you don't have anyone to show you the ropes..even the bullet from a small rifle can travel for a mile and a half even tho its only accurate at 100yards so they are definitely not a toy..
    As for buying a gun go to a gun shop and look at them even ly down and line your self up with it see if it fits..
    It depends on the dealer if he trys sell you a good gun at the right price if you like a particular gun don't buy it straight away go home and do a bit of research on it

Definitely take that advice. I made that mistake a few too many times over the years. And watch out for pushy dealers too.

But yeh. Join the club and get out with boys there and see what guns they have and get a feel for what suits you best. Its too easy to mistake when your buying something you've only held in a dealers or only a saw a picture of it online.

And needless to say, try not to get caught up in the whole- "this gun looks more tactical then that gun" :rolleyes:

As pointed out by Mike, there is no best gun. Decide your budget as if you want to spend 600 you wont be buying a holland and holland and likewise, if you want to spend €3000+ you wont be buying a lumar (nothing wrong with them, just using it as an example) Decide if you want to shoot just game or whether you will want to shoot clays as this will also influence your choice.

So decide your budget, find a gun dealer in your area, all of them are listed on here or at least mention your county and someone will recommend a good registered firearms dealer. All RFD will have a stock of guns that you can pick up and try for fit and feel and they will be happy to advise you what is best for your budget.

Getting you license differs from station to station but generally the process if to be completed within 3 months from receipt of application. As I previously said, you should join a gun club and the gardai may insist on this anyway. I know my own club charges €60 per year for full insurance, club membership so its pretty cheap in the scheme of things.

You could go and get some land owners permissions but I am guessing you are not advanced enough in the process to have the contacts to do that so a gun club is the way to go. Look on the NARGC web site for contacts in your area, contact them and get advice.

As for money involved, decide what you can spend as the choice is limitless. No one make of gun will be recommended over another as you havent been fitted yet but should you narrow it down to makes within your budget, there will be plenty of opinions based on user experiences and also 'google' is a wonderful tool and reviews are every where so decide what you want to spend and start the process as advised above and best of luck.

Should you get a gun, safe shooting.

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    I know my own club charges €60 per year for full insurance, club membership so its pretty cheap in the scheme of things.

I think you meant its €60 for insurance and then whatever it is after that for the club?

And I think most clubs also charge near the €200 mark for your first year so you'll have to take that into account aswell.

Without meaning to be so pessimistic, if I were you I would be looking into joining a club ASAP because most of them (well the ones around here anyway) will be closing the doors for new members in the next week or two. If you miss the deadline you'll have to wait until next year to get in.

Mike87 wrote: »
    I think you meant its €60 for insurance and then whatever it is after that for the club?

And I think most clubs also charge near the €200 mark for your first year so you'll have to take that into account aswell.

Without meaning to be so pessimistic, if I were you I would be looking into joining a club ASAP because most of them (well the ones around here anyway) will be closing the doors for new members in the next week or two. If you miss the deadline you'll have to wait until next year to get in.

No, I was the secretary of our club for 10 years and the breakdown is club €13 + Compensation fund €50 and County Regional Game Council €2 so €65 in total.

Apologies for saying 60 but it was type and I just rooted out this years receipt :)

We toyed about charging more for first year but the consensus was that it was unfair to penalize shooters taking up the sport in favor of stopping the ones who join for the first year only to get their license and then are never seen again.

The rule here is that you apply and have to approved after being seconded by two members so its fairly tight anyway. I have had some interesting people call to join over the years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

No, I was the secretary of our club for 10 years and the breakdown is club €13 + Compensation fund €50 and County Regional Game Council €2 so €65 in total.

Apologies for saying 60 but it was type and I just rooted out this years receipt :)

We toyed about charging more for first year but the consensus was that it was unfair to penalize shooters taking up the sport in favor of stopping the ones who join for the first year only to get their license and then are never seen again.

The rule here is that you apply and have to approved after being seconded by two members so its fairly tight anyway. I have had some interesting people call to join over the years :)

you got lucky and have a very cheap club cos all the ones around here are 100+

garv123 wrote: »
    you got lucky and have a very cheap club cos all the ones around here are 100+

You're right in fairness, I have been a member for a lot longer than I was secretary and they are a good bunch, members and chairman and treasurer and they have kept costs very low but have always been tight as to letting people join that are not already known to members.

That is the cheapest club I have ever heard of. Where do you get money for your birds? THe club Im in is €80 after insurance and they were half considering putting it up even more this year :eek:

Mike87 wrote: »
    That is the cheapest club I have ever heard of. Where do you get money for your birds? THe club Im in is €80 after insurance and they were half considering putting it up even more this year :eek:

We used to buy pheasants in past years but the land owners that we had the pens on, sold on during the property boom and one fella just locked the gates and kept the pens we built lol

So now we buy duck every year and release them locally and have done for many years. Funny thing is, all the locals who see the abundance of ducks in the town, think its the council thats releasing them when it is our club and has been for years.

Hope your club doesnt increase, we thought of making it a three year payment like the new licenses and the club vote gave a resounding no so I shudder to think of what would happen to our membership were we to increase the costs. We have good reserves in the bank as well so using some of it for annual clay comps and occasionally to sponsor a club member who would be competing at a high level but might be finding it hard to fund the travel.

We used to buy pheasants in past years but the land owners that we had the pens on, sold on during the property boom and one fella just locked the gates and kept the pens we built lol

So now we buy duck every year and release them locally and have done for many years. Funny thing is, all the locals who see the abundance of ducks in the town, think its the council thats releasing them when it is our club and has been for years.

Hope your club doesnt increase, we thought of making it a three year payment like the new licenses and the club vote gave a resounding no so I shudder to think of what would happen to our membership were we to increase the costs. We have good reserves in the bank as well so using some of it for annual clay comps and occasionally to sponsor a club member who would be competing at a high level but might be finding it hard to fund the travel.

Exact same thing happened here.

THat sounds like a great club you have going there. I reckon a fair few clubs could learn something from ye. Id love if our club would get into ducks or grouse or something but they wont hear tell of it.

Anyway, I better stop derailing this thread before I get in trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just a thought here, have you ever gone shooting before? Often people get into shooting with little or no experience. Find some one you know who already shoots and go out with them and experience all the different aspects of shooting you have mentioned. Some people prefer shot guns, others rifles, many both, while there are many who shoot that don't hunt.
    My advice is do your research and then try to get a feel for the sports through experienced and safer shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I intend to become a skill full gunman

Sir - respectfully, a 'gunman' is certainly NOT what you want to be.

Gunmen mostly get shot dead by police marksmen.

I'd guess that the word 'marksman' is probably what you mean.

Best in your endeavours.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - respectfully, a 'gunman' is certainly NOT what you want to be.

Gunmen mostly get shot dead by police marksmen.

I'd guess that the word 'marksman' is probably what you mean.

Best in your endeavours.

tac

hahah, Obviously ! Don't beat me up about it :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dxdiablo

Hi. about the guns.... when u consider to buy a gun your next question would be " what kalliber?". Im talking about vermin shooting as i dont shoot and eat game. go and get your self a good .223 rem or .22-250 rem gun they would be tikka, remington 700 vssf ii, rem tactical come at good price. why 223?, cause its all around cal, cheep ammo and bullet weights from 35gr up to 75gr (again will depend on gun barrel twist rate). i would recomend tikka t3 super varmint in 223 or 22-250 - this model has superb accuracy out of the box, well made, smoof action and so on. price on particullar rifle will varry from 1200 to 1500€. my adwise - do not by something u will hate and something u will want to change as it happened to me years ago. good luck

Advertisement