Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounce

Options
  • 12-08-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Was just wondering has anyone ever read the book called Bounce by Matthew Syed ( BBC analyst for the Olympics)?

Found it to be an enthralling read that completely changed my views on sport, and in general how I live my life :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

I read and enjoyed Bounce. Its very similar to Malcom Gladwell's Outliers (which Syed often quotes) but more sport focused.

I think Syed stretches his point a bit too far at times- similar books on this topic do exaclty the same thing and all (in my opinion) downplay the importance of natural talent. They are all trying to put accross the "its all about practice" when surely the answer is a lot more "talent, hard work and luck are all pre requisites to success"

Maybe a bit of me just wants to believe in true awe inspiring talent! Take Leo Messi for example - no matter how often anyone else played football as a kid I can't believe they would be better than Messi. True if Messi never played as a kid he wouldn't be as good but no amount of practice can create him - merely refine him.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

I was a firm believer in "Talent" before my friend introduced me to this book, and trust me there was many a heated argument about it. In the end after reading the book, I was a complete believer in the motto of hard work.

I think the thinking behind talent is just a cop out for us mere mortals, so as we can see these people granted god given abilities to be better than the rest of us. When behind it all they just worked their asses off for their whole life.

Have never read Malcolm Gladwell's work, but I look forward to reading it.

Sure we all know that Messi was given some god given talent! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Listening to 'The Last Word' this evening and Matt Cooper had a guest on talking about this very topic. I would be interested to read this book and see what conclusions it draws. I think the guest on TLW was saying that hard work, practice etc. is what is required to be the best but he also conceded that some people are genetically disposed to be better than others and this gives them an advantage which, at the very top level of sports, is the difference between good and great. Am I right in thinking that this book states that with hard work we can all be greats?

I look forward to reading it

Am I right in thinking that this book states that with hard work we can all be greats?

Yes, some people are genetically disposed to be better athletes but this normally arouses in the likes of athletics and swimming i.e not many white people win sprint events, while not many black people win or compete in swimming events. It's all actually covered in the book.

Everyone has the potential to be great at what they want, whether it be sports, languages, and there is even a brilliant section in the book explaining the myth of people not being able to "understand" maths!

It's well worth the read completely changed my outlook on life, if only I had of found it sooner. God only knows what I could have achieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I will definitely give it a read. Thanks for the recommendation

• Advertisement

Make sure to let us know how ya get on with it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

Definitely if people take from it a desire to work harder at whatever it is they do then its a very very worthwhile book!

Just don't use it as a justification to send your kids to a Tennis academy at age 6 or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Thanks for the info. I have this book on my shelf, so you've inspired me to actually read it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Excellent book. Definitely food for thought but the Messi analogy quoted earlier does indicate the existence of/importance of innate talent/aptitude/ability.

Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers was more thought provoking for me. The story of the Hungarian Dad who "made" his daughters into world chess champions and grand masters was particularly thought provoking. Syed seems to have taken Gladwells thesis and applied it more in depth to sport.

Two super books for those interested in sports or achievement at any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

mrwhimwham wrote: »
    It's well worth the read completely changed my outlook on life, if only I had of found it sooner. God only knows what I could have achieved!

Why is there a time limit on becoming great?
    There is nothing to stop you starting now, except that you are replacing the 'I don't have the natural talent' with 'I'm too old' as an excuse for not putting in the practice.:)

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    Why is there a time limit on becoming great?

Ah you could say there is a time limit on becoming great as the younger you start, the greater the possibilities you have to absorb and learn new things. But not in relation to everything I suppose you could say. :)

Advertisement