Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Marathon Training Diary

• 12-08-2012 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

This year I decided to lose the belly, and get a bit fitter, so joined the gym in January, doing kettle bell and spinning classes,a nd started eating better. I am a pretty normal BMI now, and a lot fitter, so want to set a new goal, so signed up for the Dublin City Marathon, taking place on October the 29th, ~11 weeks from now.

Hopefully this blog will keep me motivated as I log my progress and experiences, and might be of some use to other first time marathon trainees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 caca__milis

First i downloaded a training schedule's to try and build up some sort of training schedual. I downloaded a http://dublinmarathon.ie/marathon-schedules.pdf from dublinmarathon.ie. I wont have time to go running 6 days a week, like in most training schedule's, but ill try get in what ever i can. Each week seemed to consist of 5 runs (~ 6 - 10 miles each), 1 long run (~12 - 20 miles), and 1 day off. It is currently on week 4 of the schedule already, so I started with a 6 mile run.
    This run was around Finglas & drumcondra. About 2/3rds of the entire run was uphill. Used MapMyRun app on my phone. Highly recomended if you have a smartphone, and wouldn't mind carrying it with you. Maps your position, speed, elevation to surprising accuracy, and provides you with statistics afterwards, and uploads all the details to your MapMyRun homepage. Also, if you are also listening to music on your smartphone, the voice comand will activate at set intervals, and tells you your distance, speed etc, so you dont have to actually look at the phone to get updates on your progress.

Date:Monday, 6th August
    Length: 6 miles
    Duration: 48:45
    Avg Speed: 8.07: minute mile

Went for a short run. I had to go somewhere, so decided I may as well run. Wearing jeans and normal runners. Very uncomfortable. Dunno if id bother do that again.

Date: Wed 8th August
    Length: 1.44 miles
    Duration: 13.46
    Avg speed: 9:35 minute mile

Since i didn't do must running this week, decided I better stick in my long run. According to my schedule's, my long run this week, should be 14miles, but I wont be able to handle that. Decided to run 10 instead, but took a wrong turn, adding an extra 2.5 miles before I realized.

Defiantly the most horrible route i could have picked, never again. The first 4 miles, and the last 4 miles were up a very steep inclination around up the Finglas, working me harder from the start, and making the last stretch near impossible for me. While running through rough looking areas like Ballymun, Ballybough, and around Bolton street, i must have passed a million chippers, and fast food places, where the smell makes you feel hungry, and makes the feeling of a depleting energy supply even more noticeable.

I learned that if you are going for a run up to 10 miles, make sure to bring water.
    I need to get proper shorts, made of decent material. For the last 3 miles, every single stride felt like sandpaper scraping away on the insides of my legs, leaving a large rash on the insides of my legs.

Also, i need to eat a properly to prepare for a long run. I only had All Bran for breakfast, and some chicken fillets for lunch, and I think I starved myself without any carbs. With 1.5 miles to go, i had to sit on a wall to rest for a couple of minutes, and i actually felt myself drifting into sleep after a minute.

Started off with about 8 or 9 minute per mile, but by mile 8 it started increasing a good deal. around 9-10 miles i had to stop and take rests as it started getting very tough

Date: Saturday 11th August
    Length: 12.5 miles
    Time: 2:23:37 hours
    Avg speed: 11:28 minutes per mile.

I ran home from Malahide.
    The route was mostly a gradual uphill climb. Dam phone died at about 8.6 miles, so I didn't get to upload the exact statistics from MapMyRun, but i still could work out a good estimate of the overall time and distance.

This run was way easier than the the last long distance one. Besides waiting at a couple of traffic lights, and stopping for a widdle in the bushes, I didnt have to stop for a rest at all. Considering three days ago, it took me an almost an hour longer to go only 2 miles extra, i'm taking that as a big improvement. Still, if i am aiming to do a marathon in about 3hr, 30min, i.e. an average 8 minute mile, ill have to run a lot faster than that.

Couple of things to point out. I had dinner about 20 - 30 minutes before running. I knew I should have waited longer, but it was getting dark, so I headed off anyway. The first couple of miles were a bit tough, and was actually my slowest miles, 9 minutes or so, but then after a while it got easier. I brought a small bottle of water with me, and took a small mouthful every mile or so. Was annoying holding it, but I was hydrated the whole time which was good. Towards the end, for my last couple of miles, there were some downhilll climbs, and I actually was able to pick up the pace for these which I was happy about, as opposed to dragging my feet along, barely able to lift my feet off the ground, as I was a few days ago

Date: Tuesday 14th August
    Length: 10.4 miles
    Time: 1:27:00 hours
    Avg speed: 8:24 minutes per mile

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

good work keep it up, i shall be keeping an eye on you as i plan to run the marathon @ 3:45.
    in saying that your 12.5 pace is well off 3:30 ovb a tough route... dont injure yourself trying to get ready for 3:30 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Couple of comments:
    1. Get a pair of compression shorts to avoid the rash/chafing of the groin area. I this works for you get a couple more pairs for rotation between runs.
    2. Get a free gait analysis done to see if you are using the correct style of runners. Chances are you could be flat-footed and would need in-built arch supports in your runners. (I'm assuming this as point 1 would normally indicate flat feet, causing the upper legs to be rubbing off each other). If you run with inappropriate footwear you have a high risk of getting injured. Of course you may already have the correct footwear, so happy days if so!
    3. As the previous poster says be wary of taking on too much too soon or again you will get injured! From your details above I'd imagine 3:30 marathon goal is too ambitious for you. Generally it's a good idea to just run your first marathon at a pace within your capabilities. Nothing worse than having to walk miles to the finish line, trust me I know!!
    Anyways, best of luck with your training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Best of luck with your training. Make sure to have a look at the Mentored Novice Thread as plenty of experienced runners are about giving very useful tips.

Have you done any shorter races yet or have you any planned before the marathon?

Advertisement