Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭blackwave

Outside New Ross and wind is after picking up before the shower hit, seems to be heavy enough but nothing too serious just a warm up for later really :P

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Slight Breeze down here in Cobh , no rain or drizzle . Off to bed and hopefully wake up to some nasty seas down here

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

very heavy rain in new ross now and the winds after picking up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

I wonder will we see a swathe of silly photos on here tomorrow of knocked over flower pots and garden furniture complete with "We will rebuild" slogans?? Some rain now in wexford.... hardly what I would call serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Fairly windy here in county Waterford, was lashing down until about 10 minutes ago, still raining but not as bad! Just some strong winds now really..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

copperhead wrote: »
    very heavy rain in new ross now and the winds after picking up :D

Same here in Glenmore ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I wonder will we see a swathe of silly photos on here tomorrow of knocked over flower pots and garden furniture complete with "We will rebuild" slogans?? Some rain now in wexford.... hardly what I would call serious.

where in wexford are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

That heavy rain in Waterford and Wexford is from the far outter break off bands of system. Just look at that rich moisture. She's carrying a heavy load folks and could be dumped in the space of only few hours and then clearing to showers. Image is from midnight but you can see where those bits came ashore in the southeast now.

Let the games begin.....
    217054.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Calm enough in Swords. Off to sleep now, going to head over to the pier in Howth tomorrow..should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

eh, calm enough here in youghal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Redsunset wrote: »
    That heavy rain in Waterford and Wexford is from the far outter break off bands of system. Just look at that rich moisture. She's carrying a heavy load folks and could be dumped in the space of only few hours and then clearing to showers. Image is from midnight but you can see where those bits came ashore in the southeast now.

Let the games begin.....

Does that mean it's going to get worse or..? :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

ahal wrote: »
    Completely still here in Bray ... eerily so. I wonder if what they say about 'the calm before the storm' is scientific? :eek:

That'll be the Katie Taylor effect, she's like the Irish Chuck Norris, she'd batter the hell out of that storm!

Wind picking up a wee bit here in Cobh now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Let the games begin.....
    Thats a lot of moisture but i presume there will be even more when it drags the warm air up from Biscay or am i totaly wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

It already is drawing on the warm air helping to create it with the colder air in behind powering the system into a spiral. Airmass clashing. I suspect a lot of that moisture will be retained for us and nowcasting is so good to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

delw wrote: »

Let the games begin.....
    Thats a lot of moisture but i presume there will be even more when it drags the warm air up from Biscay or am i totaly wrong?

Still has another 8-10 hours of intensification too if the NAE is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Rain currently smashing off the windows now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Can I say something without being banned.... I rarely contribute to the discussions on here but do enjoy the different posts and the opinions (some of which are very good) of many members, but... and this is meant as constructive criticism... are the moderators a little quick to ban members or send them on a break. Example... the user who made the "They have to sh!t in a cupboard" comment. Ok off topic I know but it made me laugh!

Ok back to the situation, I in a mobile home near Lady's Isalnd. It was raining a bit back but nothing heavy and no wind here, just a light, but warm breeze. Reminds me a little of a few years back I was in Florida and a tropical storm was due (not a major hurricane otherwise we would have been evacuated)...the warmth of the night air... a little like that here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

You guys are great. It's all very interesting, I just wish I understood some of the more technical posts a bit more. Keep up the good work :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A bit of wind coming down the chimmy here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Nothing in Limerick yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 SAN123

Anyone know what time this event will reach meath???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

SAN123 wrote: »
    Going by mt cranium in the forecast thread possibly around 9 am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

SAN123 wrote: »

Check out MT's latest forecast here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=130

There is some serious rain out there in the Celtic Sea. I can see pockets of 40-50 mm/hour rain creepin into view down there on the radars.

Ah jaysus, if you zoom in far enough there are pockets of white which is 50mm and above, the top of the scale on Raintoday.

Hopefully that will weaken a bit before it gets here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Temperature is rising here, upto 15.6c from 14.8C. Wind is an F2 but I'm sheltered from the winds - on a hill facing SW to N. The shower gave 3mm with highest rain rate of 28.6mm/hr.
    Pressure falling and at 1001.09mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Can hear a very light shower starting now (North Dublin) and the winds are slowly picking up. Going to be interesting in the morning.

Pritty extensive area of bright colors on the radar now. More white areas.

Theres a few pockets showing up as 76-96 mm/hr on the Netweather scale now...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

The rain has just started here this minute in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I was just about to fall over to sleep there and was disturbed by the wind. Surprising considering how far north I am compared to the 'main event'. Everyone stay safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have just posted this forecast update ...

Data confirm that explosive development of storm has occurred, current location of centre appears to be 48N 13W approaching K1 buoy where pressure is falling rapidly and winds increasing. This buoy is always rather conservative on wind speeds so 29 knots sustained is on course for the later forecast. Central pressure is probably about 980 mbs now and continues to fall. Upper air guidance show that the expected deep vortex has formed just to the west of the surface centre. This phasing "bomb cyclone" will now move towards southwest Ireland with an intensity similar to a 45-kt tropical storm. Satellite presentation is impressive and enough land-based radar now catching the front to suggest heavy rain forecasts will verify.

Forecasts remain unchanged awaiting further model guidance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement