Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Divil-a-bit just on the radio talking about this. Nothing much of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    From AA Roadwatch website: "Heavy rain and stormy conditions have hit the south coast, most severely affecting Co. Cork at present":confused:

Can anybody in Cork county vouch for this? Dry and completely calm in the city anyway

... 185500_453470188018572_1855920420_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The stronger winds are forecast for later this afternoon as per maquilidora and MT. The worst of the rain is over but there will be heavy showers following later. Calm before the storm!

I know but isn't it wrong to say that it's stormy at present so? Cos it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I know but isn't it wrong to say that it's stormy at present so? Cos it isn't!

I suppose just making people aware of the dangers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭JeanLucPicard

Ok sorry but hasnt anyone noticed the white elephant in the room?? It is a bit wet and breezy. Nothing unusual about this morning's weather, we get a day like this every summer. I am in Wexford, on the coast and the sea is choppy... not rough, not huge waves etc, just choppy. The rain has ceased, some blue showing in the sky, and by the looks of things it will make a fair day. I not trolling, I am simply reporting conditions exactly as they are and have been all morning. I know some people in here hate it when someone puts up a post about weather that they dont want to hear about, or report benign conditions because it takes away from the drama etc, but truth and fact are better than exaggeration and hype. I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??

You're heading out to the Saltees later? Good luck with that. We cancelled our fishing trip yesterday morning-.no way I'm risking my life or any of my friends not to mention my boat!!!! Also remember the RNLI crew members whose lives you are putting in danger.

If its a charter boat you are heading out on I'd check with them again. The Coast Guard radio is issuing a fairly stern warning.
    I've seen what can happen to the sea between the islands with lesser winds than whats forecasted for today. It gets dangerous very quickly.....too quickly.

Maybe listen to the warnings......there'll be other days.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    ... 185500_453470188018572_1855920420_n.jpg

Yes Ian - I put that up on my facebook as well but that's a country road at like 8am this morning or something - I'm talking about NOW at this moment!! AA Roadwatch saying it's stormy in Cork "at present" which is not true

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Gerard Flemming just said on radio that "this is not Hurricane Charlie". So we can all calm down. He said low pressure in the Sth West will be the main worry later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

On holiday in Valentia, Yipeeee. Heavy rain from 5-8 am no wind yet, blue sky some clouds and slight breeze at the minute , not a sight nor sound of any seabird ,will keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I havent seen proper thunder and lightning in years, is it really too much to ask? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I am disappoint :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

All calm here out in ballincollig,the calm before the storm
    I expect,hopefully it won't get any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Maybe listen to the warnings......there'll be other days.
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/162-02.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dave! wrote: »
    I am disappoint :(

Now Now!!!!

The system will drift west tomorrow but as it will continue to exist until about saturday it is forecast to pull bands of rain up from the south for the next 3 days. Should clear up Saturday.

EG like so.

Rtavn544.png
    Rtavn724.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Ok sorry but hasnt anyone noticed the white elephant in the room?? It is a bit wet and breezy. Nothing unusual about this morning's weather, we get a day like this every summer. I am in Wexford, on the coast and the sea is choppy... not rough, not huge waves etc, just choppy. The rain has ceased, some blue showing in the sky, and by the looks of things it will make a fair day. I not trolling, I am simply reporting conditions exactly as they are and have been all morning. I know some people in here hate it when someone puts up a post about weather that they dont want to hear about, or report benign conditions because it takes away from the drama etc, but truth and fact are better than exaggeration and hype. I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??

Suggest it might be a good idea to stay at home today! Extract from Coast Guard Press release today below

Specific advice from the Coast Guard is:
    · - The public is advised to stay away from the shoreline and to avoid engaging in water sports
    · - Do not venture out unnecessarily when gale force conditions are forecast
    · - Avoid exposed coasts, cliff paths and coastal areas during inclement weather this week
    · - Owners of small vessels and fishing vessels in coastal waters should seek shelter and secure them properly with moorings.

If you do see someone in difficulty in the sea, on the shore, cliffs, lakes or rivers dial 999 or 112 and ask for the Coast Guard.

ENDS.

Issued by:
    Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport Press Office. Tel: (01) 6041007 / (01) 6041090.

Just had a warning issued by email at work - they are taking this quite seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dublin 18...

Looked out the window and it looked a bit wet without much wind. But went outside for all of about 15 seconds. Holy crap, the rain is heavy and wind is strong - not stormforce, but pretty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

Calm down here in west Waterford. Heavy rain and strong gusts earlier but rain has stopped now and wind has eased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

dak wrote: »
    Suggest it might be a good idea to stay at home today! Extract from Coast Guard Press release today below

Specific advice from the Coast Guard is:
    · - The public is advised to stay away from the shoreline and to avoid engaging in water sports
    · - Do not venture out unnecessarily when gale force conditions are forecast
    · - Avoid exposed coasts, cliff paths and coastal areas during inclement weather this week
    · - Owners of small vessels and fishing vessels in coastal waters should seek shelter and secure them properly with moorings.

If you do see someone in difficulty in the sea, on the shore, cliffs, lakes or rivers dial 999 or 112 and ask for the Coast Guard.

ENDS.

Issued by:
    Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport Press Office. Tel: (01) 6041007 / (01) 6041090.

A friend of mine also insists on going fishing today despite the warnings .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yes Ian - I put that up on my facebook as well but that's a country road at like 8am this morning or something - I'm talking about NOW at this moment!! AA Roadwatch saying it's stormy in Cork "at present" which is not true

Very True.. Radar shows nothing in Cork now
    mothel wrote: »
    Gerard Flemming just said on radio that "this is not Hurricane Charlie". So we can all calm down. He said low pressure in the Sth West will be the main worry later this evening.

Good oul Gerard... Hurricane Charley was definitely a rain AND wind event. This is a Rain and only a localised wind event.
    I havent seen proper thunder and lightning in years, is it really too much to ask? :mad:

Dont put ur hopes up. I cant see it happening here... Some strikes though off the South of England where there is more instability currently..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Let them go to their island at midday, and good luck to them. :D

Estofex are not even giving us a Level 1 now, the severe weather is supposedly from England over to Belgium if anywhere.

Here is their latest forecast.

A level 1 was issued across Centrl, Ern and SErn England, and across the Wrn Benelux countries and N-central France for severe wind gusts, excessive precipitation and to a lesser extent for tornadoes and large hail.

Within the level 1, a level 2 was issued for central parts of the Benelux, where the probability of severe weather within this zone appears to be highest.

A level 1 was issued for the Ern Benelux countries, Wrn and SWrn Germany, Ern and SErn France, Switzerland, Nrn Italy, Srn Austria, Nrn Slovenia and NErn Spain mainly for large hail and to a lesser extent for excessive precipitation and wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS

At 0900 UTC, an unseasonably intense mid-/upper-level trough, extending from a closed low located SW of Ireland towards Brittany moves northeastward. An intense 975 hPa low should move northward slightly west of the western Irish coast during the forecast period. The warm sector, visible as a thermal ridge extending from Wales to central France moves quickly northeastward reaching a line from the northern Netherlands to the central Alps by 18 UTC.

DISCUSSION

England, Benelux, France, Germany, Spain...

A narrow zone of latent instability, coinciding with low-level convergence and a significant wind shift, lags behind the NEward moving thermal ridge. This zone is expected to be the focus of most convective activity. Within the zone, CAPE should be limited to a few 100 J/kg over the British Isles, and up to around 1000 J/kg over the continent. Deep-layer (0-6 km bulk) shear within the most unstable zone is expected to be in the 20-25 m/s range across Britain, and around 15 m/s over the continent. Low-level (0-1 km bulk) shear around 15 m/s is forecast across Britain and around 10 m/s over western parts of the continent, and about 200-300 m/s of SRH just ot eh east.

It appears likely that storms will indeed form along the surface convergence zone, and that these may acquire some rotation given the rather strongly helical inflow, enhancing storm updraught speed. They will, however, cluster rather quickly.

Where low-level shear is highest, across the British Isles and NW France, western Benelux, a threat for one or two short-lived tornadoes is present. The main risk however, will be wind gusts, and locally, very heavy rainfall. Some large hail may also occur, especially with the earlier storms that are not yet clustered, as they typically posses the strongest updraughts.

The hail risk extends all the way to the south and southeast along the convergence zone across France, W Germany, Switzerland, and across the eastern Pyrenees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'm in Cavan at the moment. Quite heavy rain and blustery wind. The sky is one big, grey cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Let them go to their island at midday, and good luck to them. :D

Estofex are not even giving us a Level 1 now, the severe weather is supposedly from England over to Belgium if anywhere.

Here is their latest forecast.
    You do realise Estofex just do forecasts for convective activity/ thunderstorms/ supercells/tornados etc?

Im enjoying the current weather and looking forward to later.

But I have to get this out because Im spitting bleedin feathers over it,

the amount of people who seem to give a big F*** YOU to the Emergency Services, who will no doubt in some cases have to put their own lives in danger to rescue the selfish A-H**** who insist on ignoring all the warnings.

Shame on the lot of ye whoever decides to go out in a boat today despite the warnings. Shame on you.

rant over.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You do realise Estofex just do forecasts for convective activity/ thunderstorms/ supercells/tornados etc?

Exactly. There's no interesting weather over Ireland, just wind & rain. Situation normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im enjoying the current weather and looking forward to later.

But I have to get this out because Im spitting bleedin feathers over it,

the amount of people who seem to give a big F*** YOU to the Emergency Services, who will no doubt in some cases have to put their own lives in danger to rescue the selfish A-H**** who insist on ignoring all the warnings.

Shame on the lot of ye whoever decides to go out in a boat today despite the warnings. Shame on you.

rant over.:mad:

When I said a friend of mine is going fishing , I mean on shore not on a boat . Still though I don't think it's a good idea . I agree anyone going on a boat is crazy and looking for trouble .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just had a warning issued by email at work - they are taking this quite seriously!

Email from who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Email from who?

Work, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Malin: 36 Gust 45 knots

Bit stronger than I was expecting for 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gerry Murphy was on RTE Radio and said its not a "REAL" storm and the rain is not as bad as was expected

We had storms in the winter with winds of 140 k, I am sure if DE was to dig out some stats this is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Malin head had the strongest gust in the last hour according to met Eireann, 45 knots (83 kph).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement