Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Sun is out in Kilkenny city and its pretty damn warm, but its dull and rainy down south of the county. The wind all around here is very strong. Roads have large bits of branches all over them, and I wish my car had a rudder pedal with the bloody crosswinds.:pac:

Past a coastguard vehicle for some reason too. Probably just on business or something.

Here's a webcam from Dunmore east Co Waterford if anybody is interested
    http://www.portofwaterford.com/webcam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Had some fairly heavy rain earlier, but now sun is out. Light to moderate winds, nothing out of the ordinary really, just its very warm! Panic over nothing for this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Storm force 10 (48 knots) at Kinsale Energy with a gust of 58 knots @ 3pm.

Wouldn't like to be in a ship out around there, there are some out there

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cork Airport had a maximum gust of 89KPH in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

imageWest.jpg?counter=1345044479532

People now up in the Lighthouse @ Hook Head

http://hookheritage.ie/index.php/the-lighthouse/webcams/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Winds picking up here, gusty, not really registering on my weather station though, really need to relocate and/or make higher to 10metres the wind sensor.

Looks like things should start to worsen a bit with showers and stronger winds after the rain and then the relative calm.

The three hour forecast on met.ie has the low over Kerry at 6pm at 979mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Just been down the seafront in Youghal, waves are coming over the sea wall, I have a lot of vids and pics, I'll upload them shortly and share them. When high tide hits here in about 20 mins its going to get very hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Min wrote: »
    The three hour forecast on met.ie has the low over Kerry at 6pm at 979mb.

It's tipping between 979 and 980 at the moment, though I'm not sure about how well calibrated this station is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Have just hit an all time low pressure record on my weather station 992.6hpa previous, now 988.3hpa :eek:
    Still falling!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The Squall line that created from the line of showers we had early that moved through england has flooded parts of OXford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looking very gloomy and grim outside now in ballincollig,I guess the worse is at the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Round two is approaching Waterford fast.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Is the storm over ?

That band of rain is heading away from us.

Are we expecting more to follow ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It's now pouring out of the heavens now and its gotten sooooo dark outside

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The coast road in Cobh is blocked due to a fallen tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

getwaterlevelimage.php?imgid=637892&locid=91
    Blackwater at 0600 this morning Fermoy.

getwaterlevelimage.php?imgid=638789&locid=91
    and today at 1600hrs has risen about 6 inches so far.

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/imagedatabase/getwaterlevelimage.php?imgid=638789&locid=91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

From the Evening Herald, 55 minutes ago. No 'by-line'. Shameless stuff.
    Worst Storm in 25 Years.

Wednesday August 15 2012

HURRICANE strength winds and rain lashed the country today.

It was the worst summer storm to hit the east coast in 26 years.

Forecasters compared the horrendous conditions to Hurricane Charlie, which ravaged the capital in 1986.

Dublin city officials were forced to close the flood gates of the river Dodder as winds of up to 110kph battered homes.

The storm hit land in Cork early today where luxury cruise ship the MSC Lirica was unable to dock due to rough seas.

As the hurricane-like winds made their way up the east of the country, the coastguard was pleading with the public to stay away from exposed water areas.

“People are just not used to these conditions. There is no reason to go to these areas,” coastguard official Declan Geoghegan said.

The hurricane-like storm hit land in Cork early today and swept up the eastern side of the country throughout the evening.

The capital was on major flood alert as forecasters warned of "torrential rain" and storm force winds".

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Neilos wrote: »
    Is there something causing those lines that come south from the Dublin area? They seem to be on a lot of the images I've seen and they look too straight to be natural.

Found it on the BBC.... it still looks scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Here's a quick vid taken around 2 hours ago, that's "my" mountain at the back :)
    The trees are my way of judging the wind, I've no weather station. Not as spectacular as sea shots :o
    http://youtu.be/rslwzaQm9tI

There's just one lightning flash and thunder from day before yesterday (early morning), the storm was moving away over the mountain at that stage, better heard in headphones really.
    http://youtu.be/GcXeOmtmKVM

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Folks is Dublin over the worst not that it was that bad anyway.But it seems to have calmed down a lot around Artane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just picked up the Evening Herald. I must be living in a completely different Dublin!!

Folks is Dublin over the worst not that it was that bad anyway.But it seems to have calmed down a lot around Artane

Yeah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Moved the big images to the weather picture section

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056727654

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Im out in St Vincents Hospital , Dublin 4 and the wind is picking up over the last hour , but seems that Dublin escaped the worst of this storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Spilling rain here again and strong gusty winds:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Coles wrote: »
    From the Evening Herald, 55 minutes ago. No 'by-line'. Shameless stuff.

Yes, pretty poor journalism, well shocking to be exact.

It is saying it is worse than storms like the Christmas eve storm or the St Stephen's day storm or someother storms we had in that period.

The truth being it is just really bad for August and people should just respect nature and not tempt fate by doing anything stupid in the bad weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

getwaterlevelimage.php?imgid=637979&locid=90
    The Suir in Clonmel at 0700hrs
    getwaterlevelimage.php?imgid=638872&locid=90
    and at 1700hrs rising steadly up 9-10 inches

Some beefy showers in Cork on the latest radar.

• Advertisement

Just back from garrettstown and went to the surfers beach with my 8 yr old. The wind was easily force 8 ir more. Hard to stand up. But the best craic was dodging the waves crashing over the small car park wall. It was squally and very windy..just as predicted by Met EIreann. It peaked about 4pm but its much calmer now. Thats outside kinsale by the way for non cork readers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement