Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Windier now in Kerry then it was all day

Of course it is, you now have the wind direct as the low centre has moved north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Redsunset wrote: »
    Of course it is, you now have the wind direct as the low centre has moved north.

Thanks, that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

in douglas in cork and the wind is louder than the tv and we have the volume as loud as you can just get away with at this hour,

the rain is bucketing down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ASCAT winds, measured at 11:42 GMT. Nice representation of the storm centre just south of Kerry.

217213.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    by the looks of things, the rain that is currently hitting cork is coming for youghal. :D
    Just went out for a smoke there and the winds have really picked up again, it's going to be an interesting night on the hill.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Winds seem to be getting up again in south kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

Redsunset wrote: »
    Rainfall radar highlights where the storm centre is now positioned.

217211.JPG

Aww Dublin gets nothing at all . Although it's fairly windy here at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

clearly dublin has seen sweet feck all today judging by the news only giving our stormy weather 1 minute this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The LOW is sitting over the Castlebar area atm,lol,well in that general area!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And its fast approaching Five to Midnight,so its Met Eireann time on Rte Radio 1/Sky 0160 right after this 60s classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

leahyl wrote: »
    That was a serious amount of water just dumped on Cork City! Has calmed down a little now again

Tell me about it, I have an wheelbarrow filled to the brim with rain water from the deluge over past 24 hours...and it's not a small wheelbarrow!!

This "Summer" is a total and utter write-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

483904_275105705931149_1905640177_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wind direction has veered from SE to S/SSW here in the last hour so low centre more or less up around Oscar's area. 987.5 hPa and rising rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I was on a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander the night of the 14/15th, one of the choppiest crossings I'd been on in a good few years, plenty of ashen-faced adults and kids going around with sick bags in their hands for most of the morning. Have things settled down in Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

My station recorded its all time record low today 984.2hpa, starting to rise now, 17 miles north of castlebar.

wxStationGraphAll?day=15&year=2012&month=8&ID=IMAYOSWI2&type=3&width=500&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Su and Red Sunset (and other experts )are the heavy rains predicted tomorrow evening unrelated ? Surely by then the strands of this storm will be well gone ?
    (am in the middle of one, furious wind and rain howling outside, Knockmealdowns)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

WEB_sat_ir_eur.jpg
    I'm not an expert but it looks as though it will come in from the south. Maybe someone can correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Rainfall expected later Thursday is from a weaker system that is rotating around this larger low -- as it pulls away to the northwest that system will move northeast and hit around 6-9 p.m. although there could be another meso-scale system arriving ahead of it across west Munster late morning.

The main low is now moving NNW past Westport and Belmullet and should begin to swerve more to NW soon. Winds have remained strong but should begin to subside to the 20-40 mph range before 0600h except perhaps in western Mayo. The bands of strong showers still active should also begin to subside by morning. When the secondary arrives in the evening, winds may pick up again to 20-35 mph and we're expecting 15-30 mms rain on average across most regions. Yet another wave appears likely later Friday for another similar event (10-20 mms).

Forecasters on Boards : PM me if you can handle a few days next week, I am taking a holiday, probably Sunday to the following weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

M.T. Whats the chances of thunder in the west... would you expect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Real calm now In the north east wasn't too bad a day to be honest seen worse this summer looks like we escaped the worst of it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Su and Red Sunset (and other experts )are the heavy rains predicted tomorrow evening unrelated ?

You should listen to the weather forecast on the wireless because......

q3wl95py0h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Fallen tree in Galway 15/08/2012

I hate driving under these trees in stormy weather, with good reason.

217226.jpg

217228.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You should listen to the weather forecast on the wireless because......

I read the Met Eireann forecast, is that different from ... the wireless ? :confused:
    (and that didn't tell me about another front)

Being pulled in behind the Low as MT said , have a look > http://www.sat24.com/

The low will lose its rotational energy thereafter and it should be quite nice again by Saturday. :)

ok, i'm being seriously rattled here by the wind. :(

ok, i'm being seriously rattled here by the wind. :(
    Are you still in a caravan in Youghal??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

178570.jpg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Are you still in a caravan in Youghal??

yup. see how long i'd last :p

yup. see how long i'd last :p

I'd say the hair is only massive with the amount of observations you reported for us today. None about sun may I add. :cool:

• Advertisement

lol yup. clothes not looking so good right now ether. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement