Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freezer Size

• 12-08-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

Howdy all,
    Pigs are heading to butcher next Sunday so I need to get freezer sorted. Only keeping 1half for ourselves and all the rest is sold. I want to get a tall upright freezer and hubby thinks we will need a chest freezer (will be putting in a lamb later in the year).
    Do ye think there is enough space in the tall ones for the amount of pork on half a pig?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

not a hope a half pig will fit you are talking about 15 packs of sausages a full leg og ham pork loin chops streaky rashers belly bacon and roasts.a half pig is aboutthe same size as 2 lambs.we have a upright freezer and use my parents chest freezer too.there are two farmers one near two mile borris and the other in laois selling piedmontese beef a good box of it delivered for a 100 euro,you could have pork bacon lamb and beef all in your freezer a nice variation,theres nothing worse than not getting to the buthers and eating pork for 5 or 6 days running.i ordered my box of beef on wen getting it next wen so i let you know how i get on if you want to look it up yourself just google irish piedmontese beef .ie i thinkp.s i have no connection with them but i love the idea and just like to support farmers like them.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

I have the largest domestic chest freezer that whirlpool make, think it is 530L, it will hold 2 whole pigs, cut up.

You need to consider what you want to freeze next time you kill, have you garden peas, a few broiler chickens etc, have you room for a large freezer ?

I only kill once a year & a pig & a half last us about 11 months, just 2 adults & 2 small kids.
    I freeze my chops in a box, layer of greaseproof paper on the bottom & 2 layers between each layer of chops, when frozen they are bagged. This keeps them all separate

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Hiya guys, thanks for the reply's. Upright freezer I am looking at has a net storage capacity of 273lts so it should be plenty for 1/2pig and lamb based on askims storage. Will get a large chest freezer next year when there is a heifer ready.

Do you get the butcher to vac pack your cuts or do you just get it loose. Also do you make your own hams or get a butcher to cure for you. Who makes your sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Started this post a while ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056468279

I just get mine killed, Cut up myself, cure my own & make my own sausages with salt & spices, don't like premixed spice.
    it took a while but am happy with last batch of sausages & rasher, make some with no pepper for my kids, just salt & sage, ham needs a bit more work but getting there.

Is this your 1st time to keep pigs?

A

Advertisement