Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to invest for 5 Years???

• 12-08-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20 elexus86

I have €10,000 to invest but can only do this for 5 years. Has anyone any idea of the best place with a good return??:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

invest in the social welfare, they're doing better than ever!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bank of Ireland shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ulster Bank.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I know of some bridges in Sweden that are a good investment, just Paypal me the 10 large and I'll sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

10000 worth of scratchcards you'l never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

An oil exploration company.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Shotgun cartridges and tinned food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

elexus86 wrote: »
    I have €10,000 to invest but can only do this for 5 years. Has anyone any idea of the best place with a good return??:rolleyes:

Post Office, good return on investment, easy access to money if needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I have a good one, but unfortunately you need to do it for 6 years.

I have a good one, but unfortunately you need to do it for 6 years.

What is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Set up a managed fund account with RaboDirect or somebody like that, deciding what kind of fund you want - steady or something that's riskier but has a higher chance of accumulation. Don't invest in just one entity as the majority of fund accounts will give you a diversified portfolio and will be managed by a qualified person making the decisions for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Set up a managed fund account with RaboDirect or somebody like that, deciding what kind of fund you want - steady or something that's riskier but has a higher chance of accumulation. Don't invest in just one entity as the majority of fund accounts will give you a diversified portfolio and will be managed by a qualified person making the decisions for you.

this 1,

I will memorise it so I can recite it down the local, to the ones with the large foreheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Caravans. Now that John Joe Nevin has done so well at the Oylmpics, everyone will be travellers now. It will be the new bandwagon, literately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Bank of Dave

this 1,

I will memorise it so I can recite it down the local, to the ones with the large foreheads.

Interesting. Any idea of Fund Managers costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Art. Get some good paintings by well known local artists, money might go tits up, but paintings keep the value.

Art. Get some good paintings by well known local artists, money might go tits up, but paintings keep the value.

Interesting too. Would they be hard to turn into cash later on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

In general they take a proportion of your investment but to be honest if you want to be properly diversified you'd need to invest maybe 20k or thereabouts. I'm a bit of a novice in all of this but you can have a look at Rabo's funds here: https://www.rabodirect.ie/investments/managed-funds/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Bank of Dave

then have a banana to celebrate

"Hey look at me, I've €10,000"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

I would suggest the Post Office, my parents invested exactly the same amount in the late 1990's in a bank run fund management, program for 5 years and ended losing IR£4,000 on their IR£10,000. It seems a lot to you and me, but tupence in the bigger picture.

Either the post office, or clear debts, or insulate your house, you will be surprised how much you will save each month on either of the last two, and instead of waiting for the interest you will already have it in your pocket.

Art, I'm not sure about, you would need to know what you need to buy, and again it's a risk and commission will need to be paid on it.

While you are thinking about it stick it in the Post Office ;)

Delthedriver (cant quote when using my phone), not hard to turn into cash, certain local artists have collectors who will pay good sums for a work, then you have gallery owners and art dealers who will buy it off you for a fair price, or you can sell it through them. From what I have been told by some I know who runs a gallery, irish tend to buy irish artists, so local is your best bet. He keeps some paintings in his shed and stuff like savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

How much risk are you willing to take and will whatever you want to buy in 5 years be priced in euros?

too much considering most funds underperform against the market even back in the good old days when it was difficult to lose money in the equity markets.

A suitable ETF would be the recommenation once you state what your risk profile, aims and long term plans for the money is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Delthedriver (cant quote when using my phone), not hard to turn into cash, certain local artists have collectors who will pay good sums for a work, then you have gallery owners and art dealers who will buy it off you for a fair price, or you can sell it through them. From what I have been told by some I know who runs a gallery, irish tend to buy irish artists, so local is your best bet. He keeps some paintings in his shed and stuff like savings.

I'm an artist and I wouldn't buy art as an investment, it has more risk than buying shares, I would and have bought art, because I have liked it. It is too subjective, and too open to trends of specluation. But if you want I will give you 10 pictures for €1,000 each. **thumbs up**

I also hope your friend has his shed properly insulated, cause I have seen too many pieces of priceless art being destroyed, through improper storage. ;)

Bluesmoker - not sure I would buy any art other than for liking it myself too, just some people seem to know the right names to have and the right people to buy it. Yeah, when I said shed, its like a wee mini house more than anything, uses it for guests to stay down in and rents it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

send it off to invest in some IT start-up in Brazil or India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Then get some wine tasting, cheese eating "art expert" who is really an artistic ignoramus and you will squeeze at least 5 grand profit out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Pensivepuca/Bluesmoker - I buy a little Irish art from time to time and you can get lucky occasionally especially if you watch car boot sales etc. People appear to be getting rid of a lot of prints at the moment without realising the value of some of them.
    Niall Naeesens / Paul Regan etc seem to being going for next to nothing and some can be worth quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Vegas baby!

Or wait till the euro millions is up at 150 million again and buy €10000 worth of tickets.

I also know this Nigerian prince who just needs a few bob to release his millions from the banks. He said that he would give you a nice return on your investment if you want to help him out. PM me and i will forward you on his details if you are interested.

I also have these magic beans you may be interested in?

In reality land:

Post office, Credit Union or RaboDirect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Consider keeping your money in a currency other than the Euro, just in case it all goes tits-up or Ireland ever withdraws. Euro is losing a lot of it's value at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Young dragon head to kick starter... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

green energy

green energy
    any specific investments?

"green energy" covers a lot of very different investments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Get rid of your Euros asap.

Consider Swiss francs and move your wealth to Zurich. OR buy a portfolio of gold and silver. Don't keep it in the U.S or even the EU is sketchy. They'll end up confiscating it when the shyt hits the fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Tulips. I've heard that Tulips are going to be the next bid thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Buy some NAMA Senior Debt bonds. Can't go wrong ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

K3lso wrote: »

Consider Swiss francs and move your wealth to Zurich. OR buy a portfolio of gold and silver. Don't keep it in the U.S or even the EU is sketchy. They'll end up confiscating it when the shyt hits the fan.

Where should I keep my gold and silver ? and where's this fan ?
    If I keep my gold and silver behind the fan will I be ok ?
    Whose 'they' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Go to the National Savings in St Andrew's Street Post Office, Dublin 2 (near Dame Street / Grafton Street.) They have lots of savings products, and the savings are government guaranteed. They have leaflets, so you can either talk to them there and get advice, or take the leaflets home and study them (you can also do this on their website.) Pick one product, put your money in, earn interest, and relax. Be sure to carefully check the terms. In some schemes if you take your money out early you lose the interest.

If you go to other financial institutions they will steer you to invest in a fund. Usually they take about a 15% front-end fee and invest your other 85%, and often don't invest it too well. It could go into property, shares or other things, and you might lose there also. And you might be locked into these funds for say five years, and not get the bad news until 2017.

Sounds like very sensible advice
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

screw 5 years put it all on strike action in the 4.50 at the curragh today.its a sure thing.

Where should I keep my gold and silver ? and where's this fan ?
    If I keep my gold and silver behind the fan will I be ok ?
    Whose

I'll attempt to explain to you what I think he's saying.
    US dollars and any assets priced in US dollars such as US stocks and shares, investment funds etc are being devalued by quantitative easing. To attempt to get out of the recession they print more dollars, flood the economy with them, and effectively devalue the dollars in peoples pockets/bank accounts/shares.
    They also have a high government debt, as does the Euro zone so the long term economic outlook isn't great., therefore the the value of the currency.
    By buying the currency of a more stable economy such as Switzerland, Norway, Australia, Canada or buying shares/ bonds there you could benefit in the long term.
    Presumably **** hitting the fan refers to economic collapse in US and or EU, and 'they' refers to those that some people believe are engineering all of this in order to increase their wealth, and reduce the wealth of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bhamsteve wrote: »
    US dollars and any assets priced in US dollars such as US stocks and shares, investment funds etc are being devalued by quantitative easing. To attempt to get out of the recession they print more dollars, flood the economy with them, and effectively devalue the dollars in peoples pockets/bank accounts/shares.
    They also have a high government debt, as does the Euro zone so the long term economic outlook isn't great., therefore the the value of the currency.
    By buying the currency of a more stable economy such as Switzerland, Norway, Australia, Canada or buying shares/ bonds there you could benefit in the long term.
    Presumably **** hitting the fan refers to economic collapse in US and or EU, and 'they' refers to those that some people believe are engineering all of this in order to increase their wealth, and reduce the wealth of others.

do 'they' work for the man?

Do crocodiles fart ?

K3lso wrote: »

why?
    the swiss franc is currently massively overvalued according to the head of their central bank. Next you will recommend gold.

If you are getting your investment ideas from the irish independant you have already missed that particular boat.

mattjack wrote: »
    Do crocodiles fart ?

I don't know but i wouldn't like to get close enough to find out :)

kincsem wrote: »
    Go to the National Savings in St Andrew's Street Post Office, Dublin 2 (near Dame Street / Grafton Street.) They have lots of savings products, and the savings are government guaranteed. They have leaflets, so you can either talk to them there and get advice, or take the leaflets home and study them (you can also do this on their website.) Pick one product, put your money in, earn interest, and relax. Be sure to carefully check the terms. In some schemes if you take your money out early you lose the interest.

If you go to other financial institutions they will steer you to invest in a fund. Usually they take about a 15% front-end fee and invest your other 85%, and often don't invest it too well. It could go into property, shares or other things, and you might lose there also. And you might be locked into these funds for say five years, and not get the bad news until 2017.
    an irish government guarantee eh.

wouldnt have australia in that group. They are 2008 ireland.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    do 'they' work for the man?
    they work for hedge funds that cater for high net worth individuals and currency speculators.

they change names regularly, a previous alias was george soros.

they will win in the end because they buy government bonds so have a get out of jail free card but every now and again throw somebody to the wolves so we can direct our anger at a specific person and after they do 6 months in a country club are paid off by the man with a high paying board position that does not require them to leave barbados.

good game.

Formation wrote: »
    wouldnt have australia in that group. They are 2008 ireland.

I don't know enough about it myself. I certainly wouldn't speculate €10k in anything without independent financial advice.
    I do think that there is a real risk of the Euro imploding in the next 5 years though and would look to insulate myself from that if I had €10k.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement