Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendations for 'baby's first books' ?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello. a close family member recently had their first child. I'd like to send a gift package (they live abroad) and I asked them what they might need for the baby that they hadn't already received. They mentioned books. Not literature obviously but picture books, 'baby's first books' type of thing for when the child is a little older and starts to look at books.

Not having kids myself or been around them much, I don't have many ideas.

Can any parents recommend some 'baby's first book' type books?

(also, does anyone know if Amazon.co.uk ship books to Ireland, for me to receive and wrap up and send to my family? I once tried to order other items from Amazon.co.uk before and, after entering everything at the end when asked for address it blocked sending items to Ireland and I couldn't use Amazon)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are loads of books you can read to a baby as soon as they are born.
    We loved these

The Boss baby
    We're going on a bear hunt

Pop up books and board books are good for when they are a bit older and want to grab the pages. You can get these in supermarkets though, try tesco, lidl, aldi.

Nursery rhyme books are good as well.

And we also use buggy books... The bear with a pear is a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 angeleyes44

yes amazon do deliver to ireland.all books that have stories are what my kids loved .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

At this stage the baby will love hearing the soft voices so any old thing will do;)

If you really want to send them something realistic and useful try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CseO1XRYs9I

They will thank you!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've a set of three books that are all in the same range and our little one loves them. They're story books with great illustrations, she has sat quietly listening to them since she was about 9 months so maybe not 'first' books but they're lovely. (we only got them then so not sure if she'd have used them earlier).

They're by Little Tiger Press, and called The Very Greedy Bee, The Monkey with a Bright Blue Bottom, and The Teeny Weeny Tadpole.

Can't remember how much they are...the first one we got also came with an audio cd of the book but we haven't used that-I think just the books without the cd is better (think they all come with the cd option).

We normally use thebookdepository.co.uk for books...free worldwide delivery and normally quite quick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Any of the "That's not my ...." books.
    They are brilliant:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

cloth books are great too imo as baby chews things and they can be washed.
    Have seen them in debenhams,
    also google 'taggie' you ll find a selection of books, cloth books, taggies, buggy books. Might post link if I can later
    Edit Link http://www.kidsii.com/taggies/c-174-books.aspx?ms=bsm1
    such a great selection of lovely stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Goodnight Moon is a classic.

Guess How much I love you

Hug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lisha wrote: »
    cloth books are great too imo as baby chews things and they can be washed.
    Have seen them in debenhams,
    also google 'taggie' you ll find a selection of books, cloth books, taggies, buggy books. Might post link if I can later
    Edit Link http://www.kidsii.com/taggies/c-174-books.aspx?ms=bsm1
    such a great selection of lovely stuff,

My 5 1/2 month old loves his little cloth book! I think it's not for the literature content ( :P ) but because he can eat it and it makes crinkly noises!

His 16 month old cousin loves his cardboard book that has lovely bright pictures and different textured stuff on the pictures (woolly stuff on a sheep, hair on a baby, etc etc).

Where is Spot is very nice, as is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I love the Richard Scarry picture books myself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

By the way... Don't be quick to rule out literature, those can make great gifts. We got some beautiful books for our baby. A box of the narnia series. An old edition of Little Women with a message written in it for her. A copy of The Hobbit. It'll be a while before she goes near them, but it's nice to see them waiting there on her bookshelf until she is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

pwurple makes a good point there,

I have put aside Rolald Dahl books for my kids when they are older,
    My sister had a beautiful beatrix potter box set collection that we all loved
    So maybe if childs parents are particularly into a certain thing you might be on a winner. (box of narnia series,,,love it:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

My little man loves the ladybird "a touch and feel" books. They are a shortened version of Goldilocks, the three little pigs etc. on hard board pages with something for them to touch on each page. We read one every night and it takes about 3/4 minutes......just long enough for a 1 year olds attention span! Have been reading them for 3 months now and he loves them. He picks his own story each night. The hard board pages are great. Very durable and can with stands water and milk spills etc!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

our daughter had one of these books:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babys-First-Usborne-Cloth-Books/dp/0746087942/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344932245&sr=1-9

and she loved it so much, the pages have things like crinkly noisy pages to fuzzy rabbits to touch and feel, silky butterflies...etc

and its machine washable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I just came across this photography book online and I thought it would make a great present - its all about capturing those lovely kiddy moments when they are growing up...

Elevate the Everyday: A Photographic Guide to Picturing Motherhood - you can get it on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Leatherman

Silly Barney

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The big night night book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Night-Night-Book-Georgie-Birkett/dp/0370329856/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345155613&sr=8-1

Each Peach Pear Plum: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peach-Viking-Kestrel-Picture-Books/dp/067088278X/ref=pd_sim_b_42

I got about 10 books on amazon when my son was born. Read these when he's going to bed, think he likes these 2 the best. They're card pages so he can't tear them.

Advertisement