Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised bed ideas

Options
  • 12-08-2012 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a raised bed that's 4ft high, 18 ft in length and 5 in width. Its on a SW facing wall that gets some early morning sun then again later in the afternoon. Currently its just covered with bark chippings with a good layer of compost underneath..

I'm looking to start planning the bed for next year and would like to know if anyone has some good suggestions, links or resources to help with the planning.

Ideally I'd like a to have a good mix of colour through the spring and summer.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like lovely growing conditions there, is it 5 foot deep?

Are you looking for herbaceous border type wild colour, or more of an all year round mixed shrub and herbaceous arrangement?

For mixed, start with your structure. A fwe evergreens of various shapes and heights. A holly, false box, and a prostrate juniper maybe.

Then I would put in a few roses and hydrangea, good long flowering season on them, choose whatever colour you prefer. Some tall herbaceous, like cynara, watsonia, or acanthus. Then bulbs and tubers mixed in, so iris, alium. A few easy filler plants you can propogate easily and fill gaps with..l use sedum and lupins. Then some tumblers down the front, maybe keep it to annuals.

Websites below are some I use.

http://thegardenaesthetic.tumblr.com/
    Pinterest.com has some good garden pinners. Beautiful Backyards on pinterest is a board I follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

lots of alliums for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

pwurple Its 4ft of top soil just to the top of the sleepers then the previous bed beneath. Would be going for year round mixed shrub and herbaceous perennials arrangement. Thanks for the link.

paddy147 alliums look good. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Four feet of topsoil? Wow, the carrots and lettuce you could grow!

With the compost,I would mix in a good bit of manure,fertilizer pellets/blood fish and bone and also horticultural grit.

This will give you good planting conditions and also good drainage,which is important with raised beds.:)

• Advertisement

Have a look at my post and pictures here..to give you and idea of what Im talking about.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77779465&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Four feet of topsoil? Wow, the carrots and lettuce you could grow!

Yeah had a patio put in and used all the top soil for filling up the raised bed. Though about and would really like a nice veg plot in it but it's hard enough to find the time to maintain the green house at the mo.

siochain wrote: »
    Yeah had a patio put in and used all the top soil for filling up the raised bed. Though about and would really like a nice veg plot in it but it's hard enough to find the time to maintain the green house at the mo.

How deep did the you dig down to remove soil and install the patio??

Just make sure that you didnt mix in any "subsoil" with the topsoil in the raised beds.

I would deffinately mix in lots of fresh compost,manure and grit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

Carrots, lettuce, beetroot, celery and onions!

Advertisement