Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA to HDMI

Options
  • 12-08-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to connect my Dell to our TV. The old tv had a VGA input so there was no problem but the new TV does not. I am not looking for sound. I can connect up the speakers from the computer.

Can i directly connect up a VGA to HDMI (cable) even though they are A to D? Can i connect up VGA to DMI and DMI to HDMI? Will either of these work to transfer the video or do I need to get a converting unit.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need an active box for conversion there.

TBH a €40 graphics card that supports HDMI might be a cleaner solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Guscat

ED E wrote: »
    You need an active box for conversion there.

TBH a €40 graphics card that supports HDMI might be a cleaner solution.

Thanks Ed E.

Do i really need a converter of some kind (or graphics card). Can the video signal not carry from the A to D? If not then i agree, better to get the graphics card rather than the converter unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can just adapt a VGA to DVI-D as they're mostly unidirectional and DVI-D is backwards compatible with it. With HDMI its bidirectional so you have to have something for the tv to talk to, in this case the active converter.

I work in a building with many projectors and we've had to get an active box for when clients have HDMI(min) only netbooks/notebooks.

Advertisement