Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to go to Perth but worried.

Options
  • 12-08-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I am a painter and decorator and have been since i left school 12 years ago.I have been out of work here now for 3 years and have been applying for jobs like Aldi etc but no luck so i am thinking of trying aus for maybe a year to try get some money and clear some bills i have.
    Trouble is i have a wife and 2 kids that i'd have to leave behind for this time and worry that if i went that i might find it hard to get a job and waste any money we have getting there.
    Is there any painters here that have found work in perth if so is there much work for painters out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Not a whole lot for any1 in construction. Although people do succeed in finding decent work. If your going on a working holiday you will find it harder again. I would avoid Perth. Unless you like beaches, and spending money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I was going to go to Perth as i have friends there that i could move in with to keep costs down.They seem to think there is a lot of work out there.They are plasterers and all got jobs with in a week.But they could just be saying that to get me out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

But they could just be saying that to get me out there.
    If your gut is telling you that they're making it sound easier than it really is just to get you over then it's probably best not to go. However if they had an australian employer that would take a phone call from then you might be on to something.
    While the wages can be very good the cost of living is too high to get it wrong, especially when you're trying to pay down existing debts.

catbear wrote: »
    If your gut is telling you that they're making it sound easier than it really is just to get you over then it's probably best not to go. However if they had an australian employer that would take a phone call from then you might be on to something.
    While the wages can be very good the cost of living is too high to get it wrong, especially when you're trying to pay down existing debts.

I just don't have the money to be over there for weeks while looking for a job.Hard to know what to do.

I wouldn't chance it with low funds unless I actually had a job offer and even then I'd be worried.
    Is there any possibility of work in Britain or even the continent?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't chance it with low funds unless I actually had a job offer and even then I'd be worried.
    Is there any possibility of work in Britain or even the continent?

Not sure,I'm from the uk so i think i could find work but the wages wouldn't be enough.I'd like to train in something else but limited options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Have you seen this?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/wanted-800000-workers-in-five-years/story-fn59niix-1226448737525
    THE nation must find 800,000 new workers over the next five years to ensure economic growth as a surge in service industries eclipses the resources boom, forcing employers to redouble efforts to find skilled staff.

The Gillard government has been warned of a coming structural shift in the jobs market as demand grows for professional skills, offsetting the expected loss of another 85,000 manufacturing positions.

The government analysis, obtained by The Australian, is being taken to business executives to shape new policies aimed at increasing the labour supply in key service industries that show the strongest growth.

In a danger sign for workers with no training, the number of low-skill jobs is tipped to rise by barely 10,000 a year over the forecast period, making up just 7 per cent of all new jobs created.

A regional shift is forecast as Queensland outstrips other parts of the country in job-creation, adding 220,000 positions compared with about 190,000 in NSW, 180,000 in Victoria, 150,000 in Western Australia and 50,000 in South Australia.

Not sure,I'm from the uk so i think i could find work but the wages wouldn't be enough.I'd like to train in something else but limited options.
    Well at least if you had serious debts you would have an easier time accessing the bankruptcy court in Britain than in Ireland, especially if you take employment that can't cover the debts and your essential living costs; you could be out from under your debts in a matter of years.

I know it's not ideal and probably not what you want to consider but if you're thinking about going to the far side of the world without your family because of debts then you may want to look at these options.

Perth is alright, I like it but I couldn't do it without my wife.

Well at least if you had serious debts you would have an easier time accessing the bankruptcy court in Britain than in Ireland, especially if you take employment that can't cover the debts and your essential living costs; you could be out from under your debts in a matter of years.

I know it's not ideal and probably not what you want to consider but if you're thinking about going to the far side of the world without your family because of debts then you may want to look at these options.

Perth is alright, I like it but I couldn't do it without my wife.

I could go without the wife :cool:but would miss the kids terrible.She say's for me to go out for few months see how i get on then she would think about moving over if things were working out.
    I don't understand the whole bankruptcy side of things.:(

I could go without the wife :cool:but would miss the kids terrible.She say's for me to go out for few months see how i get on then she would think about moving over if things were working out.
    I don't understand the whole bankruptcy side of things.:(
    Bankruptcy laws are a lot easier to access in Britain than in Ireland, in Britain (depending on the circumstances) your Irish lender can be forced by a UK court to accept a greatly reduced settlement of debts repayable over a couple of years. To avail of their bankruptcy system you'd have to have moved to the UK for work.
    The whole point of a bankruptcy judgement in the UK is co responsibility, the court orders you to pay back to the lender only what you can afford after essentials are covered for a set time period, after you've met the court repayment schedule you're free of the debt. (according to some reports that period can be as short as two years, well worth researching)
    The situation in Ireland isn't clear, there's talk of bankruptcy reform but we could get old waiting for the Irish legal profession to speed up things.

If you can have job lined up in Australia then it could be worth a shot but other than that I still think it's a gamble with low funds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement