Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1

They're taking the ABSOLUTE PISS ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

gallag wrote: »
    you just know that thing is going to fall to bits in the forth year.

The statistics would say otherwise as would anyone who has seen them being used as taxis in emerging markets with mega mileage covered.

They've messed up big time with these deliveries but Ireland is such a tiny market for them I doubt they will be worried. They are concentrating more on emerging markets like India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

MidlandsM wrote: »
    +1

They're taking the ABSOLUTE PISS ..........

I'd hate to be the salesman being forced to make excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

teednab-el wrote: »
    The name of the car would put me off. Going around in my "duster".

I think "Dumpster" is a great name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

While I agree the delays are ridiculous and not personally something i would put up with, i dont think you can just assume they will be an unreliable car just because they are a new brand and cheap (and ugly) - whatever about the safety ratings debate that has been raging here.

Same was said when the Koreans entered the market here, also the Japanese back in the day.

That said, i dont think I would buy one, mainly because i dont need a car of that size, also I would be reluctant to buy even at that low price point , and its very unattractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mickdw wrote: »
    why have you guys not all cancelled your orders?
    This is an absolute joke. It might be cheap but its not so cheap that its ok to take the piss.

What would people do if they cancelled the orders at this stage? Re-order and wait again, or buy a 3 year old Qashqai with a questionable history?

Shiv happens, cars get delayed, but they'll turn up eventually.

00833827 wrote: »
    While I agree the delays are ridiculous and not personally something i would put up with, i dont think you can just assume they will be an unreliable car just because they are a new brand and cheap (and ugly) - whatever about the safety ratings debate that has been raging here.

Same was said when the Koreans entered the market here, also the Japanese back in the day...............

I don't think the 1.5DCi can aspire to be anywhere near as reliable as Jap 90s stuff tbh.

The issue with Jap stuff when they entered the market here was corrosion, and rust they did.

R.O.R wrote: »

Happy out so :rolleyes:

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't think the 1.5DCi can aspire to be anywhere near as reliable as Jap 90s stuff tbh.

The issue with Jap stuff when they entered the market here was corrosion, and rust they did.

True - but saying the car will die in its 4th year is not a call that can be made now - maybe they will turn out to be dogs, or maybe in 5 years like Kia and Hyundai and all other of those wonderful Korean machines literally everyone in Ireland will driving them - only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

RoverJames wrote: »

Maybe not but what can? We are on our third 1.5dci and while the Renaults they came in had issues the engine in each was 100& reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

i got my Reg number but not my car lol

2013 Dacia Duster Alternative 1.5 DCI 110 4DR

BODY TYPE 4 Door SUV
    FUEL TYPE Diesel
    COLOUR White
    TRANSMISSION Manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What would people do if they cancelled the orders at this stage? Re-order and wait again, or buy a 3 year old Qashqai with a questionable history?

No not re order. Buy something else. Im guessing these customers are all spending 15 to 20k. Its not quite truthful to suggest that the only other option at that kind of cash is a 3 year old qashqai and it is possible to get a used car with bulletproof history too.
    I would have no faith in a company that can behave like this re delivery.
    True sh1t happens but this is alittle different to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mickdw wrote: »
    No not re order. Buy something else. Im guessing these customers are all spending 15 to 20k. Its not quite truthful to suggest that the only other option at that kind of cash is a 3 year old qashqai and it is possible to get a used car with bulletproof history too.
    I would have no faith in a company that can behave like this re delivery.
    True sh1t happens but this is alittle different to be fair.

It's not really that much worse than other manufacturer's though - it's just Dacia seem to be getting bad press because they are cheap.

Still waiting on a car ordered on the 12th October to arrive from one manufacturer. Have others ordered from the same manufacturer in mid Jan that don't even have build dates yet.

Have at least 2 more from another manufacturer that were ordered 19th/20th December, that are built but not shipped yet (should be leaving next Monday) so it's going to be 16 weeks lead time by the time they arrive. One has a load of extra's but the other just has upgrade wheels and sound system. No real reason they are taking so long, can't get any sort of decent information from the dealer as they can't get it from the importer as they can't get it from the factory.

Spend half my day fielding e-mails and calls from hacked off drivers waiting on their new cars, with nothing else to tell them except I'll try and get an update and let them know.

I'm sure the guys in the Renault / Dacia dealers are in the same boat - fed up with no information to pass to customers. Would be much easier if stuff came when it should, but it doesn't always happen.

On the other hand, new BMW's are coming in about 4 weeks from the factory - now that's effeciency for you.

WIZE wrote: »
    i got my Reg number but not my car lol

2013 Dacia Duster Alternative 1.5 DCI 110 4DR

BODY TYPE 4 Door SUV
    FUEL TYPE Diesel
    COLOUR White
    TRANSMISSION Manual

new for €15,990 + 600 delivery?
    Motor tax is €225 and claiming up to 60mpg

They will sell a fair few of these in this country i reckon - looking at the boxes that are ticked.

A nice 'good will' gesture to all those waiting months for delivery would be something off the delivery price - but dont hold ur breath.

I drove a Kangoo for few days with the 1.5dCI in it and while i thought it was not very refined and a bit agricultural really, i thought it was frugal enough in the tin box that was the Kangoo. But wonder how close it will get to 60mpg pulling what looks like a big chunky body in the duster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I know cars destined for this market are manufactured in India, but it looks like Dacia Romania are having some industrial relations 'issues'... (from todays Irish Times here)
    Labour unrest at Dacia Romanian plant
    Dacia workers have gone on strike in protest at what they see as low pay and unfair work practices.

Several hundred workers at Dacia’s main plant, in Mioveni, in Romania, walked out last week when, they said, management ignored a claim for a 25 per cent pay raise.

Workers are also complaining that they are being subjected to unfair alcohol testing before being allowed into work.

In response Dacia said that the one-day stoppage was unofficial and therefore illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Old Station House

After several promises, and an inability to track the car with the chassis number, my dealer says he "hopes" to have the cars his dealership has ordered by next week (after Easter). We live in hope. :D
    The latest from the dealer is that "the wrong clocks were fitted, and need to be replaced". i.e. mph rather than kph. They THINK the cars will be delivered by aroung the 10th. Which month, though??????

The latest from the dealer is that "the wrong clocks were fitted, and need to be replaced". i.e. mph rather than kph. They THINK the cars will be delivered by aroung the 10th. Which month, though??????

ohhh man, if they got that simple sh!t wrong, what else did they fcuk up on the duster? :pac:

- jus kiddin'

T "the wrong clocks were fitted, and need to be replaced". i.e. mph rather than kph.

Seems like the alcohol testing at the factory is justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Enough!

/unfollows thread. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

They sales in for UK are below forecasts so that explains where they are coming from then. If there isn't an equivalently specced car in the UK you might have a long wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 GranGruba

deandean wrote: »
    Enough!

/unfollows thread. Sorry!
    Same here -good luck.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Saw another one today in Dublin, black 131 reg, so they are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

I reckon what is happening now is what happened in mainland a few years back when the car was launched, with 6+ months delivery times for the first year.
    And that Duster is now in the top 10 in India with over 6300 sales last month
    http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2013/04/06/india-march-2013-suzuki-dzire-breaks-record-honda-amaze-lands/
    I'm sure the factory can't keep up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭smilgy

Saw a load of brand new dusters on the m50 today heading for j11 southbound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭rocky

Lutecia wrote: »
    I reckon what is happening now is what happened in mainland a few years back when the car was launched, with 6+ months delivery times for the first year.
    And that Duster is now in the top 10 in India with over 6300 sales last month
    http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2013/04/06/india-march-2013-suzuki-dzire-breaks-record-honda-amaze-lands/
    I'm sure the factory can't keep up

Suzuki Alto sold 27k in March alone in India ! Huge market...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

copacetic wrote: »
    Saw another one today in Dublin, black 131 reg, so they are out there.

Saw a white one on m50 with 131 reg on Friday. They are big and not that bad looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

rocky wrote: »
    Suzuki Alto sold 27k in March alone in India ! Huge market...
    Indeed, just as big as the major european ones.
    Though, my point was to explain the shortage of Dusters by the sudden demand of this model in India.
    Suzuki/Maruti is leading that market for decades ... Renault arrived about 2 years ago. And the sales have been multiplied by 8 compared to 2012 (first quarter) so they may not have anticipated that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's not really that much worse than other manufacturer's though - it's just Dacia seem to be getting bad press because they are cheap.

Still waiting on a car ordered on the 12th October to arrive from one manufacturer. Have others ordered from the same manufacturer in mid Jan that don't even have build dates yet.

Have at least 2 more from another manufacturer that were ordered 19th/20th December, that are built but not shipped yet (should be leaving next Monday) so it's going to be 16 weeks lead time by the time they arrive. One has a load of extra's but the other just has upgrade wheels and sound system. No real reason they are taking so long, can't get any sort of decent information from the dealer as they can't get it from the importer as they can't get it from the factory.

Spend half my day fielding e-mails and calls from hacked off drivers waiting on their new cars, with nothing else to tell them except I'll try and get an update and let them know.

I'm sure the guys in the Renault / Dacia dealers are in the same boat - fed up with no information to pass to customers. Would be much easier if stuff came when it should, but it doesn't always happen.

On the other hand, new BMW's are coming in about 4 weeks from the factory - now that's effeciency for you.

Its one thing not being given a build date. At least you know its not going to turn up at the dealers next week but its the crap im hearing here with dealers promising cars next week every week since before christmas it seems.
    Re the other manufacturers who wont give updates on delivery, I wouldnt be dealing with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dacia Duster RIP

After much research online I took a leap of faith, without physically seeing a Dacia Duster in Sept 2012 I ordered mine over the phone with Kearys in Cork (they were one of nine dealerships in Ireland at the time). My own car unseen a trade-in was agreed, deal done and 1000euro deposit lodged. They gave me a delivery date, I was ecstatic and my wife was going to order a Logan MCV in Jan when they were released. However a number of delivery dates have passed, Jan, Feb, March and now April, but as of today I still have no Duster. I had to re-tax my car and get a new DOE.

My dealer has found me a calm and patient customer. I feel sorry for them having to field calls and not have any answers to give. I blame Renault/Dacia, who never once took time to contacted me directly, even though I decided to purchase one of their vehicles, I wonder would I have gotten the same treatment if I had ordered a Scenic or a Megane?. I only hold them in contempt for draining me of any joy I might have experienced purchasing my new car, instead they have filled me with anxiety and bitterness.

So, what have I been doing while I wait, over the 176 days of my vigil, I have followed the story of so many people and their feelings of annoyance and desperation with Renault/Dacia through various facebook pages, forums and blogs. Ive become part of a growing community, all experiencing the same undercurrent of raw desperation. At this stage I know so much about Renault/Dacia the company, I know the names of the plants that have manufactured them, where they get their metals from to the routes and ships that have been transporting them, to differences in specs delivered and to refitting rubber seals by the dockside but I think it's time to start bringing our story 'the Dacia story' to the attention of the wider public through the National Press.

Outside of the community of those of us that have ordered Dusters, the public at large is virtually unaware of the brand yet alone the absolute shambles of the delivery and manufacturing difficulties of these vehicles. This is a European wide problem, granted it is clear Renault/Dacia under estimated the demand but the global machine that is Renault/Nissan should have foreseen this and had a contingency plan in place. Renault/Dacia's customer service is a non entity and a textbook study in how 'not' to deal with the public. Honesty would and should have been their policy from day one. Matter of fact, non answers wont cut it Renault/Dacia.

Renault/Dacia is relying on the fact, that those us whom have purchased their vehicles cant afford not to wait, as we have waited this long and some are tied in with trade-in deals. I presume Renault/Dacia is hoping once they start getting vehicles into the country that people will be happy to forget the preceding months of frustration, that they will sing the praises to all about their shiny new cars. Renault/Dacia's austerity beating brand will grow and the general public will be none the wiser... till its too late.

As for all the awards given by various 'so called car experts', from 'Top Gear' to 'What Car'. Months now down the road, I think those journalists are now peppering it, hoping the simmering Renault/Dacia story will stay cool and not boil over into the mainstream media... hoping that they wont have to eat their words in public.

I think potential buyers of the 132 and 141 reg vehicles need to be forewarned as I foresee this production/distribution/delivery debacle putting a lot of unaware customers in the very position I and many others find ourselves in today. Very pessimistic I hear you say, no in fact, I have spoken to a number of people in France and on the ground in India and it is a problem that simply won't be rectified in the short term. It will only be compounded by demand in the coming years (specially in India where they are manufactured, as India has released their new sales figures which has brought Renault/Dacia into their top 10 brands and growth/sales forecasts are through the roof). From infrastructural and transport problems, striking workers, sourcing base materials to retooling factories for the new models (facelift version) to simple problems of climate (they fitted rubber seals for warmer climates that dont hold up to our Atlantic chills).

There are also a number of technical bulletins 'as they call them' issued by Renault/Dacia to dealerships to check minor things... like the brakes! Renault/Dacia say these arent 'recalls', but isnt that exactly what it is when you call everyone who has collected a duster to return to your dealership for a 30 minute check of your braking system.

Just think of all those in Ireland and Europe blissfully unaware of what I now know after 6 long months of research. Instead they will only see these great new cars coming on to the roads of Ireland, to be had for a snip.... rush out and order one 'just like me'. They need to be told the full story first.

Austerity is going to be with us for a while, fuel prices are constantly rising so car manufacturers are thinking ahead. So along with Renault/Dacia, other low cost brands are due in the country over the coming years, like the Chinese 'Great Wall' company. You would think that this might worry the more established brand names like Toyota, Hyundai etc but something tells me 'that they know, once the public starts to learn of the growing issues with buying from Renault/Dacia'. That its cars bring major headaches... even before you take delivery. Then it wont take much to imagine dealing with any manufacturing fault with the now famed 'Dacia Customer Service' or their dealerships trying to get parts from India. Where they currently cant produce the parts fast enough to fit in the new cars they have on order yet alone produce a surplus.

I hear my late fathers words ringing in my ears 'PAY PEANUTS...GET MONKEYS', this may very well be true and I know, I know its always wiser not to buy a new brand until the bugs are ironed out but I decided to be pioneer of sorts, take the leap and put my faith in Dacia/Renault. No different than the Kia and Skoda owners in the 90s, didnt those cars turn out OK.

Will I be admired for buying a sensible economic car that turns out to be the Savior of all in austerity land or laughed at for stupidly buying a dated looking 'dustbin' as I rattle down the N27. Either way I would have preferred to have made my purchase with all of the facts that have since come light over the last 6 months. Delays, lies, excuses and faults! So I feel it only right and proper for people to be made aware exactly what lays ahead when purchasing a Renault/Dacia.

In my work I deal with the media daily and have a good re-pour with many of them. In my own business I know how hard it is to build up a brand and how difficult it can be to rebuild the public trust and confidence in a brand that has been damaged. They may well turn out to be a great buy then again based on the mounting evidence they may not. Time will tell...but the public needs to know everything NOW to make that choice and when they do, I think they will steer clear and Renault/Dacia can only hold themselves to blame.

So watch your local media (as, after I clarify a few facts and have it legally checked) I will be sending a release to every journalist, editor newspaper that I deal with. Im sure they will run with it. A well crafted story, smattered with facts and story's of discontent and despair, Ill even supply a catchy photo 'in my driveway with a chalk outline where my duster should be with the words '190 days and counting, DACIA WHERES MY CAR' of course my three kids and I standing holding our shopping, sports gear and school bags very looking very sad. I can see it now... can you Renault/Dacia?

As side note: When I learnt in January of the delays to my order I decided to turn to my local Renault dealer who had now joined the ranks of Dacia dealerships. I said I would cancel my order and give him the business, he advised as I was one of the first in the country to order a Duster, keep my order with Kearys to insure earliest delivery date. So today and to compound my disappointment a duster passed, which has really tipped me over the edge. Its was 131 KY, purchased at my local dealership . Well done Dacia for twisting the knife...

Quality post RIP, what a mess......

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Dacia Duster RIP; Its was 131 KY, purchased at my local dealership . Well done Dacia for twisting the knife...[/QUOTE]

And to think KY usually eases the pain. It's been a farce that is for sure, but you are not the first and won't be the last to be kept waiting. Supply and demand is so hard to predict in manufacturing these days, cars even more so. They have a hit on their hands and are struggling to keep up, in a year or two they may be available ex stock and no one may want them, then we will call them fools for for over supply. Thankless job making cars these days.

What did they honestly expect to happen. They invested €250,000,000 in the Dacia project for the soul purpose of developing and bringing to market a cheap range of cars that would under cut the competition and take over the market. This isn't a corner shop selling apples, this is Renault!. Even the corner shop can do projections and act accordingly ie: don't advise what you can't supply. Yet knowing about the problems they still are selling to the public and giving them false expectations. This is wrong!. They have also recently introduced them into a number of new countries, doing so with the same number of production facilities, do the math, its watering down the finite number that they can currently produce. Actions like this are only exasperating the problem and will eventually lead to the brand imploding. Dacia need a new plan of action.

im still waiting since last october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

If I ordered a car & was given a delivery date & if having given them a few weeks wriggle room & still no car I would have walked away.
    Likewise if the car I tested was a left hand drive model I would smell a rat & again walked away.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    If I ordered a car & was given a delivery date & if having given them a few weeks wriggle room & still no car I would have walked away.
    Likewise if the car I tested was a left hand drive model I would smell a rat & again walked away.
    The dealership accepted my car in a trade in, deal agreed in Sept 2012. When january came around i realistically didn't think id get my duster on the 1st, however I did expect a few weeks delays or even a month. Come mid February I was given an apology, a definite date in march and my trade in value would be honoured so i couldn't walk away at that stage. I would lose out. The value of my vehicle now nearly 7 months later would have significantly dropped and I'm not about to let Renault take that from me. So kind of being held captive and being forced to play the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 daciaduster

I got my duster last week! I waited few months but I got it!

The dealership accepted my car in a trade in, deal agreed in Sept 2012. When january came around i realistically didn't think id get my duster on the 1st, however I did expect a few weeks delays or even a month. Come mid February I was given an apology, a definite date in march and my trade in value would be honoured so i couldn't walk away at that stage. I would lose out. The value of my vehicle now nearly 7 months later would have significantly dropped and I'm not about to let Renault take that from me. So kind of being held captive and being forced to play the waiting game.
    Sorry to hear that! But, don't worry you'll get yours soon!

when did you order and what model did you get

Ordered a black alternative.... plain and simple. Yet the problem will still persist for new unsuspecting customers even if mine was delivered tomorrow! I just think they should be made aware before being led a merry dance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Old Station House

The dealer has been uncontactable for the last two days, so, having heard nothing about the promised delivery for today, I have left a message that I'm cancelling my order. Now I start looking for a real-life car that can be bought and driven away.

when did you order and what model did you get
    ordered 07-11-2012 delivered 26-03-2013 dacia duster 1.5dci signature 4x2

The dealer has been uncontactable for the last two days, so, having heard nothing about the promised delivery for today, I have left a message that I'm cancelling my order. Now I start looking for a real-life car that can be bought and driven away.
    I would wait if I were you! Everywhere in Europe you have to wait to get this car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

That's a pity. They really are worth the wait. It's hard to criticize them at all. But understandably the frustration you (and a lot of others customers) are feeling is unforgivable!

@daciaduster - can i ask if you have an affiliation with Dacia/Renault?

I do not have any affiliation with anyone, nor dacia/ renault! I choose this username because I got a dacia duster!

• Advertisement

I do not have any affiliation with anyone, nor dacia/ renault! I choose this username because I got a dacia duster!

So you ordered after many people but recieved your car before them. Guess Dacia lied about the first come first served basis.

ok - thanks for your honesty - hope the car goes well for you.

So you ordered after many people but recieved your car before them. Guess Dacia lied about the first come first served basis.
    No Wise, Dacia didn't lie! Let me explain to you what happened: someone cancelled their order and the dealer put me in their place! That's why you souldn't cancel your order beacause someone else will get your car ( see last post from Old Station House). I guess I'm lucky!

i would say its more down to the dealer and its like most things - who ever shouts loudest gets sorted out first -

No Wise, Dacia didn't lie! Let me explain to you what happened: someone cancelled their order and the dealer put me in their place! That's why you souldn't cancel your order beacause someone else will get your car ( see last post from Old Station House). I guess I'm lucky!

Then it should have went to the next person in the Queue:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement